Colgate Eco Classica I - Natural Foam Crib Mattress with Waterproof Cover, Beige
- Standard size orthopedic style five inch thick lightweight (8 lbs) foam crib mattress fits all standard size cribs and toddler beds
- GREENGUARD children and schools certified the toughest GREENGUARD standard - passes all standards for indoor air quality and more than 10,000 volatile organic compounds
- Ecologically friendlier high quality, safe CertiPUR-US certified foam made with plant oils replacing much of the petroleum based oils used to make foam
- Damask cloth sleep surface cover with a waterproof backing puts cloth closest to baby
- Easy sheet changes due to extra light weight of only 8 pounds
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Colgate EcoClassica I Foam Crib Mattress
The Colgate EcoClassica I is one of the Colgate Cradletyme Naturals collection of crib mattresses, pads, and accessories. This is an ecologically-friendlier version of the Colgate Classica I.
Consisting of foam made with plant oils replacing petroleum based oils, this mattress is extra firm as recommended by most medical experts. The eco-foam is CertiPUR-US certified to be safe and of high quality. The EcoClassica I features a waterproof damask cloth cover that puts the cloth closest to baby while providing a barrier that prevents anything from getting inside the mattress. Plus, cloth binding ensures strong seams.
Colgate's EcoClassica I passes all federal and state requirements for flammability and chemical composition and has been GREENGUARD certified to have no harmful air emissions. Colgate's mattresses are made in the USA.
Colgate’s product line of crib mattresses have been awarded the GREENGUARD Children and Schools certification for indoor air quality. The Children and Schools certification, GREENGUARD’s strict standard designed for products used in daycare, K-12, and healthcare facilities, addresses the unique sensitivities of children and other sensitive population groups. This standard places additional limits on chemicals that are known to adversely affect child development. Colgate has been manufacturing foam and innerspring crib mattresses, foam pads, and crib mattress and pad accessories in Atlanta for over half a century.
Choosing a Crib Mattress
There are a lot of choices in the crib mattress category, so choosing the right one can be intimidating. Here are a few quick tips to keep in mind as you begin your search:
- Don’t compare the attributes of your adult mattress to your child’s crib mattress. Firmer is better when it comes to babies.
- Your baby’s soft bones and muscles need more support than an adult’s.
- When choosing a foam mattress, the firmer and heavier the foam - and the faster it returns to its original flat shape when weight is removed - the better.
- The innerspring design is the most classic. The more layers and the higher quality those layers are, the better the mattress.
- Look for quality materials in the innerspring mattress comfort layers that won’t compress over time.
- All materials that come in contact with your baby’s skin should be safe. Look for Greenguard and CertiPUR-US seals of approval.
What is the difference between a foam mattress and an innerspring mattress?
Innerspring mattresses are a tried-and-true industry standard and a great option. One of the biggest advantages of foam mattresses is that they usually weigh between eight and 14 pounds, as compared to an innerspring mattress which can weigh 20+ pounds. This does make a difference when changing the sheets. In the end it comes down to personal preference, and there is no wrong decision.
Do all crib mattresses come in the same size? How should the mattress fit in the crib?
The size range for all standard crib mattresses is regulated by the Federal government. The minimum crib mattress size is is 27 1/4 inches x 51 5/8 inches, and not thicker than six inches. Cribs are also regulated, but their interior dimensions have a "plus or minus" tolerance from the standard 28 inch x 52 inch rectangle. Therefore, depending on the specific crib and mattress combination, the mattress may be either very snug or moderately snug in the crib. The Consumer Product Safety Commission sets the standards for crib and crib mattress sizes and how the combination should fit.
Why are crib mattresses so hard? Will it be uncomfortable for my baby?
For infants, the crib mattress is much more than just a sleeping surface; it’s their growth and developmental center. In fact, infants will spend up to 70% of their day on a crib mattress. They need a firm, flat, even surface to maximize their development. The firm surface is particularly important both during periods of sleep and when the infant begins to become more active in the crib. They need the firm surface as they begin to push up, turn, and eventually stand in the crib. A solid base provides the resistance necessary for developing and strengthening muscles. Firmer is better.
