- Paperback: 248 pages
- Publisher: Technology Partners Books (July 30, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0979692008
- ISBN-13: 978-0979692000
- Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 0.5 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,525,824 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Cognos 8 Bi for Consumers
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
From the Publisher
The Cognos 8 BI Book Series is composed of step-by-step guides that focus on user and power user functionality. The guides start with the basics required by all Cognos 8 BI users and steadily expand to the advanced options available to power users who are developing complex reports and dashboards.
The initial guide concentrates on Cognos Connection.
- Cognos Connection is the Cognos 8 BI standard portal that provides a single point of access to all Business Intelligence objects. The user can access public and personal folders where he or she can execute reports, access queries, view analyses, monitor scorecards, and execute monitoring agents. From Cognos Connection, the user is able to access and browse content, see properties, assign permissions, and schedule objects, among other tasks.
Additional guides are being developed for the major Cognos 8 BI authoring modules. The modules, called Studios, are used by authors to develop content for consumers. Four guides are in the pipeline, focusing on the following modules with their respective roles:
- Query Studio is a very user-friendly ad hoc query tool that allows users to easily access information. With Query Studio, the user drags and drops fields to execute queries. With multiple options available at a touch of the mouse, Query Studio can group data, create summaries, display charts, filter information, and export data. An author who has access to Query Studio is referred to as a Business Author.
- Metrics Studio is a powerful scorecard tool that allows an organization to create and monitor goals. An author who has access to Metrics Studio is a Business Manager.
- Analysis Studio is the user-friendly tool used to quickly analyze summarized information with powerful dimension and variable crossing for complex analysis, discovery of trends, and forecasting. An author who has access to Analysis Studio is a Business Analyst.
- Report Studio is the professional report-authoring tool. The tool allows for the development of pixel-perfect reports, such as invoices and statements, as well as very complex layouts, such as those required for enterprise dashboards. An author who has access to Report Studio is a Professional Author.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
If the the intent of the book is to tell you how to access the various components of the system it does a great job of doing that. If you are a developer interested in learning about the using the product and how to build queries, reports, etc. you are better off taking a look at the user guides delivered with the product. They are very indepth, thorough, and use the sample data delivered with the product.
The sample Cognos project that comes with the product is used for the examples of the BI reports that can be published through Cognos Connection. Upon reviewing these reports, the reader will want to use the products that generate those reports.
Hopefully those parts of the Cognos product line will be reviewed in depth in future publications.
I found the book useful for those who are not familiar with the new Cognos interface and I recommend it.
Good value - does what the cover promises , 21 Jan 2008
By Baruch Morris "Bar The Car" (UK) - See all my reviews
I gave the book to a couple of new users and the response was amazing
I will recommend it to all users where I will implement it in the future as it gives a step by step attitude for a normal and high level user.
It has a hands ion attitude.
The only disadvantage is that you need a working Cognos environment to get the maximum out of this book, but they do mention that...