|Digital List Price:||$15.99|
|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $6.00 (38%)
Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel: Questions, Answers, and Reflections Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Publisher
· How do planes stay in the air?
· How does a jet engine work?
· Can it ever be too hot to fly?
· What does deicing do?
· What’s the deal with engine stalls?
· Why do some pilots land more smoothly than others?
· Becoming an airline pilot
· Are regional pilots safe?
· A pilot’s schedule and the cross-country shuffle
· Captain Sully: heroics or hype?
· Encouragement for nervous flyers
· What pilots actually dread
· Exploding tires and other nightmares
· Could a nonpilot land a jetliner?
-- William Langewiesche, Vanity Fair
“Nobody covers the airline experience like Patrick Smith. He brings balance and clarity to a subject all too often over-hyped. And, he's a damned good writer.”
-- Clive Irving, Conde Nast Traveler
“I wish I could fold up Patrick Smith and put him in my suitcase. He seems to know everything worth knowing about flying.”
-- Stephen Dubner, coauthor of Freakonomics
“Patrick Smith is extraordinarily knowledgeable about modern aviation, and communicates beautifully in English, not in pilot-ese. Th ideal seatmate, companion, writer and explainer.”
-- Alex Beam, Boston Globe
“A brilliant writer, Patrick Smith provides a laugh-a-page tour of a misunderstood industry -- a journey into the world of aviation, stripped of the mumbo-jumbo and filled with humor and insight.”
-- Christine Negroni, aviation correspondent and author of Flying Lessons
"Patrick Smith doesn’t just know everything about air travel, he possesses a rare knack for explaining it in lucid and witty prose."
-- Barbara Peterson, Condé Nast Traveler
“Patrick Smith is one of the best writers around, period, which certainly makes him by far the best writer ever to have earned a commercial pilot's license. A soaring accomplishment, indispensable for anyone who travels by air, which means everyone.”
-- James Kaplan
-- Rudy Maxa
“Patrick Smith manages to demystify the experience and remind us of the magic of aviation. Also he has a great sense of humor – which is critical when you are wedged into seat 14D on a regional jet.”
-- Chris Bohjalian
“Brilliantly down to earth and reassuring”
-- Cath Urquhart, The Times (London)
"What a pleasure it is reading Patrick Smith's surprisingly elegant explanations and commentary. The world needs somebody writing E.B. White simple and sensible about a topic everyone has a question about."
-- Berke Breathed --This text refers to an alternate kindle_edition edition.
- File Size : 2828 KB
- Publication Date : June 5, 2018
- Print Length : 338 pages
- Publisher : Sourcebooks; 2nd Edition (June 5, 2018)
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Language: : English
- Text-to-Speech : Not enabled
- Enhanced Typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- ASIN : B07DKJ429B
- Lending : Not Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #182,178 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews: