Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cobra Products 61000 3/4-Inch by 100-Foot Flat Sewer Rod
Amazon Vehicles Celebrity Picks 2016 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 CM - Mens Grooming Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Sting Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Size: 3/4" x 1/16" x 100'|Change

Showing 1-10 of 230 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2008
The answer is angelic snake. We had one of these for at least a decade and it had proven a worthy sewer serpent a number of times. A few months ago, though, our lines clogged again, probably near the orange trees we kept forgetting to water during the summer. We bought root killer and flushed it (once a day, that's as often as things would go down) and found slight relief. After a week, when the roots would be beginning to die, my mate took our old sewer rod up on the roof and started grinding it down the vent. He worked a few hours, but couldn't get the sewer snake/rod/tape to go any further. So we resumed putting root killer down the john and trying the snake every few days.

We left the snake on the roof, sticking out of the vent. One day, my mate yelled something obscene but cheerful -- he thought he'd broken through. But no. The tape had been eaten away by the root killer.

So we went to Lowe's and Home Depot and nobody knew what a 'sewer tape' was. They had snakes, nothing big enough or long enough, mind you, and every place told us we couldn't do it ourselves. Finally, a plumbing supply store told us it was probably an impossible task (even though we'd done it successfully a decade ago) but that he could order a 100 foot sewer rod and it would cost something in the $140 range. Since the old one cost at least $70, that seemed reasonable.

But we didn't order it. Instead, I booted to Amazon and, expecting nothing, found exactly what we used to have. The Cobra 100 foot flat sewer rod, pictured here. And it was $50! $50 -- not even $70!

We used it successfully -- just another hour of sweating and god-knows-what hit the main city sewer line. Then we hosed it down and rolled it up. We're putting a new dishwasher in this weekend and the tape will be used to clean main line from kitchen to the far side of the house. We've done that in our older home a number of times over the years when it seems like a dishwasher isn't cleaning as well as it ought to. It always does the trick.

It's a great tool. And it's toilet humor! And the price is fantastic -- who could ask for more?
on August 25, 2008
used 3 times in the last 6 years and always gets the job done. it will only work with one bend down the clearout and turns to the street, my run is just under 100 ft so this fits the bill just right. bought two just to have second on hand.
on March 13, 2012
Like others have said this is not an all purpose snake like you rent from the hardware stores. This is basically an auto spring that has been smashed to tape measure size. It's strong, it's inflexible except for in the flat directions, and it's likely to cut your head off if you're not careful.

But if you start in a 2 inch drain, make sure you have the flat sides facing your turns, and wear gloves you'll be as happy as can be with this little sucker.

A bit more about the turns - count on making one, MAYBE two, but never any side to side turns. Really it's completely inflexible in that way. It's like one of those old metal rulers. And the barrel style "wheels" near the poking end are really over sized. They could have probably gotten away with 1" wheels instead of 1 1/2 inch wheels. Too bad they're riveted on and not changeable. I had a little trouble poking the wheels through a 2" pipe because of a fitting on the end that overhung the drain by about 1/8 inch on all sides. A hammer's gentle persuasion got the job started though.

After getting it into the drain and started on the long trek to your septic/sewer line you'll find it pretty easy work. For me I shoved exactly 97 feet of snake into the pipe before hitting the blockage. Another 2 feet and it would have fell off into the main line anyway but this little helper made it easy to shove it on through with hardly any effort. About like pushing a tennis ball through a stocking. Easy as pie.

The biggest hurdle you'll probably find is trying to get a hole to poke it in (isn't that always the problem?) that is large enough to accommodate the barrel wheels. Most pipes are 1" or 1 1/2" so you'll need to find where those little pipes connect to your main line. For me that was tearing a hole in the wall near the washing machine, then cutting the vent pipe to get access to the 2" pipe connection.

So that should give you an idea of what you're in for. Wear gloves, find a 2" pipe, and stay safe. If you do you can't go wrong with this puppy. And it sure beats $500.00 for a power snake that just gets stuck or breaks down all the time.
on December 3, 2013
I've owned and used the same 3/4" x 50 ft plumber's sewer tape for over 40 years. I bought one early in life to keep from paying a plumber $100.00 to do what I could do on my own every time my drain clogged. I estimate I've saved over $1,000.00 by using the tape over the years. However several months ago I misplaced my original tape. I have no doubt it will turn up eventually, but I needed one NOW.

