Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on January 18, 2017
For what you pay and what you get with this cooler, it is of EXCELLENT value. I did what everyone else probably did...looked at the Yeti's and dreamed...and drooled. Then got a brisk slap across the face from my wife when she thought I might actually pay $600 ON A COOLER. Those Yeti's may be amazing but those prices are just absurd and cannot be justified by anyone who isn't literally a mountain man or a hunter who needs ice not to freeze for 10 days. Most of us normal guys who go weekend camping, don't fall into either of those categories, and so we turn our Yeti search into a "what cooler is also awesome but doesn't cost me my first born child" search.

I've only ever owned Coleman and Igloo coolers and so that search began with those two. When I was underwhelmed with what Igloo had out there, I made the switch to Coleman and was immediately impressed by this cooler.

My search criteria where as follows;
Metal hinges (had an old Igloo with plastic hinges finally blow out on me, granted it was a 30yr old cooler so props to Igloo)
Metal handles
Solid handle and/or locking mechanism
Hard lined and o-ring sealed

The Coleman Steel-Belted Cooler fit all of these criteria and was available for the modest price of $80. I deemed the 54 quart to be of substantial size based on the "can capacity" that is listed in the description. I love that Coleman knows their customers and knows we will want to know how many beer...I mean soda cans, that the cooler can fit.

Trust me folks, I've beaten this thing up to heck and back on my camp trips and it has performed admirably. It can take a hit and keep on going, washed of easily with a hose, the hard lining wipes out quickly with a paper towel and it kept my ice frozen for 2 days straight. Also is a sturdy seat option for when your idiot cousin steals your chair at the campfire.
475 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 9, 2017
I won a 54 quart Coleman steel belted cooler in a raffle. I took it on a cross country trip in June from Wisconsin to Rushmore, Yellowstone, salt lake, Zion, Albuquerque, OKC, St. Louis and Nashville. This cooler spent 5300 miles strapped to the front of my pop up campers storage tray. Exposed to the southwests 100 plus degree days. It was 114 degrees in Zion that year. This cooler kept ice better exposed to the elements than coolers I had inside my van during the trip. I left Yellowstone and didn't add ice untill camping in Zion. Two days of traveling. I didn't have an issue with the latch but the sun caused the inner cover of the lid to come Unglued. Melted it off I guess. Easy fix!. Still kept the ice frozen. Since you can buy the std silver one (like I got) for under $70 this cooler will save you money spent on ice effectively paying you back the money you would have saved if you bought a cheap $30 plastic cooler instead of this one. Have had any latch issues. Had this for three years now. Taken quite a beating.
review image
73 people found this helpful
on July 10, 2017
This thing is SOLID. I didn't need my ice to last a week so this is perfect for a weekend or day trip. The latch is the best feature. 1 gallon water jug for size comparison.
review imagereview image
34 people found this helpful
on July 5, 2017
I'm not sure if the same deal is still available, but I purchased this cooler for $55 and it is the purchase of the year hands down. We put a SINGLE bag of ice and some cooling blocks in this beast for a 4-day camping adventure and it still had ice in it at the end!! Seriously, this this is incredible value and the retro look is super swag. I would buy it again if it broke and still feel like I got a deal
25 people found this helpful
on November 29, 2017
Two packs of block ice lasted for 7 days until it was completely gone. Drained the cooler once per day. Mix of being in the car and outside in temps from 50-70. Fantastic cooler. Great alternative to the Yeti if you want a good camping cooler.

Pro tip: Buy two blocks of ice, put them in a cooler. Next line the inside of the cooler with a black garbage bag. Now, line it with a second one. The ice should be sitting below the garbage bags (outside of them). Place your food inside the garbage bags. That will keep your food from getting wet. You will need to change the garbage bags after 3 days or so due to condensation from the food packaging and what not. But the melting ice will not get the food wet.
13 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on July 7, 2014
I took this on a 2 day camping trip and I still had solid ice in it on the drive back. I have to agree with some reviews that the handles are latch feel a lot more flimsy than my parents old mint-coloured coleman icechest and I miss the beer openers on the handles too! Fix this and I'd give it 5-star!

Tip: put water in a 9x13 cake pan and freeze it. I used about 4 of those as ice blocks and they fit perfectly in the bottom and along the sides.
47 people found this helpful
on September 27, 2017
Love this cooler. Retro looks with modern technology. The first time we used it was in August...In Louisiana. We left it outside for 4 days and used it, opening and closing the entire time. It still had ice and was still cold. (Did I mention this was August...In Louisiana?). Very nice cooler. A true Coleman.
review image
13 people found this helpful
on November 23, 2017
this seriously is a great cooler. i have had ice in it since monday. i am prepping a turkey for thanksgiving and put 6 bags of ice in monday night and they are still 4.5 bags of ice left! great room and the handles with the rubber is so nice on the hands. it seals so perfectly and keeps every cool on the insice. the bottle opener is nice to have but the drain is great so you dont have to tip it to get water out. i even had this outside when it was 10 outside with water in it and nothing on the inside froze! that is how good this is...

this is the best cooler i have owned and it is not close!
2 people found this helpful
on August 7, 2017
As a child my parents had one of these but green which was the main reason I purchased this. Quality seemed good it kept beverages over the weekend pretty cold. the second weekend we used it the chrome plated cheap imported latch twisted off. we did the return thing and got a new one very quickly. We have not used this new cooler yet so the latch has not broken off. It's just a flip of the coin nowadays on what we purchase if it will last regardless of brand names?
5 people found this helpful
on September 9, 2017
I bought this to replace the same model that I owned for 35 years. There were some small changes (hinges are now stainless steel, not plastic), but overall quality remains outstanding - well done, Coleman! Don't understand the latch issues in some other reviews - it is a great design that can be operated with one hand.

This is a 3 day cooler that is of a size that can be filled with food and ice and still be lifted by an old geezer.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.