Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 357 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 385 reviews
on May 3, 2011
I bought those earphones to replace a pair of Sennheiser CX300-B that failed one of the speakers. Since the Sennheiser lasted just a few months - probably my fault, I used it at the gym, stuck it in my pockets with the player, and so on. Knowing that I would not be any better in the future I decided to buy something a little cheaper. After reading many reviews, I thought the CVEM79BLK would be a good try, at $8.20. When I received the product, I immediately changed the medium size silicon ear plugs for the larger size, which are similar in size to the the ones I had in the Sennheiser. My first experience was not good: bass was very weak and the general felling was that I was listening to a "bee box". Then tried the Sennhouse silicons with the Coby, with slightly better results. Finally, I tried it again, this time with the medium sized Coby plugs that came originally installed. Surprise!! It sounded great! Bass an treble were all there and I can honestly say that I never heard a sub-$10.00 head phone with a better sound. The product looks good, seems to be well built, the cable is nice and of apparently good quality. As a bonus it comes with a small storage bag for those who are more careful than I am. Since I just bought it, I cannot rate its durability. I would recommend this product to anybody who wants a inexpensive, with a decent performance, earphone. If you buy it don't forget to try all the included silicon plugs. Selecting the right size to one's ear shape proved to me to be a requirement in order to enjoy this earphone sound quality.

Update on 07/01/2011

I thought it would be fair to return and reiterate my ratings for these inexpensive ear buds. After using then almost daily, at the gym, at work and at bed time, having the cable entangled and pulled so strongly that the phones came out of my ears, they are still working perfectly, sound quality has been maintained. Two more things I noticed: 1 - when I jog the wind passing through the cable does not create any noise! That was one of my complains with most of the ear buds I have tried. 2 - the small size is perfect to listen to your music in bed. Even resting your ear on the pillow, they are still comfortable. I am going to purchase another pair!!
on May 14, 2017
I agree with another reviewer - Heidi T. The plastic ear pieces are a dark green, ( BUT not as dark as advertised in the picture ) but the cord is a neon lime green. The two shades do clash horribly! I went by the photo in the ad for my preference of buying these ear buds , I wanted the specific color of dark green ear buds and dark green wiring to match a specific clothing outift. That is not possible now. The music produced is decent , NOT BAD yet NOT GREAT I'd give the music a 8 out of 10. You hear the highs mids and lows but the crispness is not as clear as others in the same price range. I'm gonna keep them, just can't use them for my intended purchase. I like to color coordinate and have 50 plus ear buds in various colors and there must be very few dark green ear buds with the same wiring color being manufactured. I'll have to keep looking or a good color or green that also has acceptable music production. Heidi T put a review of three stars and her picture is a dead on match to what you'll get if you buy the CVEM79GRN model
on July 27, 2010
I got these headphones has backup headphones for when my other pair breaks. (I'm very hard on headphones and they only last about 3 months in my care.)
These headphones visually are very pretty. I love the glossy paint that gives a metallic look to the earphones. It also comes with a polyester drawstring bag to protect the headphones and the 3 sizes of jellies. Upon wearing these headphones they are very comfortable and do not cause pain to the ear canal entrance and to your outer ear. The cord is very nice quality and has a decent amount of length to it. So you can easily carry your Mp3 player or any other playing device in your pocket and not worry about having it unplug on you.
The sound quality is just WONDERFUL!! It has a 'bass boost' in it and I absolutely love it! It also is reduces the amount of noise from the outside world without having to really turn up the volume. The music comes through clear and crisp.
I think these headphones are a wonderful buy and I'm glad to say they are a better quality then those $15~20 headphones you find at Wal-Mart!
on April 5, 2017
Bought one of these first in 2010 and stopped using it after some time. Went back to using it last year 2016 after getting a new phone case and to my surprise and appreciation, it still worked perfectly. There was no shorts and the sound was clean and crisp from both earbuds.
I had to buy another headphone because one of the rubber fittings on these came off, which made me now have two (as I used one of the extra rubber earbud adapter from the new one). The ones in the pic are the ones from 2010, which I'll have to start using again as I misplaced the newer ones.
review image
on November 30, 2011
As you will have seen from other reviews, these inexpensive Coby earbuds are very comfortable and have a really nice sound and build quality for ~$10 headphones. They would be a well appreciated upgrade to standard issue headphones with almost any device. They come in a spectacular variety of colors, which can be more important to some kids than the actual sound quality. However I don' know that you will get a more pleasant sound and normal listing values with anything else.

So definitely don't go cheaper than this when you buy headphones. If all you want is pleasant listening at normal volumes, you can, and probably will, do worse with any other choice in this price range.

But:

As good as these sound at a normal listening volumes (where they are definitely "pleasant") they have a relatively narrow range of volume where they produce nicely balanced sound. If you set the volume lower than that, the bass drops out. If you try to play it loud, you get pretty bad distortion.

IMHO this is the ideal headphones to buy for your teanage or pre-teen son or daughter BECAUSE is only works well at health listening volumes. They will NOT be tempted to turn it up because it sounds so much better when you don't.

If you want to have higher and lower volumes as an option for YOUR personally use (assuming you are a responsible adult) then it would make very little sense to buy these as anything other than a backup. When I bought these I also bought a set of GOgroove audiOHMs that were much better at handling high and low volume and only cost $2.50 more. They have better high treble response, better stereo separation, and deeper bass (although the can sound a bit boomy depending on the audio source). Another excellent choice is the JBud J2, which is about $5 more than the Coby and has a similarly smooth and "pleasant" sound. It just manages to do that at a wider range of volumes.

