Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Coby Kyros 9.7-Inch Android 4.0 8 GB Internet Tablet 4:3 Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen with Built-In Camera, Black MID9740-8
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on December 23, 2012
I received this tablet as a gift, and was starting to get extremely frustrated with it telling me that my WiFi was out of range. As another reviewer posted...you need to go into your router settings, and change your wireless channel to 11. Works like a charm.

And quit complaining about not having the google play store. Just go to your browser and download the amazon app store...yet another problem solved.
on April 23, 2013
I bought this unit and the display showed lines after 5 weeks of use. I returned the unit to be repaired at Colby's Repair Center. Their Customer Service will simply tell you that it takes at least 8 weeks for any repairs. This is up from 4-6 weeks originally. They will simply not make any effort to find out any further information. Good luck if you buy this!

10-12-2013 Update: They finally replaced the unit in May. On July, the replacement unit broke with a defective Power Jack. This time they did not answer their support number. I sent them emails to both their Customer Service and Tech Support emails and they were not answered. I filed a complaint with the NY BBB and they never answered the BBB's complaint. If you want to buy a product with factory support, stay away from Coby products.
on August 22, 2014
I loved it when I received it but a month after I had it, the screen blacked out and it would not cut on. I tried to go through Coby to resolve but they wouldn't return call or fix it. I was back and forth with them so long that it even bypassed amazon's return policy. Regardless, it was good while it lasted but a waste of money and I have NONE to waste.
on April 23, 2014
I originally thought this was a perfect fit for my wife to have a tablet.
It's the right size, good weight etc.
That's the good.

The bad ---
Speakers - bad - you'd get louder sound out of two cans on a string.
No Google Play store - and while there are other ways to get apps - it's a challenge or limitation that some wouldn't put up with.
Seems to take a longer time to charge than the other tablets I have.(HP Touchpad, Nabi II)

The last couple of days it's been stuck in a "boot loop" where it never gets to the unlock screen.
Cycles the Coby and Android screens and nothing.

I am hoping I can find a way to bring this back to life - but we'll have to see - if not I just wasted $100 just over a month ago.
on February 6, 2014
I read the reviews and bought this, but the battery area started to get hot after second month. Called for service to know avail. Tried Sears too. It cost more for repairs than it is worth.

Skip this one.
on May 26, 2013
I bought the Coby Kyros 9.7in Tablet to replace my Amazon Kindle Fire (original model), because the I needed a larger screen for reading news content and the Kindle Fire became more frustrating to use the longer I owned it. Although ratings for the Kyros were only fair at best, I risked the purchase based upon its price and size.

The hardware features are superb. The weight is well balanced, light, and the slim design is easy to hold. I have used the Kyros for three days now and it does not freeze making a reset necessary as did my Kindle Fire (too frequently). The Kyros gets noticeably warm on the end of the device where the on/off switch is located. The Kyros has a single core processor, so some video streaming is a little choppy and web pages hesitate when loading, but no more so than on the Kindle Fire. Again my primary use for the Kyros is reading news content, books, and occasionally to stream video. The Getjar app store seems limited on the number of familiar free apps and I have been unable to load the Kindle app, but I expect that I can find a workaround to do so and many books are available through the Aldiko app.

Given the price and screen size, I am quite happy with my purchase.
on February 23, 2014
I have to say that this machine was terrible. I can find no redeeming quality to it. I bought it for my son to replace another tablet that had broke and was filed under insurance. I saw the name Coby and thought they were a good company and so I would get a good machine. I was wrong. It will not interact with the Google Play store. It does not run well at all and in less than two weeks it decided to die. It would not power on past the splash screen. I tried to research the problem and get it fixed. I found out from multiple users that if you had not rooted it and it locked up then it would not be repairable, period. I wanted to send it back to the manufacturer for a warranty repair, but I found out that Coby had gone out of business. They have completely dropped off the face of the Earth and the company does not exist in any form. YOU WILL GET NO MANUFATURER SUPPORT. YOU WILL GET NO WARRENTY FROM COBY.

I did contact the Amazon retailer, eMotronics, and they said if I mailed it back they would replace it. I have not yet received the replacement, but I'm not positive I want it if it is the same thing as I got last time. Maybe if I root it this time before it goes to the boy I'll be able to fix it in the future.

I would recommend against getting this machine or anything from COBY. I would recommend doing business with eMotronics as they seem to be a very good Amazon Marketplace Vender. I would trust them to take care of their customers and do the right thing, even if it hurts some. Good people with that company.
on June 5, 2013
While there may be better tablets available, for the money this one seems to be the best bang for the buck. It does everything I wanted or needed, although the SW store you go to get new free applications is not as robust as it could be.
on December 8, 2013
I purchased this coby on dec 2, 2013 and received it dec 4, 2013 and my son and I tryed to get it going. At first it was going good but when I tryed to down load some apps for games and other apps. The screen went blank. So my sone wiped all factory stuff and stared it from the beginning and rebooted it like they said in the first review. Well it still didn't work properly. So I got mad and frustrated. And went to bestbuy and bought me the Apple iPad mini. And I'm very happy with that one. So my advise to any one that wants to buy a tablet think again. Pay a little more and get something that will work as soon as it is turned on. My model is if you go cheap you get what you pay for headaches. Good luck if you buy this coby.
on April 17, 2013
I was looking for a cheap tablet that I can use to study, read books, and take everywhere easily. I read the other reviews before purchasing this tablet, and I noticed that everyone's complaint was the lack of apps on the tablet. I rooted my tablet, installed ClockworkMod, a rom with Google Apps included, and after resetting the permissions, I was all set. took less than 10 mins. I have app the apps I want installed!! The tablet itself is not heavy, responds to touch well, and has a great screen. I would google rooting your Android device before purchasing this table to get full functionality. It's no point if it's not rooted!