Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18SW_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,813 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,142 reviews
on June 3, 2016
So we got this tent, were super pumped, set it up to spray it with a water sealant spray from Kiwi and dry, which worked 100% by the way, packed it up and headed out camping. Upon arriving 6+hrs from home at our site, we proceed to set up the tent with eagerness, and within 2min we noticed two things...seams seemed to be coming apart in one or two places, and the stake tabs ripped off immediately!!! The tent worked fine regardless. Rained for 2 days straight and we had no problems with leaking (thankfully!), but it didn't get any experience with wind. I'm assuming since the tent itself wasn't staked into the ground there may have been some issues.

The other downfall is windows. There is one back window, and one front window attached to th hinge door, then to either side in the tent are mesh openings which cannot be zipped shut, so one of the nights we were freezing with all the rain and dampness. Didn't get wet thankfully, but defiantly would have liked to zip those openings shut.

When we got home after our trip, we contacted Amazon as we are going out again this weekend, got a free replacement, and free one day shipping so that was handy; Returned the defective tent with free shipping labels Amazon provided. Nervousness we may have the same issues though with this replacement tent.

We are going to, again, set it up, spray with water repelant sealant spray from Colman this time, and see if we have the same problems.

Amazon has been wonderful through all of this, but this tent from Colman might not be quite what we had hoped for....

On the plus side there was PLENTY of room, we moved the full sized air matresses two different ways, brought in our XL wire dog kennel, and all our stuff with more then enough room. Lots of room to play games or spend time inside. Came with 2 divider sheet pannels that attatched to 4 locations per side. Handy feature. Only two pockets for storage (sunglasses, keys, mini flashlights, or headlamps,etc) could have used one more, or just been a bit larger. Over all nice tent idea, but poorly done I guess.

UPDATE::: We returned and got a 2nd tent. Same type, same color, same problems except this time it also leaked in the corners where the 4 main stakes are. Very disappointed with this tent. Tabs ripped, zipper got stuck a few times (no rips thankfully) but also leaked in the corners after a night of rain. We used rain sealant on the tent twice, once when we set it up to inspect and let dry, and once again over seams once at our site. We will be getting a different tent/brand of tent. I do not recommend unless your cool with these defaults.

I added several photos good and bad to help for anyone weighing their options, pros, and cons.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 9, 2016
This is our 5th tent in about 4 years, going bigger as more of the kids reach camping age. This is the 3rd "Coleman" I've bought, and I put that in quotes because I think this one is a cheap knock-off. The previous 2 Coleman tents have been durable and held up to all the kids could dish out with no major damage.

This one had one of the 4 critical ring tabs rip off as soon as I put in the support poles- pic1.

The main pole support sleeve was poorly sewn and started tearing loose as soon as there was tension in the pole from the bend- pic2.

The blood on my fingers in pic2 is from getting caught by the plastic clip at one of the metal pole fittings and taking out a chunk of skin.

Two of the guy-lines for the rain fly poped off when the seams failed in the plastic rings, one immediately while assembling and one during the night- pic3.

The zipper for the main door was barely functional and "jumped teeth" in several places, but I didn't get pics.

The seam holding the door flap was particularly bad, was not reinforced, and was coming undone before the tent was even up- pic4.

My feel is that this was a knock-off, I hope Coleman would not really sell something so blatantly bad under their name.

Coleman, any response in your defense? I'd like to hear back. Any way to ID if this is a knockoff?
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 11, 2015
I had this tent for 10 years and i loved it, i am about to order a second as the poles are starting to wear out and snap. It is hard to beat the setup of this tent where you can fit two queen size mattresses at both ends, have plenty of room in the middle and at the ends of the mattresses to store your gear.

I have been in downpours almost every year, only recently did i have some small pools of water in the corners but i think that is to be expected after such a long time, since i use it a handful of times every summer for 10 years. i would also like to note that i had never used a seam sealer so maybe that would have helped. now it is on amazon for $88, very hard to beat for the size and utility of this tent.
For the people that complain about getting wet and zippers not working, you either didn't setup the tent well enough or you have a lemon. Never contacted Coleman customer service for anything but i would encourage that.

I found that stretching the tent initially and staking it down before putting up the poles worked great for me, making sure it is nice and tight at all corners. Then i would put up the main poles and side poles. When putting up the rain fly, if i knew we were expecting heavy rain i might consider using the Velcro on the under side of the rain fly to secure to the poles, but if you only use the ropes at the ends of the fly and stretch them out far enough and stake them into the ground, the rain fly will be nice and tight and will not touch any part of the tent to keep you nice and dry.

