Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services Paterson Paterson Paterson  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Assassins Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 133 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 140 reviews
on May 14, 2011
If you just need a basic (no screen), very portable ALL-REGION DVD player - this has got to be one of the best deals on Planet Earth.
I bought this for my grandkids with the intention to hook it up to a projector and modest audio system.
Out of the box this thing plays ALL-REGION DVDs (I've not seen this in any other player, and, in fact most manufacturers will not divulge the information necessary to enable their PAL/NTSC/Secam / Region Code(s) - claiming some legal gobbledegook) - this guy just WORKS without any tinkering in this area (I have a bunch of Europen DVDs, because some are cheaper to buy in Europe, even with shipping, than in the US).
The grandkids are totally enthralled; they can watch movies in bed, on the ceiling, or the big screen - just like the movie theater. Something they absolutely look forward to in the evening - no problem getting these kids to bed!
The lack of screen is a non-issue for my application, and, since I'm using external amps the audio is of no concern either.
This is the cheapest way to get data from the DVD disk to external devices...and, did I mention, it's ALL-REGION right out of the box?!!
Ultra-compact, ultra-cool.
Best of all, if it gets trashed, I can afford to buy a half-dozen more at this price.
on December 11, 2015
I purchased this with the intent of very occasional use. I needed something really portable, because I didn't want to leave it on my counter (kitchen) so it would be easily put away in a drawer until used. I was really hoping this was it- it's the right size and portability. However, it NEEDS TO FUNCTION when you want to watch a movie. This doesn't. IF it reads the disc (and I've tried several), it takes about 10-15 minutes to 'warm up" enough to read it. Then you need to push play about 5 times before it will run, THEN it's all scrambled on your tv for a couple minutes before it "warms up" again enough to play the movie. The remote is a joke- you need to be within about 3 feet for it to read the sensor. I could've watched a whole movie during the time I was fiddling with it trying to get it to work.
on June 18, 2011
If you want a reliable, functional player for as little money down as possible, Coby is perfect. Mind you, you must settle for the bare minimum in terms of playback functions. The player does not allow for much in search and scan beyond jumping from one chapter to another. The remote has a limited range, so you have to aim it fairly close to the player to use it. In addition, it does not have any means for tracking the minutes that have elapsed in the playback. Otherwise, it is a reliable player that can play most DVD's, even those with some blemishes and scratches, and is not prone to skipping, stopping or other problems.
on March 22, 2011
Needed a cheap portable DVD player to use at wedding since I didn't want to have to use my laptop. Well you get what you pay for.

The DVD is compact and that's the only good thing about it. Hooked everything up for a test run of the wedding DVD. Everything was fine with the exception of the noise level, then the DVD skipped. I thought it was the DVD so I took it back a few frames and it didn't happen. Then a few seconds later it skipped again at a different point in the DVD. Still thinking it was the DVD, I tried another DVD, Gladiators and even that skipped. Now I knew it wasn't the DVD.

For a wedding slide show / video this was unacceptable. If you're willing to live with the noise level that thing produces, the cheap plastic casing and the occasional skipping of the DVD go for it, but I would avoid this product. Should have trusted the other reviewers that had a similar experience. Cheaper isn't always better especially in this case. TRUST ME! ------ Product was returned.
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2010
The first dvd player wouldn't work at all, and Coby customer service insisted it was my RF modulator. So I bought a new one, which turned out to be a waste of $25. Then I got a replacement dvd player, which eventually worked, but had been set to some weird initial setting -- which maybe was the problem with the first one. I don't know. If you decide to go with this player, read ALL the paperwork that comes with it and if it still doesn't work, get another one. Don't call their customer service. You will just get a runaround. Amazon customer service was great. Sent me a new one overnight.

Edited to add: Still working fine, 10 months later, but I just have to say I hate the tiny remote control. It has loads of useless buttons and yet no separate fast forward and rewind buttons, you have to press and hold to get a ff search, e.g. It does the job and is a bargain, so I upped it to four stars. I don't use it that often, so I have no idea how sturdy it really is.
on April 23, 2012
If you are looking for a top of the line image/sound scrutinizer's dvd player, well, I'm wondering why you are looking at a $30 dvd player in the first place. You get what you pay for and in this case I feel you get more than that. This player produces a very nice, bright, clear picture with nice contrast and deep blacks. The sound is clear and nuanced. It's everything one could want and then some FOR THE PRICE. Also, the player is not hyper-sensitive to scratches or smudges on discs. Discs played on this which didn't play on the last 2 (more expensive) dvd players I've owned.

My only complaint is the function to reverse or advance on-screen at various speeds is accessed by the same buttons used to advance from chapter to chapter. One needs to press down firmly in order to get the on-screen option and it's too easy to do this incorrectly and end up in the next or previous scene/chapter. Other than that, this is a steal, and not just as a knock-around kids' player.
on July 9, 2016
Junk. Did not last very long. Bought it for my son for a road trip. Did not last much longer than the road trip. Not recommended.
on July 28, 2010
I just rec'd the Coby DVD. I took a chance and purchased two, one for my mother and one for myself. I haven't had it but a week and just had the opportunity to connect it at home and at my mothers house. So the only thing I can say so far so good. I couldn't read the instructions in the manual because the print is entirely to small so I just used common sense. It was fairly easy once you connected the cords in the right inputs. The remote you have to get use to as to how it functions. I don't think anything is wrong with it you just have to make sure you point it facing the player's lcd and you have to determine whether to press with a quick release or hold the button down till a response by a prompt on the tv screen appears. It plays great and the cost was great as well. I'll write another review after I have had it a while. Hopefully this unit won't disappoint. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to purchase due to some of the negative reviews I had read. So I rate it a 5 because at this time I'm completely satisfied and just the right size to fit in tight spaces and light weight.
on September 6, 2010
Nothing fancy about this DVD player, works as described. I needed a portable player that would fit in the same bag with my 10" portable LCD TV. I often work in remote areas where there are no signals of any kind, so this unit fits my entertainment needs. Some locations have cable or satellite, which is why I prefer TV setup over a portable DVD player w/ display. I have used this unit several times, so far no problems. Easy packing and connecting capabilities.
on April 23, 2012
Purchased this for the Coby 8inch portable TV I just got. It's about the same size as the TV but it runs in AC only. This is not a problem if you have an inverter to supply AC! The remote controls for the TV and DVD interfere with one another, but careful placement and proximity takes care of this minor problem. The unit seems to work well, but as with all such things it is delicate. Great care must be taken when inserting and removing DVD's so as not to break the Hub or lens mechanism. When inserting or removing DVD's support the plastic center hub with the tip of your finger. Be sure the Disk is centered and level before closing the access door. For long life don't let children operate it without supervision!!! I recommend this unit with the above stipulations.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.