So for basic listing at normal volumes these are probably an unbeatable value. If you also need loud or soft you can get that for only a couple $$ more if you know where to look.

Or do what I did and try them all!!!
on March 21, 2017
Great sound! I'm in my 50s, and my kids are continually introducing me to things. I wanted a reasonably priced and comfortable fitting set of these for my phone. These met my needs and I would recommend them. Daughter loves them as well.
on December 7, 2013
Pros:
1. Sound is sufficient for my commute on the subway or going to the gym; not for audiophiles but gets the job done.
2. Because of what the cord is made of, the ear buds rarely tangle or is easy to untangle.

Cons:
1. The worst- When you're at the gym and you're running, you can hear the rustle of the wires rubbing against your shirt. It's pretty irritating and one of the things I try to avoid when buying ear buds. Wish I knew this ahead of time.

Because of the rustling, I probably wouldn't get these again but they're good for what they are.
on June 23, 2011
Pros: The bass hits real hard, Mids are good, highs seem good as well. I'm not a huge audiophile but these are in the above-average range for earbud sound quality.

Cons: Strain relief on the 3.5mm jack is absolutely horrible! The hole for the wire is about 0.5mm too large in diameter, which is way too loose and allows the wire to get damaged easily. Poor design choice to go with hard plastic strain relief- really does the wire no favor. Anyway I've used them for maybe a couple months, and they still work IF the wire is in exactly the right place. Meaning, it usually works when sitting assuming you sit still, but doesn't work at all walking/jogging/working out.

Summary: While the sound quality is great, assuming the wires don't short out, there's no value in earbuds that won't even last a couple months. It's really not worth my time to fuss around with $10 earbuds that don't work, when most likely there are several slightly more expensive options that'll last for at least a year. Also, this IS NOT a case of a "defective" unit, the strain relief is a design flaw found in most if not all of these earbuds. Might not be an issue if you pamper the wires.
on February 13, 2012
My luck with ear buds has been limited. Over the last few years, I have had a steady stream of lost ear fittings, frayed connections, bent connectors, and broken speaker units. The more expensive and better sound quality of the ear bud, the less it seems to hold up to the usual abuse from drops and snags. The performance of the Coby Jammerz Platinum has been a pleasant surprise, both in terms of sound quality and durability. After 6 months of use and abuse, I am pleased to report no problems. My only complaint is the turquoise color (the picture shows them as more of grayish blue), which I bought because it was cheaper than other color options on Amazon at the time of purchase.

Sound quality: Range and clarity seem to be very good apart from bass. Whether I have it plugged into an iPod, portable video device, or laptop, the bass response is far from head pounding no matter the volume or adjustment. If bass response is critical to you, then be warned. However, I did not find the limitations to be that troublesome.

Cord: The cord is generous in length. It shows no signs of "kinking" or frayed connections despite taking a fair amount of abuse. I tend to use my iPod regularly when doing work in the yard or around the house. This year, we did major renovation in the basement that forced me to paint, repair concrete, sand, and other unpleasant tasks. Despite catching the cord many times during the project, the buds show no sign of wear and tear. Sound quality is as good as when the buds first came out of the package.

Ear piece: The rubbery ear pieces provide a good seal and are comfortable. External noise is dampened considerably, although not eliminated. An ear piece has only come off once despite "storing" them in my pocket, typically wound around my iPod.

Reliability: After more than 6 months of heavy use and considerable abuse, I have not had any problems with the buds.

Overall: Given the price, performance, and durability of these ear buds, I would recommend them without hesitation. The sound dynamics may not please the most discriminating audiophile, but a good value for the money. All in all, I would give the Coby ear buds a near perfect score. (This is one of the times I wish half star ratings were possible.)
on March 19, 2011
I'm not an audiophile by all means, but the sound from this guy sounds good to me. It doesnt sound muffled or thin like many other cheap ones at this price range. I haven't tested it much, and I hear there is a break in period for all headphones, but I watched some videos of man vs wild that I previously watched and I could hear subtle things I didnt notice before (low rumble and cracking sounds of a camp-fire). Music wise it sounds decently rich..highs are crisp, lows are good. If I were to say a con, it definitely has less of that "airy" effect you get with open-air designs. These earphones have a hole behind the speaker to mitigate that a bit, and to port the bass for more lows but less punch. Phsyically, I like the fact that the rubber-like inserts that go inside your ear feel soft like silicone skin cases. The package comes with 3 sizes total and you get a small, black felt pouch to hold everything in. The inserts dont put pressure against the walls of my ear but I could definitely "hear", or lack thereof, the sound isolation from ambiant noise. The color of the earphones themselves look gun metal. The wire looks braided and it's soft, not plasticy like some cheap speaker wire. All in all, two thumbs up especially for the price!

Update: Comparing them with my Koss UR-20 and Koss KSC75, these sound more intimate. I would say I prefer these over the Koss headphones, and those models got good reviews to put it in perspective. I had the KSC75 and these jammers together for a direct comparison...and for the same song at the same volume, the jammers provided more sound and less interfered by ambiant noise. I'm excited to test these out with jazz music or classical. For a cheap set of earphones, I recommend these all the way down to Motown.