If memory serves well, the price of this tape was less than for the one I bought 40 years ago after driving 55 miles one way to buy it, plus the shipping was free with this one. I can tell by the appearance of the product that it is at least equal in quality and strength to the other tape I got good service from for over 40 years and I expect this one to last a life time.

In less than an hour after arrival of the tape I had the clogged pipe cleaned out and the tape put away. Be sure to wear leather palm work gloves for hand protection. This tape is equally as strong as my original tape, but each of the tapes will bend a little if the user tries to gain more than about 4" to 6" with each stroke. However the tape is easy to straighten and the little bend does not adversely affect performance. So, I adjust my stroke so as to gain about 4" to 6" with each plunge of the tape into the pipe. With that amount of gain the tape ate through the hard packed clog in a reasonable amount of time.

The tape reasonably priced, easy to use, of good quality, is durable and works as expected. The free shipping was very nice and Amazon sent a good product. I am very happy with this purchase. I confidently recommend this tape as a replacement or as a first time purchase for someone familiar with clearing clogged pipes.
on November 21, 2011
Make sure you use gloves while using this. Not heavy and very easy to use ( push in out every so often), keep in mind that you can not rotate it. I found it to be the better way to go versus renting a machine. If you rent a machine you have to worry about the weight of the machine, limited time and cost.
on June 23, 2011
The snake was very efficient for clearing out a 4" sewer pipe between the house and the city sewer system. The 3/4" x 100' size had very good rigidity as well as flexibility and the ball at the end seemed to do the job of clearing the problem.
on November 22, 2015
This snake works as advertised, but let me warn you that it's very difficult to manage. The material is very strong spring steel that always wants to "go straight", so if you unroll a bit too much, it can get away from you. Additionally, it's important to note that since the tape is flat and wide, it only can turn in one direction, so if you have a complex drain full of twists and turns, this won't make it through.
on December 7, 2015
I had quite the clog. Every time I did laundry most of the greywater would flood out of my floor drain. My 30 foot snake usually helped with clogs but not this time. After finding a good entry point for this sewer rod, I was able to run all 100 feet down through the plumbing and easily bash through the clog in no time. Saved me the hassle and expense of hiring a plumber to come out and cost $150 for a few minutes of work I could easily do myself with the same equipment for $40.

Update:
Six months later and it is still holding up. I have been using this to keep both of my home sewer lines all nice and clear. Insanely easy to use once you locate a clean out access point. Not a single backed up drain so far this year thanks to this sewer rod, I still recommend this to someone who prefers to maintain their home personally rather than having to hire an expensive professional and figuratively toss money down the drain.
on December 1, 2015
Well I kept a open minded about the Cobra Products 61000 3/4-Inch by 100-Foot Flat Sewer Rod all the reviews I read mention about the design is not good if you have a lot of bends or angles in your sewer pipes. But how is the average Joe going to know how the pipes are laid out? So I gave it a try... best darn money I spent! The Cobra Products 61000 3/4-Inch by 100-Foot Flat Sewer Rod works like a charm! I highly recommend this product. Its well made and looks like with a little TLC it will last a long time. As one reviewer said just spray it down with WD40 when your done. I hosed it clean wiped it with an old t-shirt and sprayed it down with WD40 and put it back in the box that it came in. And yes wear work gloves while using the Cobra Products 61000 3/4-Inch by 100-Foot Flat Sewer Rod. It helps if you have someone feeding it to you as you push the end into the clean out opening. In my situation about 25 feet went in and it broke thru the clog! I placed some painters tape on flat sewer rod just before it goes into the pipe. As I wanted to see if it will clog in the same area again. So if you thinking about buy this just get it you won't be sorry you did!
on July 7, 2015
My contractor was coming up to fix something, so he said he would clear my line . . I had had an issue a year before when they were remodeling and so he knew the line well :-) He said to buy the 3/4 inch, would be stiffer and would not be too large. It took him just a few minutes to show me how to do it, how to feel when you hit the clog, and then showed me how to wash it off, dry on the driveway, and get it back in the holder. He did stress that I NOT LET GO of that handle that grips the cable, because it would slide right down into the cleanout hole and you'd have to pull the cable out to get to it. So keep that in mind. It's a great tool and sure did the job.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.