Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning britboxlaunch britboxlaunch britboxlaunch  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 172 reviews
on August 3, 2009
This is only the second tent I've ever owned. The first one was a real crappy sub $20 from Sports Authority. That $20 one worked fine for that one night I used it for but I vowed spend a little more next time and hope for much better quality. The 2-person $20 leaked a bit, was terribly cramped and was awfully humid inside. All of those problems went away with this Coleman. Here are just a few reasons why I'm very happy with my purchase:

First, the price was pretty reasonable. If you find another brand with a similar design for a little less, that's fine and all but I was happy to pay what I paid and get a Coleman - even someone that has never been camping before knows Coleman is pretty trusted when it comes to things like tents, coolers and anything you use outdoors.

Second, I thought most of the other reviews here were pretty favorable. I'm just a guy that wants to head to a campsite 2-3 times a year and spend a night or two with my girlfriend. There was another review here about how it fit a guy and his fiancée with a queen size air mattress very well. That review pretty much sold me and it was spot on. I also learned that a queen size air mattress is actually a little smaller than a regular size full size you'd have in your home. That's still fine for two people but just don't think you're going to fit a giant mattress in there. The "queen" Coleman air mattress I purchased fit very well with ample room to spare.

Third, I like the colors of this tent - definitely not a great reason to base your choice of shelter but I still like the way it looks.

Fourth, It poured rain as we slept the first night. It was a pretty bad thunderstorm and it came down hard. There were not any leaks I could find. It also probably helped that this was a brand new tent, I'm pretty sure all tents will spring leaks as they get older and require seam sealer.

Fifth, Ease of use - this thing goes up and comes down pretty easily. A child can figure this thing out and it fits in a bag that's pretty small and easy to manage.

So if you're like me and just need a nice little tent for the occasional camping trip, this is a great choice. You can see how it looks in my pics compared to a giant 8 person tent too.
review image review image
11 comment| 369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon September 15, 2012
Not exactly beginners, but not Super Campers either, we got this tent based on the Coleman reputation and the good reviews here. The tent goes up easily and has some very nice features, making it a better tent than the basic one I had ten years ago. This was a Christmas present and the two of us set it up in the house a couple of times before camping season just to get familiar with it (and to camp out with a bathroom and refrigerator close by!). We took a short one-night stay early in the summer, and then a couple of extended trips out.

Oddly, despite the drought plaguing much of the nation, we seemed to get buckets of rain whenever we camped this year. Water got in the first night, but it's because we had the rain flap on sideways. The next night, and all subsequent days and nights, we stayed perfectly dry.

There are lots of tiebacks to accommodate the many zippered ventilation and viewing combinations, including a double door at the entrance to allow screening, a couple of hanging pockets and a low little window at the back to let you pump up your air mattress or run a cord to the tent from outside.

We used a Coleman queen-sized air mattress (which also worked great), and it filled the tent space; there was no way to walk around it -- it took up 95% of the tent floor. Also, you can't stand up, unless you are child-like or stay in the middle. But that's fine. This is a sleeping tent, not a living-in tent. But I do think it's stretching it a bit to say it's a three person tent. Three can sleep in this thing, but they won't be particularly comfortable. There are only two hanging pockets, after all, which tells me the people at Coleman actually think this is a two person tent as well. Or that they believe every third person does not deserve a hanging pocket.

Minor nitpicks: the tabs meant to accommodate a hanging lantern aren't particularly well-placed, so the light is over you more than behind you; and the main entrance only allows a half-screen door, not full. Minor things.

Finally, when you fold it up it actually gets into a manageable size easily, and goes into the carrying case without strategic warfare. It's extremely light -- MUCH lighter than the air mattress!

A good buy -- a dependable above-basic tent that fits two comfortably, stays dry, and goes up and comes down without much hassle.
on June 17, 2010
This is a good little tent for my husband and myself. We go camping in the mountains only a couple times a year. This time we went over Memorial Day, when it can still be chilly. Putting up the tent was easy and intuitive. We waterproofed the tent and everything stayed dry despite a couple hours of rain and hail. We were even able to get the tent back into the tent bag when we were done and took it down. My only complaint, and it is unfortunately a big one, is that you can't close all the windows in the tent. It has two large vents (screens) on the top half of the tent that cannot be sealed. That made for some very cold nights. I can also foresee some problems if there was a windy day in a dry area, as the rainfly barely covers those vents and dust/dirt particles could get in there. Unfortunately, our new tent will be replaced sooner than later due to those problems.
on February 24, 2011
I have used this tent three times now, all in winter weather conditions under 20 degrees. It works great. I am writing a review simply to let people know that this thing can be used in cold weather(you just need a good sleeping bag and pad). Some people stated in the reviews with lower stars that it was not good in 40 degrees. Last night was 7 degrees and I stayed perfectly warm inside of it with two 30 degree mummy bags inside eachother and a wenzel camp pad. Woke up in the morning after 9 hours of sleep and it did have condensation iced on the inside, but it was still way warmer inside than outside. I would bet that this tent will preform just as well in the summer as it did for me this winter. Great price, great product, lightweight for the price, easy to set up, it's a no brainer.

