Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
Color Harmony in your Paintings Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
- ASIN : B0056JSLC4
- Publisher : North Light Books (July 1, 2012)
- Publication date : July 1, 2012
- Language : English
- File size : 20452 KB
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Not Enabled
- Print length : 128 pages
- Lending : Not Enabled
- Best Sellers Rank: #432,727 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Kessler's well illustrated book shows how to use color to establish depth and form, create eye-pleasing contrasts, convey different times of the day and specific atmospheric conditions, and heighten the expressiveness and impact of a painting. She also emphasizes the importance of using the color wheel as we paint. It surprises her that many artists do not have the color wheel close at hand while painting. Color is just that important!
"Color Harmony" is organized into six sections:
1. The Basics of Color (properties, mixing, matching)
2. Choosing a Color Scheme
3. Discovering the Munsell Color Wheel
4. Mastering the Contrasts of Color (varying value, temperature, and intensity)
5. How Light and Atmosphere Affect Color (depth; variations with time of day and weather)
6. Designing With Color (a full demonstration that ties all the principles together)
This book can serve as a good guide for the new artist... and a refresher guide for those who are not so new.
After mastering watercolor, I want to move to oils; this book's review of color harmony and mixing hints and techniques is exhilarating: I feel I can avoid some common pitfalls, and adapt more quickly to oils as a media.
I first read Margaret Kessler's writing exerpts in "everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Oil Painting'... I find her instruction uniquely clear, to the point and immediately helpful. I highly recommend this book to others who love to learn or relearn the color theory and techniques underlying successful outcomes.
Top reviews from other countries