Update:

While i still love this tent and would have a very difficult time choosing another tent as a replacement i had to drop 1 star from my previous review.
I had the unfortunate pleasure to go camping during a weekend with plenty of rain. While we did stay dry, about 4 pools of water collected at the corners of the tent. It was a little disappointing as the old tent did very well, only until recent, after using it for about 10 years.
I just purchased Seam Grip as it was highly recommended on a few different sites, hopefully that does the trick. the total cost spent on the seam sealer will still keep this way below any other tent at this size.

Another issue that i was only aware of after setting up was that Coleman did away with the electrical port in the back of the tent, now it is only a vent. There used to be a half circle port in the back with zippers that you could pass electricity from the back, but that is now only a vent. This isn't a huge issue for me, but it is for friends with certain health issues. Now we pass a cable through the front door, a minor inconvenience.

Lastly, the way the tent is setup, it puts a good amount of stress on the front zipper and i can see it becoming an issue in the near future. Did not have a chance to figure out the source of stress, whether it maybe the way it is staked down or the way the poles are setup, don't have much control over that, but if i can figure it out i will update.

Update 2:

I finally had the chance to seam seal the tent and while setting it up i figured out how to remove the stress on the zipper. In the four main corners of the tent, there is a metal loop on the bottom with two pins. one pin is used to hold the main poles and the other pin is used to hold in the side poles. I have always used, what i call the center pin for the main poles, it is inside part of the fabric within that loop, i found that when using the other pin, the one that floats freely within the metal loop for the main poles, removes all stress from the door and zipper.
on November 17, 2017
I've been camping--alone, in small groups, and with my family--ever since I was 11 years old. Over the years, I've used and owned a lot of tents. Most of the tents I recommend are from companies like Eureka and ALPS Mountaineering. I don't believe I've ever recommended a Coleman branded tent in the solo-, 2-, 3-, or 4-person sizes, but when it comes to tents for larger groups, these Coleman tents are hard to beat!

I bought this to replace our old Red Canyon Tent when it got damaged (not due to workmanship or materials). It was old when we bought it second-hand, and we got many more years of use out of it. I looked around at other large capacity tents, but this one had the best set of features for the price. Its rain fly coverage is better than most of the high-capacity tents I considered. Ideally, I'd want a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground, but having owned an earlier version of this model previously, I knew we'd never had problems with water entering--even in some crazy bad weather. The heavier, tarp-like bottom is very durable. That said, I still typically set up with another tarp (or "footprint") under the main body of the tent, just to limit wear-and-tear and to keep the bottom cleaner for a quicker tear-down.

What else can I say? We're a large family, and we put a strain on tents I love that this one give you options. Set it up as one big room, or put up the dividers and you have up to three rooms (they make one on each end {left and right of the door} and one in the middle). There's room to stand in the middle for most people (I'm 5'8" and I still had plenty of head space). When our kids were very little, we'd have a portable playpen set up inside. Now we typically have an inflatable queen mattress on one end, with plenty of room for sleeping pads and sleeping bags in the rest of the tent. The attachable gear loft is useful, as are the additional mesh pockets on the sides. We don't use the little pet door at the rear, but I can see how those of you with little dogs would find it useful.

One improvement made with this most recent model is that they made the front welcome mat/mud tarp detachable (our previous one had it permanently affixed). Now, if it gets really dirty, you can pick it up and wash it away from the tent, rather than trying to clean it while people still may need to come in and out.

To get the best protection and performance in stormy weather, be sure to use every stake point, and use all possible guy-lines.

