Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by us the duo STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 18, 2013
I bought The Woody Allen Collection, Set 1 (featuring Annie Hall, Manhattan, Sleeper, etc.) as a gift to myself.

A client was generous enough to give me an Amazon gift card for the holidays. Granted, I already had a few of the films but I figured it was a good time for an upgrade. But, the DVDs featured (and this was apparent upfront) didn't come with any additional bells or whistles. In fact, they're identical to your basic, garden-variety DVDs. While I like this collection, I did have a hard time choosing among them.

It just doesn't seem like any particular one is very well thought out. Maybe they are from a marketing standpoint - 'cause to get everything you actually want you have to buy them all. But, if I could construct my OWN Woody Allen collection I guess I'd lump all of the outrageous comedies together (Sleeper, Bananas, What You Always Wanted to Know About Sex..., Broadway Danny Rose, etc.). In a separate box set, I'd put the more emotion-based films (Manhattan, Interiors, etc.).

That's what leads me to a 4 vs. a 5 rating. It's not the films themselves. It's the way they're matched together.
2 helpful votes
on November 6, 2016
Bananas is not Woody's best effort, but is still worth viewing. There are some very good moments all through the movie, although I could've done without all the girlie magazine scene in the beginning; it wasn't that funny. The set-up was pretty good, and it's amazing that ABC allowed themselves to be used as the butt of the joke. Look for Sylvester Stallone in a non-speaking role in the subway scene.
on January 10, 2013
Of the Woody Allen film collections available this was my choice. It ended up costing less than $10 a film and has a good collection of the films that made him famous. Although he did not direct Play It Again Sam, that should be part of the collection as it was made during the same period as the films in this collection. It's worth noting that some of the material begins to be slightly dated, such as Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex, perhaps the weaker of the group, but considering the later collections and the uneven nature of his very large output, this is still my first choice. I would have to have a lot of money to make another investment of another bulk group of his later films and there are so many other film makers out there before I would do that.
on May 5, 2016
There were two or three funny lines, but I wasn't impressed. The whole thing was disjointed and flat and, well, dull. Stereotypical. It was produced at a time when this kind of thing was in vogue, I guess, but the whole thing just seemed hollow. In fact, I can't even remember whether I even finished watching it.
on October 28, 2016
The humor in this comedy revolves around a promiscuous nerdy character played by Woody Allen and a fictitious banana republic in south America. As you can tell by the amount of stars I gave the movie, it does a good job making a comedy on the subject matter.
on November 1, 2016
This was my first Woody Allen to watch ever. I watched it first almost a decade ago. I fell in love with it all over again within the first 5 mins. The music, the slapstick, and hilarious sports commentary are golden.
on September 21, 2007
This collection features some of the best of Woody Allen. Bananas was simply outrageous fun along with Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex.
"Sleeper" is a look at life in 2073 a la Woody Allen. This too was a fun movie. "Annie Hall" and "Manhattan" were perfect depicting life and love in New York City. I am hoping to see Stardust Memories and Interiors soon since I just received this collection. If you admire the work of Woody Allen then this collection is for you. Too bad "Take the Money and Run" is not in this bunch. I had to order it separately but "TTMAR" was hilarious for Woody's first movie! Enjoy!
on April 30, 2016
You have to like Woody Allen to like Woody Alan movies. Stupid plot, dumb, jokes, the usual stuff. Still, I liked it. Louise Lassiter always adds a sembelence of normality to absurd situations. There are better Woody Allen movies .. lots of them.
on October 28, 2016
Unfortunately not as good as I remembered it. But it is fun. Not exactly biting satire about the malicious insanity of US foreign policy, but gets in a few good digs.
on April 19, 2016
It is clearly a sort of funny but not totally funny movie by Woody Allen. There are funny moments and a clear sense of his brand of humor but he relied too much on slap-stick kind of comedy in this film.