UPDATE (2/14/2012): It has been one year since I posted this review of the Coleman tent. It has held up to a great deal of wear and tear (Probably 7-10 trips out in the wilderness, about half of them rainy trips). I would categorize this as a high quality, camping tent. I took the tent out 3 times on backpacking trips, where I had to haul it in on my back (usually about 9-11 miles). Then the next day, haul it out (6-9 miles). So, for all the people out there wondering if this tent can be used for that. I would say yes, but you are quickly going to want to buy a lighter tent. Although, I have used this in mid-winter temperatures close to zero and mid-summer temperatures close to 80... It is a GREAT overall tent. It is waterproof. It is durable. But it is a little bit heavy IF your going to be backpacking with it (don't worry if your doing conventional campsite camping). I do suggest you look into making some sort of footprint for the tent (a piece of tarp/polyester/nylon that is a little bit smaller than the body of the tent). This will MAJORLY increase the life of this tent's floor, which is more subject to wear than any other part of the tent (check out my picture of the tent pitched of a patch of blueberry bushes)
I still HIGHLY suggest this tent.
review image
on August 1, 2011
I've owned the 5' x 7' version of this tent for a few years and it is a well-built, light and, most importantly, dry tent. But I found it a little small for me and my gear. So I bought the next size up, the 7' x 7' tent. It's the same material and quality construction as the smaller tent. The extra 2 feet make a huge difference in comfort. We went camping in the Adirondak Mountains this past weekend and it stormed the first night. The tent was stable, even with the smallish wire stakes, and no leaks. Night time temps were in the mid-40's and the vents kept the air fresh but did not allow the gusting winds to blow things around inside - a good design. My only complaint - a minor one - is that the darn bags should be 20% bigger...it's pretty tough getting everything packed away, especially if you want to throw in a few extra tent stakes. I would highly recommend this tent for Spring-Summer-Fall camping.
on May 28, 2010
This is a well constructed little tent that is relatively easy to assemble. Needless to say, 7'x7' is not a whole lot of room for the advertised "3-Person" capacity, especially since I am 6'4". However, this is no surprise - all the other tent manufacturers would call this a 3-person tent as well. The tent allows breezes to flow through easily due to the two vented sides (under the rain cover in the images). These vents do not close, so the tent doesn't fare well in cold weather, and it wouldn't provide privacy without the rain cover. On the other hand, the vented sides did a great job of preventing condensation in the morning after a cold night, and with a warm enough sleeping bag the fact that the inside of the tent doesn't warm up much really doesn't matter. I highly recommend this tent for anyone who is aware of these facts.
on May 22, 2011
Bought this tent to use for an upcoming scout camp-out. Price was good, reviews rated this tent well, and delivery was prompt.

At our camp-out, this tent was easy to assemble- pretty much like any other standard tent of this size. Nice height inside. Ample room for my son and me, with room to put backpack and related items inside also. Nice to have the cooler/ventilation door in the back corner of the tent. Small mesh pockets on either side were nice place to throw small flashlight and cell phone for easy access. Also liked the included small tarp-like pad that you can throw in front of the door.

Very disappointed this morning to discover as I took the tent down that one of the straps on the tent that you attach to the poles was no longer attached to the tent.

Purchased this tent to replace my older son's tent that he used for many years as a scout, yet this particular tent was up for barely 12 hours and is already falling apart. Amazon gave me no issues about returning the tent.

Debating whether to order this same tent, thinking this one was not adequately sewn and just defective, or to look for a tent with poles that go into sleeves as opposed to hooks for better durability.
on May 8, 2011
I know nothing about camping and I couldn't believe how easy this tent was to set up all myself. It was up and ready for occupancy in under 10 minutes using the very useful instructions that are sewn into the carrying case. The camp site was on the beach and overnight was very dewy and moist, but I was kept nice and comfy and dry.

Only quibble is sizing ... it was advertised as a three person occupancy, but that must be for VERY small people sans air mattresses. One twin size air mattress (8.8 x 39 x 75 inches) went from front to back edge of the tent walls and took half the tent width. With two air mattresses of same size there would be no tent floor to place backpacks and such.

But for one person with one twin size air mattress, one backpack, two totes, and camera equipment, it was a fine 3-day, 2 night home.
on March 27, 2012
So like the big kid that I am I set up the tent in my living room for my kids and I to play with.. Set up was less than 5 minutes (take down was the same), This thing is huge 7x7, My 2 kids ,wife and myself fit inside (NOT needing to lay down diagonally) with our sleeping bags with room to spare for either our stuff or even another person. You can't stand up staight but hey it's a tent not a condo. Construction looks good and we can not wait to take it out for a test run. Most definitely a great buy. Also when broken down it is super small and can easily fit in my go bag.
So I put this bad boy to use on two separate trips and it rained like crazy but I stayed DRY !! some moisture may seep in after hours of rain fall but nothing that will dampen your spirits or your gear, still a great buy
on July 12, 2010
Went on a 3 day flaot trip with this tent. When I purchased it I was originally looking for a tent with a built-in frame like the old Gretland tents Target used to sell. I was sure they'd be readily available these days they are WAY easier and quicker to set up than tents with the sectional poles filled with elastic cord. But...much to my surprise...they are impossible to find. As I was in a bind and needa tent quick I went with this Coleman.

On the trip I set up 3 tents, all about the same size, and my new Coleman was by far the easiest to put up and take down. The poles slide in easier than most tents becasue the holes they slide in to are bigger and the material making tup the holes minimal. If you're not very experienced with tent camping, or you haven't owned many tents, this doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is. The tent also utilizes velcro in key places to secure the poles instead of the little straps of nylon like other tents that needs to be tied. Two more key features I like about theis tent are 1) Lots of venelation and 2) It does not need to be steaked down or utilize any ropes. It does come with 2 ropes attached to the fly, but they are not absolutely neccessary.

The tent is 7' X 7' and we slept 2 big guys in it - both 6' 3" - comfortably, along with a good amount of gear.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question