Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Russell Dickerson Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 28, 2013
There's really nothing bad to say about this knife. Its light as a feather, the handle is short yet grippy, the knife is sharp, and the finger hole provides excellent retention. It was a bit smaller than expected, but not all that much smaller. Cold Steel designed it to be a neck knife, but while its not a huge knife, for me it just feels a bit too large for neck carry. Still, I'll keep the included chain just in case I change my mind on that.

While the knife is virtually perfect, the sheath does have some drawbacks. It is secure, but the locking aspect of it is likely to be frustrating to some. It just seems like it could be a bit more simplistic. When unsheathing it, as you depress the locking button the blade slides out, but the problem is your finger gets stuck on the the plastic guard. It's just not much of a smooth, quick draw at all.

To remedy this I took a Dremel and cut that plastic ring guard thing off. It helps tremendously getting the knife out of the sheath quicker and easier. Still, the sheath doesn't feel as as functional as it should be. I wish Cold Steel would have made it a bit more versatile and not just mainly as a neck knife. A belt clip would have been a perfect addition. For now it works deep in my side pocket, though a Tek Lok might be added at some point.

Despite the shortcomings of the sheath, I still love the blade. Not too big, not too small. Perfect grip, amazing retention with the finger hole. While, it could make a fine utility knife, the design is primarily self defense oriented. The grip is amazing, and it would be near impossible for an assailant to remove it from you without cutting the palms of their hands to bits. If you're debating getting this, go for it. No regrets here. Excellent product.
Enthusiast: Photographyon January 18, 2014
This item is not the Point Guard as advertised. Ends up being the Pro Guard which is identical except it does NOT have G10 handles. It has FRN handles ... which is a fibre reinforced plastic. Very sharp. Sheath has some issues in that the finger hole release can be a problem in a emergency deployment catching your finger inside and pinching it. This is an awesome weapon for the money though. I would not hesitate to tell someone to order it. You will get model 49FPF.... not the 49FP as is described on the product description. Cold Steel redesigned the knife so it is a legitimate product... just a cheaper handle material. Since there is more than one vendor selling this on Amazon.... the one I got from eCop was the one with the cheaper handle's.
on May 13, 2012
Looks exactly like as pictured, doesnt rattle, or anything. Feels very solid and light. The sheath is tough, but its new atm, im hoping itll be easier to work when it gets older. However, my reason for 4 stars, is the blade is NOT 4inches(it says so in the description), it is 3" and 1/4. They must conisder the rest of the 3/4 of an inch where its flat underneath the main finger hole. Rather irritating, I specifically bought this knife because of the large blade to handle ratio, and wanted around a 4" blade. So that actually really is very annoying. However, it still is a good overall knife. It is smaller than expected too.

Oh and I have medium sized hands and this thing does feel like it was deigned for me. The grip is excellent. Im able to essentially make a fist while holding it, so someone would have a hard time ripping it out of your hand. Its light, and looks decent. Came quite sharp, enough to shave arm hair, but literally not leg hair. So its sharp enough for most tasks, and of course self defense easily. Needle tip seriously it has a VERY sharp tip, and it looks good and strong.
review image
This is an awesome addition to my selection of EDC(Every Day Carry or as I sometimes like to think "Emergency Defensive Combat")items. I will say that I plan on threading some paracord through some of the eyelets to make a sort of loop at the tip in order to attach a 1/2" wide J-Hook Lanyard instead of the ball-chain it comes with,just to make wearing much more comfortable (on the neck and chest hair if no undershirt)and strengthen the only weak point I have found. You know, in case I yank too hard or firmly without being unhooked from the sheath so nothing breaks or rips apart like the ball-chain definitely would. Also will be able to configure different carry options using the paracord and multiple eyelets. That is what they're for right? Get this knife. You wont be sorry -Unless you forget your wearing it and try to get on a plane-
on August 14, 2011
I have been using Cold Steel products personally and professionally for at least 15 years. I have many of the their products and even on those occasions when I try a new style or different brand of knife or tool I never hesitate to check the Cold Steel catalog when I'm looking for something I need. This neck knife is a perfect example of a product that is well-made, well designed and priced perfectly. I wear this blade while running or exercising and on those occasions when a fixed or folding blade is an unworkable option. The blade itself is very sharp and ready for duty immediately out of the box. The Kydex sheath is both light and strong and allows the blade to be drawn silently and quickly. It takes a bit of practice and familiarization with the blade and sheath to make replacing the knife as smooth as the draw. The Point Guard blade is my favorite style, but that's only a personal taste. If you have chest hair, I suggest wearing this setup with an undershirt or compression shirt to keep from getting "snake bitten" by the chain. Also, Kydex gets slippery when it gets sweaty. As I said, Cold Steel makes a top-notch product and I give their brand and this knife the highest possible recommendation!
on November 27, 2014
This is a beautifully crated knife that is practical and easy to conceal. It is clear that a significant amount of time was spent on the design. I loved this knife and never left it when leaving home. I left it on the desk in my office and it was stolen in the 3 minutes I was away. Obviously I am not alone in my admiration. A perfect knife. I definitely recommend it to everyone interested in knives. Don't take your eyes off it though
on January 3, 2014
The knife has only had a few weeks of use but has held a shaving sharp edge. 4 stars bc the sheath. You have to put your finger in a hole in the sheath to push a rerention button to draw the knife. When drawing the knife my finger would get caught between the holes in the knife handle and sheath. Took a small file and removed the lower 1/4 of the circle where you insert your finger on the sheath. Made it into a "C" shape and now it is perfect. 5 minutes to make this inezpensive knife perfect is well worth it.
on March 30, 2013
This knife is obviously more of a self-defense EDC than a working tool EDC so if that is what you want I suggest you look some where else. But this knife is great it is the perfect sized neck knife. It is this and the short handle makes it quite comfortable to wear. It is much nicer to carry than it's much larger cousin the Cold Steel DA2 in my opinion. So overall, great neck knife to buy if you understand this is not much of a everyday "tool."
on July 29, 2015
I was impressed with the sharpness of this blade as it stabbed me when I was handling the box that it was shipped to me in. This was not coldsteels fault but the post office. I also had problems with the sheath not functioning properly. I will be calling coldsteel to see if I can get a replacement sheath. Will update on that.
on November 19, 2014
I love this Knife. The blade is made of AUS-8 Steel and I must say I am completely amazed how it cuts and the penetrating power because of the sharpness of the blade and the design of the handle. If you are looking for a Class A self defense Knife look into Cold Steel products especially this one. I HIGHLY recommend both the seller and the knife!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.