Also, to keep your tent in top shape as long as possible, remember these tips:
- Don't let people climb in and out with the door unzipped only part way on the long vertical side. Open it all the way to the top. The area around where the side panels change color puts the hardest lateral pull on the zipper. Opening it only that far, and then having people move the door flap out of the way adds to that stress and increases the chance you might damage the zipper.
- When you break camp, if the tent isn't going to be set up again very soon, let your tent dry before you roll it up. If you roll (or stuff it) while wet, and then forget to dry it out when you get home, you'll have problems with mildew. It can lead to a musty smell, unsightly spots, and (in the most extreme cases) holes in your tent. If you must pack up a wet tent, be sure to air it out when you get home. You can set it up in a sunny space, or hang it (we hang it from our deck, but you could hang it from a tree or clothes line).
- Bring a broom and sweep out your tent before you pack it away. If you pack it up with dirt and sand inside, it will act like little bits of sandpaper and wear away at the materials.
- Avoid eating in your tent, or keeping food in your tent, especially if you'll be in bear country. Smells from dripped or spilled foods can stick around a long time, and animals' noses are often far more sensitive than ours.
- If you're not too concerned about privacy, its warm enough, and you know that rain isn't likely, consider leaving the rain fly off. It makes set up and tear down quicker, and it will let you watch the sky while protected from the bugs. Just keep the fly and stakes in the bag near the door, in case you need to put up the fly quickly due to unexpected changes in the weather.
- Check the ground where you plan to set up your tent before you do it: remove any noticeable rocks, sticks, or anything that might damage the tent floor or make your sleep uncomfortable.
- If setting up in or adjacent to a wooded area, look around for dead trees that could blow over or fall onto your tent, and be sure to look up for any live trees with dead branches hanging above you. You don't need a lot of wind for dead wood to come down! My wife and I were sitting in camp on a quiet summer afternoon when we suddenly heard a couple of cracks before a large limb dropped not far from where we were sitting. It makes sense to look up before you place a tent, or your chairs!
- MOST IMPORTANT: Be sure to set it up once at home before you head out, even if you've set it up before. It's a great way to remind yourself how to set it up, and to make sure you have all of the stakes and poles together (especially if you broke camp in a hurry during your last adventure).
on October 24, 2016
So as far as a cheap large family tent it does the job.... BUT on my first use we set up at a camp ground and it was a windy day not windy enough to knock over other tents but I had to keep struggling to keep this tent up right one corner kept collapsing and the rain fly plastic o-rings snapped that was a easy fix just put the rope trough the hole in tent no big deal. Other concern is that the "Fresh Air Vent" at the bottom of the tent allowed sub 40 degree wind chills in the tent all night I put some gear in front of it to help but it would benifit from a zipper to prevent it all together. What happens in heavy rain to prevent it from coming in. So all in all if you don't live in the NorthEast and you are looking for a simple tent for your whole family to use at a KOA then you found it but for my scout trips I will be using my Ozark from now on
on May 30, 2017
We took this tent out in the Northern California foothills this last weekend. The tent seemed to be well constructed and went up easily enough (side note -the directions were all in Spanish, so we had to interpret the pictures, ha ha). We did not have any problems with zippers as some reviewers did, but we were careful not to pull them too hard, just in case. The tent is spacious and we put our queen size air mattress toward the center. I was a little bummed that I could only fully stand up in the center of the tent - I thought I would have more room on the sides, but maybe we need to place the mattress differently. I was a little disappointed that the door required me to bend over to fit through it (I am 5'5"). Also, the lip at the bottom was high enough to trip on if we were not careful. Our two-year-old grandson tripped on it every time! We got cold at night, so the rain fly came in handy to help the cold air from coming in. As another reviewer said, you cannot zip the side windows closed. The windows were really nice in warmer weather during the day, though - there is even one on top, so we could look out while lying down - that was cool. We were able to put it back in its bag with no problem. All in all a good purchase.
on June 12, 2017
So much space for activities and storage! We (a couple) purchased this tent as an upgrade from a four person tent for week-long music festivals. Being able to stand up in our tent makes a BIG difference, especially when it's raining and you want to keep your wet shoes/items as far from the air mattress as you can! We set up our tent before our camping trip and sprayed some waterproofing spray on it. Forgot to put seam sealer on it. It rained while we camped and the tent didn't have a single leak! There were a couple small puddles in some corners but that's mainly from the condensation that occurs from body heat/breath during the night. The tent has great ventilation, lots of room for a full size air mattress, and kept us comfortable throughout our trip! Setup took 10-15 minutes after our initial test run before the camping trip. It's possible for one person to set up the tent but it'll take some precise finessing to keep the tent rods oriented. I've seen a lot of reviews here about tent tabs/loops tearing but we didn't experience anything like that. We just didn't force the tent fabric during setup and were very careful. We also read the instructions in full and made sure we understood them before we began assembly.
on June 24, 2017
We camped with this tent several times last summer (2016) and we are on our currently camping for the first time in 2017.

The tent goes up with relative ease. I'm a 5 foot tall woman and I usually put it up alone. It takes about 20-30 to set it up alone. Probably half that with a helpful partner.

Our current conditions are less than ideal...it is, in fact, pouring rain. Most stuff stayed dry, but water did get in around the edges of the tent, with quite a bit coming in on one side. I still think it's a good tent, but if there's any threat of rain, I'd suggest layering tarps underneath so that the bottom of the tent is completely off the ground. I think we'd still have gotten water in, but I don't think it would have been as bad. The rain fly held up beautifully, though, no leaks from above at all.

We put 2 queen air mattresses in, with plenty of room in the middle to stow gear.