- Extra firm CertiPUR-US certified safe foam
- Weighs only eight pounds
- Square corners for snug crib fit
- Damask cloth waterproof cover
- Stronger seams due to cloth binding
- No harmful emissions, outgassing, 10,000 volatile organic compounds
|Eco-Friendlier||Dual Firmness||Memory Foam||Waterproof Cover||Non-PVC Cover||Multi-Layer Cover||Inverted Seams||Cloth Binding||Vents|
|Innerspring Crib Mattresses|
|Ultra II - 150 Coil||✓||3 Layers||✓||✓|
|EcoSpring Ultra II||✓||✓||Damask cloth||✓|
|EcoSpring 2-N-1||✓||✓||✓||Organic cotton||✓|
|EcoSpring Diploma||✓||✓||Organic cotton||✓|
|Foam Crib Mattresses|
|Foam Supreme||✓||2 Layers|
|Classica I||✓||3 Layers||✓||✓|
|Classica III||✓||✓||3 Layers||✓||✓|
|Postura||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓||3 Layers + Antimicrobial||✓|
|EcoFoam Supreme - Damask||✓||✓||Damask cloth|
|EcoClassica I||✓||✓||Damask cloth||✓|
|EcoClassica I - Organic Cotton||✓||✓||Organic cotton||✓|
|EcoClassica III||✓||✓||✓||Organic cotton||✓|
|EcoVisco Classica||✓||✓||✓||✓||Damask cloth|
Top Customer Reviews
That said, this is an excellent mattress. From what I know so far, I can't stress that enough. We had an old Colgate foam mattress, and decided to go ahead and get a new one, going with this Eco version.
The surface material is greatly improved. It's cloth; it's soft! I like the look and feel of it much more than the older models, but it does require a waterproof mattress pad to avoid staining, so if you don't want to have to buy a waterproof mattress pad, that might be a consideration. The only other noticeable difference is the absence of the little coin-sized side vents that were in our old mattress. I'm not sure why these have been omitted; I imagine they were either a choking hazard, or the new design just doesn't require them.
The Eco Classica seems to be at LEAST as firm as our old Colgate, probably more firm just because the old one had been used for years. It's the same lightweight design, and I couldn't be happier. We looked into getting one of the expensive organic mattresses, but decided on the Eco Classica for three reasons:
(1) Weight. As much as I'm tempted by the organic mattresses, I just do not want to have to fight with a heavy mattress in the middle of the night for sheet changes. It's simply no fun. The Colgate foam mattresses make this an absolute breeze.
(2) Reputation. Everywhere I've looked (Baby Book of Bargains, etc) has recommended the Colgate line of mattresses; they are the oldest crib mattress manufacturer around, are firm enough to be awesome SIDS protection, and just seem generally unstoppable.Read more ›
So I hopped on to Amazon, and noticed that, in addition to the regular Classica mattresses, they were offering the new Eco Classica. Although I am not a die-hard "everything must be organic" kind of mom, I do try to make eco-friendly choices wherever possible. Since the Eco version wasn't much more expensive, I went ahead and purchased it.
-It is nice and firm for safety, but not uncomfortable.
-It fits the DaVinci Jenny Lind crib perfectly.
-It is light-weight, which you will appreciate when it comes time to change the sheets.
-Best of all, absolutely no chemical smell out of the box and no off-gassing time needed!
Highly recommend this product!!!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I'm disappointed in the durability of this mattress. I was taken aback when it first arrived because it had a terrible chemical stink. Read morePublished 9 months ago by KDive
Works perfectly with our crib. Firm yet seems comfortable. Happy that it is Eco friendly.Published 13 months ago by Leah
We picked this mattress due to my SIDS research. (I have been a bit of a spaz with SIDS research) . Anyways, this had wonderful reviews and I wanted an organic version. Read morePublished 18 months ago by Amber H.
well fitted. the design can be seen through to the bed sheets though.Published 23 months ago by Mia Lee
My daughter is not here yet but it feels like it should be comfortable and fit well in my crib.Published on May 11, 2014 by Jared
THIS MATTRESS IS GOOD, BUT I HATE WHEN I ORDER STUFF AND THE DESCRIPTION IS FALSE. THIS DID NOT COME WITH THE DAMASK CLOTH COVER THAT IS WATER PROOF AS DESCRIBED. Read morePublished on April 29, 2014 by Smart
I am so glad I got this mattress for my baby. It fits my Young America crib perfectly, and it is light weight so changing the sheets is easy. Read morePublished on March 21, 2014 by HRT
I bought this mattress almost 3 years ago when my son was an infant. The main reason I chose this mattress is because it is GreenGuard Certified for indoor air quality and has... Read morePublished on July 10, 2013 by 808shopper
The mattress is in great shape and has been perfect for our new baby.
We haven't had any problems and even recommended the product to my parents for the crib at their... Read more