Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2 GoliathSeason2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 30, 2016
This was a good book for the time period I purchased it in. Very informative and well put together.
on August 15, 2015
Very useful, especially as an ebook. A very handy way to have points of issue and book descriptions at your fingertips. I have gone through the listings and highlighted titles that are of interest to me so they will be easy to find if I ever run across them when looking at books in used book stores, estate sales, thrift shops, etc.
on January 22, 2018
There is great info. on how to rate books as well as publisher first edition identification. Wealth of information.
on December 4, 2017
I have already used it a lot. Like new condition and fast delivery.
on September 3, 2012
If you are establishing a collections of first editions, then this book is a must have. I downloaded it on kindle so that it would be easy to sarch the price guide by authors or titles which works very well.

I use this book almost weekly and refer to it for a general idea on first edition books that I purchase or already own.
2 people found this helpful
on August 21, 2011
To anyone who collects or sells books, Ahearn's "Collected Books" is an absolutely necessary addition to their bookshelf. It has everything you need to know about collecting books, including 668 page list of descriptions and prices on thousands of new and old books, sorted by author, along with the whys and wherefores of collecting. This is the latest edition (2011) and will be useful far into the future.
3 people found this helpful
on June 29, 2013
As with any guide with such a large inventory as every book ever issued this volume is slecetive in the books that each author is represented in the contents.

The other issue is of course time itself. By the time all the research is done in some areas the values are off.

Having said that the book is comprehensive in authors but light on the books detailed.

Like I noted previously no one would want a book like this to be 10,000 pages long and cost $1,000. At least I know I don't.

There is value in this book
2 people found this helpful
on December 24, 2001
Searching the Net, I recently discovered that many books in my collection are selling for two to four times what I paid for them. Although I have no present intention of selling any of my books, I thought it would be interesting to ascertain if the books are those valuable "true" first editions. I don't know about you, but I find trying to identify a first edition as complicated as calculus.
I purchased the most recent edition of "Collected Books" thinking that at last I would be able to unravel the mystery. I was so excited when I received the book before the long holiday weekend thinking I would pore over all my books and perhaps find some plums. Was I ever disappointed to find that my Christmas stocking was filled with coal.
Rather than help you identify a first edition, the book is a comprehensive list of those high end first edition books. This book is for those serious collectors rather than the novice who may have a book in their collection worth wrapping in Milar and storing in a safe place. In fact, the authors recommend other reference books if you are interested in more detailed information on identifying first editions.
My rating is really meaningless because I don't feel qualified to pass on the merits of this book. I assume it is a grand book for the serious collector. However, since this was a very expensive faux pas on my part, I wanted to let others know that this book is not helpful if you are only interested in cracking that allusive "code" publishers use to identify first editions.
32 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on May 13, 2013
This big fat volume is supposed to be a wonderful reference work for book collectors and sellers, but I have found it only good for browsing out of curiosity. Not a single book I wanted to research is even listed. Disappointing.
One person found this helpful
on December 9, 2013
The book is very good about describing what to look for when buying books and the fact that condition and good dust covers are very important.
One person found this helpful