Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 91 reviews
on May 5, 2014
The first stories in this book are truly brilliant and so well written that they should be compulsory reading for all aspiring writers. They're also devastating. Some other stories are quirky or strange. What is undeniable is Faulkner's mastery of voice whenever he draws his characters. Well worth reading. Some of these stories will haunt you.
on April 14, 2014
How can I rate Faulkner? Only by saying that he is one of the really great ones [up there with Steinbeck, Harper Lee, Tennesee Williams, Arthur Miller and Philip Roth, and that is as good as it ever gets]. He describes the Southern zeitgeist of his time better than anyone. His stories [and novels] breathe a life of their own: they are funny, compassionate, macabre, tragic, touching, sometimes violent but always totally on target - in your mind's eye you can actually not only see but almost smell and touch the Deep South. Ever since my first introduction to Faulkner [in high school] I've been an ardent fan, and I have almost all of his books! Pity Amazon allows me only five stars!
on April 3, 2015
I love Faulkner. No one can create character like Faulkner! no contrived endings like Dickens either. Take a look at this country in the time these stories were written. At times he makes me laugh to hard it's a gaffaw! other times he can break a heart, but no one had sense of his subject historically and personally like Faulkner!
on June 23, 2014
I ordered this edition specifically because it was a hardback and because it was the most inclusive collection of Faulkner stories I could find. At 900 pages it is certainly that. It is certainly hardback although the quality of the paper makes me think the text block was originally part of the paperback edition. Either way, I have it now and expect to have a long and enjoyable reading experience. And a volume I can pass on to one of my adult children.
on July 23, 2014
Nothing better than Faulkner. Faulkner is the greatest. My only problem is wanting to read the sentences over and over for their beauty, vividness, and character revelations. Gripping, fun, humorous, deep, true to the times, thought-provoking in the most honest way.
on September 21, 2013
I have not read any William Faulkner since college and I am now rereading books that I enjoyed way back then. The vocabulary is awsome, and I do not read rapidly in his books, but the stories are excellent. It's so funny and so true of a time and place that no longer exists. Faulkner is not an easy read, but it is worth every minute you spend on it.
on July 21, 2011
I love a good short story and Faulkner hit the spot for me with this collection of various tales from the Country to Beyond. My favorite story was The Bear Hunt, but there were so many that were good in an creepy way like the story Wash. I had to re-read that ending a couple of times and afterwards, I read the whole story over again to put the pieces of the puzzle in place.

Every section has good stories in them and some better than other. Reading Faulkner ain't no walk in the park though. In the Beyond section of the book the stories are a little more difficult to read and understand. That section alone is the reason I gave the book four stars and not five. Carcassonne may be poetic and beautiful to some but it's...I don't know read it for yourself. Faulkner kind of puts you in your place and says, "I know poetry, you know nothing". I'll keep reading until I do understand though.

I've been reading Faulkner's works for about 5 months straight and I think this collection of stories is what I should have started with first. I hope that if you decide to take on Faulkner to start here and save The Sound and the Fury for later...but not too much later.

Enjoy.
on April 20, 2015
Excellent collection of short stories with the history of each story in the appendix. Recommend for any fan of Faulkner's work.
on March 12, 2012
Todays readers may find the frequent use of politically incorrect language highly offensive. It is, however a retrospective of the South as it was, not as it is today. The stories are based on Faulkner's experiences of growing up in Mississipi and drawing his characters from real people he knew. They were what they were, influenced by the Civil War and of the Reconstruction era that followed.
The characters had their flaws but at the same time were as real as Ring Lardners characters were to Northers readers. Young readers who never experienced this era will see through a window of time that is gone forver.
on January 14, 2014
What can you say about Faulkner? Either you don't understand him or you consider him one of the greatest writers of the 20th century.
I think that he, along with Melville is the greatest American writer.