Customer Reviews: Columbia Men's Cubist 2.0 Jacket, Black, Medium
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on November 4, 2012
As someone whose idea of cold is in the 60s, and "are you kidding me?" weather is in the 40s, I was kind of nervous about my recent (October 2012) trip to Colorado. I intended on doing the typical touristy scenic drives and hikes: Pikes Peak, Rocky Mountain National Park,etc. Besides an impractical leather jacket, I only had a light fleece jacket, and I knew that I would have to get something that would be more warm and provide some protection against the possible nasty weather changes. I actually ended up going to Outdoor world and tried on several jackets, and finally decided on the Cubist 2.0 from Columbia. It was relatively light, was warm without being too stuffy, looked great, and was around the middle of the road price-wise (my shopping philosophy). I did a quick scan on Amazon's iPhone app, and noticed it was the same price on their site ($180), so I purchased it without regret. Upon getting home, I double checked on the website, and noticed the price was much lower, so I ended up returning the jacket to Outdoor World, and purchased it from here. Even with express shipping, I saved > $60 which was a win in my book! Weird that the app didn't show Amazon's discount price though...
As for the jacket itself, it performed excellently during the trip. At first the weather wasn't too cold, which was disappointing, as I wanted to get some use out of the jacket. As soon as I drove up to the Rocky Mountain trails however, the temperature soon dipped into the 30-40s, and it gave me an excellent opportunity to try it out. I will say I was absolutely impressed with the comfort and quality of the jacket. When it started snowing on one of the trails (my first time seeing snow, by the way), I felt extremely comfortable with only a long sleeve shirt on underneath. I never felt like it was too stuffy or bulky, it always felt just right. I won't get into all the technical details of how awesome and futuristic this jacket is, suffice it to say that a lot of research went into making this an ideal jacket for cold weather. I joke with my friends that it's a jacket from the future, and I actually don't feel that's an inaccurate assessment. I felt like I could have been out in the snow all day and would have felt just as comfortable as when i first put it on in the store. I have gotten many compliments from family and friends regarding the comfort, quality, and look of the jacket (I bought the black and grey model). I am absolutely pleased with my purchase, and even though the chances of me wearing it down in sunny south Florida are pretty slim, I look forward to my next cold weather adventure!
on March 10, 2013
It's almost end of the season now and many jackets are on sale - so you can find this jacket for as low as around $100 which is a bargain. But even with its $180 MSRP this jacket is still a great value. You get plenty of features with this jacket, sometimes more you get from jackets that cost 3 times more.

I use this jacket for skiing only. I know many people use it as their day to day jacket and for cold weather. I have a good quality down jacket for that so I use this one for skiing.

The Features that I especially liked are:
* waterproof/breathable
* 'omni heat' i.e. reflective coating that is supposed to be really warm. It's a relatively new feature the Columbia is pushing and time will tell how successful it is. Bottom line is this jacket is warm, while still not being to bulky. I used it for skiing on a VERY cold day: approx 15F, and around 0F with windchill. I wore only a long sleeve t-shirt as a base layer and a thin Columbia fleece and felt very comfortable.
* many pockets: hand warmers, chest pocket, media pocket, google pocket, security pocket... very useful!
* D-ring that I use for my ski pass
* key holder in one of the pocket
* powder skirt
* armpit zippers for venting
* removable hoodie
* collar is wide enough so you can zip it all the way up even when wearing a neck fleece or scarf

I really don't like 'interchangeable' jackets like all those 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 that has jacket inside a jacket. I had one and found it too be too 'heavy' and bulky. I also don't like just a shell because then you have to wear an extra layer. I think an insulated jacket is the way to go for skiing. You can dress relatively light underneath the jacket so you're warm enough when you're inside (like on your lunch break during skiing) and then the jacket adds that extra warm layer that you need for the outside. The Cubist 2.0 is just the right jacket in this sense. It is a single layer that is insulated on one hand and has the Omni-Heat on the other hand so it's perfect for me.

the only thing i was not fully happy with is how this jacket looks. I think the shell Columbia used on the outside looks a little cheap (in terms of looks I mean. It is supposed to be a quality shell) and in my opinion the colors they selected are not great. I use the 'sea salt' which is a fancy name for "off white" or "greyish white".