Overall, it's a great tent that I would totally recommend, just take precautions in the rain.
review imagereview image
on August 13, 2015
I received this tent about a week ago knowing full well it would be used right away. Though it was an eight person tent, I was the only one sleeping in it but I needed the extra room for my cot and all of my gear. The time of year is mid summer so I thought this tent would be perfect.
When the tent came, I opened the item right away to take inventory and to do a test assembly in the field across from my home. Please understand I do not do have a lot of current camping experience but I have had experience over the years and thought it should be pretty straight forward. The tent includes the tent, rainfly, stakes and poles all enclosed with instructions in a zippered bag. The tent instructions say that it would be better if a second person was available to help erect the tent. There was no second person included so I did it solo. It takes some patience but it can be done. Don't get ahead of yourself, follow the steps and complete them one at a time and you'll have success even if you are solo. The hardest part is the initial raising and placing of the main support poles. If you first secure the main poles (one at a time) on the side opposite the door, you'll find it a bit easier as you can stand inside the door (if it is zipped open,) allowing you to be closer to the center of the roof as it is raised. After that, everything is a bit easier. Side poles come next and then clip and secure everything.
You may find that the zippers on the front door are under a bit of tension. I found that if I used the top zipper to close half the door and the lower zipper to close the lower half, it opened and closed much easier than if you used one zipper to do the whole door. Also, you'll find if you leave the internal door window unzipped (open), the door zippers work easier. One of the back window zippers kept loosing it's lanyard as the metal tang on the zipper wedge seemed a bit too open to keep the cord in place so I simple took my uni-tool pliers and gave it a gentle squeeze closing the loop and thus holding the lanyard more securely. No failure on the zippers thus far.
The floor is a Tyvec type material and a “tub” type design. It seemed fairly rugged but I stilled used a tarp ground cloth as a good foundation. My cot has 6 legs and in four days never left as much as even an impression on the floor. I did have a thorn or two pierce the floor while camping, my fault for not making sure the ground was completely clear. But it did serve as a reminder that even though it may look rugged, you can still easily put a hole in it.
On my camping trip, I used what I had learned to erect the tent and repeated the process with out too much difficulty even on my own. It is important to note at this point that I did not have success putting on the rainfly during my practice run as the wind was too great. So, if you can, save the rain fly for when there is little or no wind, especially if you are by yourself. I slept in the tent for three days without the rain fly and it was great. The huge screen panels allow great views of the night sky and give more than ample ventilation.
The forecast for the fourth night was for rain so I installed the rainfly. This is where someone may have dropped the ball in writing the instructions. First, the instructions call for placing the “Arbor” rods through the specified points prior to draping the fly over the tent. If you have two people, perhaps its possible. But, it was much easier to drape the fly over the tent and THEN install the arbor rods. Second, the instructions show four bungee securing loops, one at each corner of the fly when in fact there are 8 bungee loops with hooks. The hooks are then stretched and secured to the stake loops at the four main corners of the tent. This design could use a little refining as the steel tent stake anchor loops are pressed firmly to the ground under pressure from both the tent stakes themselves and the four tent support rods. Trying to get the bungee hook attached to the tent stake loop as directed may require you to do a little excavation with your fingernails in order to access enough surface area of the loop to secure the hook. Also, these bungees are under pressure so when you are stretching them, be careful one doesn’t slip and hit you right in the face...like it did me.
Once the fly was up, I was ready for the rain. Or was I? In total, we had about an inch and a half of rain that fell over a 24 hour period. In that time, you could see a slow deterioration of the rain proof capability in both the rain fly and the tent. At first it looked like it was coming in around the tent stake anchor points (it felt wet in these areas), then I noticed that the fly itself started to seep through the fabric in several areas. Later still, I noticed that the tent fabric areas that were not protected/covered by the rain fly became saturated and accumulating moisture seeped through. I used several t shirts and socks to soak up the water. In total, I estimate there was at least a quart or more that leaked through. Fortunately, the ground cloth raised the floor of the tent slightly and accumulating water stayed to the outer perimeter of the floor. Considering it was a new tent, I am pretty disappointed at the lack of water proofing that was done to both the tent and the rain fly. I expected some moisture, but not to the degree that I experienced.
As far as rain is concerned, there is a another design feature that could be improved and that is the rain fly arbor over the front door. With out any wind, rain can still wet the door. And, since the door is at an angle, when you unzip the door, the door swings inside and all of the rain on the outside of the door is now on your floor. You can minimize this by tapping on the door before you open it and most of the rain water will fall to the outside, but not all of it. An over hang of another 12-18 inches would take care of this.
One final note. The tent take down was pretty simple all but drying it out before I could roll everything up which takes time. Try as I may, I could not roll up everything tight enough to be able to fit everything back into the bag that it came in. A bigger bag might be nice. I have since purchased a can of water proofing spray and will treat everything and give it another go. If I hadn't received such a huge discount when I purchased it, I would probably return the tent because of the leaking.
on February 7, 2017
I bought this tent in 2011 and it's holding up very well and kept us dry in the rain and some wind. It's a bit of a pain to set up by yourself and that's better done with 2 people. Enough space for 2 adults, 2 kids and 2 dogs. There is even a doggy door! It's tall enough to stand in the middle and there is so much space that it occasionally feels like sleeping out in the open. The carrying bag for the tent, rain cover, and polls is a joke and never seems to fit it all. The herrings are, as expected, cheap aluminium but they do the job. Good choice of tent for the whole family at a very reasonable price!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.