I wear a size up just to feel more comfortable so the fit is a little loose. If you get your actual size the fit is pretty 'slim' (as in the picture on amazon).

Overall I like this jacket for the many features it has, the Columbia quality and warranty and for the great value.
on December 10, 2012
Bought this for really cold weather in Northern Nevada two months ago, haven't needed it more than three times so far this season. Modern tech materials seem to work as advertised okay, good fit with light layers [merino wool] really best for me at temps under 35F. Good wind resistance and in one light rain water beaded and ran off, jacket kept me dry over a one hour walk. Hood is not huge but fits over a ball cap, is not insulated but has an inner and outer layer, and removes easily from jacket which I like, sleeves are snug at cuff and up to armpit, sleeve and body length is right for my torso. Zippers seem very good, first item I check because of poor quality zips/channels I've seen on other garments.

Jacket photograph on model seems accurate, cut for me is slim, not 'athletic' IMO, but not a loose fit either. I don't think the sleeves are cut for bulked up arms.

I'm tired of black or blue jackets, my wife was shocked I bought the red color, but I decided it was a safety color for winter!
Update 10 May 2013
Got some good use of this jacket in February and March. On walks I never got wet thru the jacket from snow melting on my shoulders. For me the pit zips with mesh backing were very useful in not overheating once I learned to open them partially before leaving home because they were awkward to open while on the move if fully closed. I even found the snow skirt useful when swirling winds blow strong down from the Sierra. This is not a bulky jacket and I always had full and easy movement of my arm motions. Well worth the price for my use, and now the Cubist 2.0 is going into storage until cold weather returns.
on March 21, 2013
The jacket is very comfortable and has great pockets to hold all of the items I carry during skiing. I usually wear a XL or a L-Tall and the sleeves are plenty long. I liked the single layer coat and it did not have all the bulk of the 2 piece shell and fleece coats.
on February 25, 2013
I've been a big fan of Columbia jackets for a long time, but I've never actually owned one. I tried this jacket on at a Cabela's, but when I saw the $180 price tag, I put it back. I found it a month or so later here on Amazon at a much better price and since getting it, I have been impressed. It is warm, but not too warm, and I like the fit. I'm about 6'0" and I'm not a fan of jackets that hang down past your butt, so this fit the bill. I also like the spandex-like material sewed into the sleeves that creates a nice seal once you put your hands through--there's nothing worse than a cold winter breeze blowing up your sleeves. The coat is also very light, so you don't feel weighed down when you're wearing it. I'm not much for a hood, so it is nice to be able to take it off when I don't need it. It hasn't been too cold or snowy this winter, but on the days it's been in the teens, I've been plenty warm.
on February 4, 2013
I bought and returned several jackets before finding this Cubist. I was skeptical of the thin metal-like lining keeping me warm, but it has performed well so far. I live in the Dallas area and the temperature was only in the 30's, so I don't know how cold the jacket will support, but I can wear a liner (doesn't support a zip in linner) in it if needed. I would have given the jacket a 5, but the jury is still out on how long the elastic like cuffs will last.
on January 3, 2013
this jacket is awsome! well worth the investment. i was a north face fan for my winter jackets but after i have worn this jacket in -30 degree wind chill temperatures and still was warm i have changed my mind about columbia jackets
on February 7, 2013
This jacket is one of the best purchases i have recently made. The sizing is true to form and the jacket is very warm withouta lot of extra bulkiness to it. I would highly recommend this if you are looking for a simple warm winter coat.
on December 20, 2012
I wanted a light colored jacket (that could be seen in the dark), light weight, capable of standing up to winter temperatures (in the MidAtlantic states), wick away moisture during exertion (such as snow shoveling), and had sufficient accessible pockets to hold wallet, gloves, etc. While I have not tested the low temperature and wick away aspects of the jacket as yet, so far I am pleased with this product.
on February 13, 2013
I have been buying Columbia jackets for years as I feel they are a great value for the price and I was shocked when this one arrived and saw that was as light as a spring or fall jacket but just as warm as its predecessor. Very pleased with my purchase!