Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 644 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 675 reviews
on September 10, 2014
The cold temperatures is where this Columbia soft shell is most useful. Its warm inner fabric and wind/water resistance outer shell helps to keep me toasty warm! I should point out that I also have a heavier Columbia outer shell similar to this soft shell that I used in unison with an older Columbia soft shell jacket that I somehow misplaced (bummer). Needless to say I HAD to get another one because the quality of the great layer piece was soo good.

Size:XXL
Height: 6' 0"
Weight: 245lbs
Build: Athletic

Pros: (1) a wind and water resistant outer surface, (2) A high collar that zips to one's chin, (3) a strong and reliable zipper system, (4) draw strings at the waist, (5) generous sleeves with adjustable Velcro pull back closers, (5) inside fleece like material that feels great against the skin (6) well built and sturdy construction, (7) PRICE!!!

Cons: (1) Waist is a bit loose fitting (good thing for the drawstrings) but it still could have been cut a little slimmer, (2) The fleece like material used inside of the arms is a bit "grabby" (It doesn't bother me though -just thought that you should know), (3) runs a bit smaller than the last Columbia Soft Shell that I owned.

I use this great layer piece throughout the cooler Fall, and colder Winter months. Put on a mock/turtle neck with this soft shell and you will be in great shape for those cooler/colder days. I use it while driving as most winter coats are too bulky to drive in comfortably. There are so many good things to say about this jacket that I think that you get the picture. I hope that what I shared will help you make an informed decision.

I recommend this great soft shell!
on October 30, 2011
I didn't buy this here but I thought I should share my opinion on this jacket. First of all, the sizing of this jacket is made a little smaller than what most people would think. I normally wear large and I feel very comfortable. I got this jacket large size and it felt very tight in the under arms and shoulder area. I exchanged for a XL and it feels way better...It seems as if there is a huuuuge gap between a Large and a XL....The jacket is warm but you want to wear a hoody inside for the winter.

Update 11/12/11: I'm very glad I exchanged the jacket for a XL. It looks and feels way better. I love the design of this jacket. It really makes you look sharp.

Update: 03/20/12

I lost a bit of weight and the XL is too baggy for me. I purchased this jacket again in a large and it fits perfectly with room for a hoody. I'm 5'9 178lbs. I wish Columbia implement omni heat in this jacket. I think this is the best looking Columbia jacket.
on October 9, 2014
Disclaimer, have had this jacket for about 2 weeks.
Quality: It looks and feels like a well made product with double stitches at most seams. I have tested its "water-resistant" qualities, and needless to say that this jacket is not meant to replace a rain coat of any caliber. Basically it can protect against light drizzle for a bit or water spilled on it but not sustained rain.
Look: It looks good, the material makes it feel more high end than it actually is and it can be worn with almost anything.
Comfort: the lining material is very comfortable, but not thick. This jacket is not meant for sub-zero climates, instead it should be worn on could fall and spring days and maybe early and late winter (30-60 F). this jacket is good at keeping heat in when its cold, but that can also be troublesome when its warmer or your doing strenuous activity (like hiking uphill).
I would reccomend this product to someone who is looking for a good looking, high quality, comfortable fall jacket. AND its cheaper than North Face with the same qualities. I basically equate Columbia to an adult version of the North Face.
on March 6, 2014
PRICE
Great price. About a month ago just the black colored option dropped to $50.17 and I pulled the trigger.

FIT
I went with the XL due to having broad shoulders and it fits just right., slightly snug.
I always have a hard time finding clothing that fits correctly and usually try to error on the side of baggy vs tight.
Just for reference to potential buyers that don't fit into the suggested ranges , I'm 6' 210lbs with 56" shoulders , 46" chest and a 34" waist.

FUNCTION
Living in the SF bay area there tends to be micro-climates and that's where I feel this jacket shines.
When it's zipped up it offers protection from the wind and cold while still being breathable.
I've worn it in rain from a light drizzle to pouring and the drops bead up and remain on the surface.
I have not done this for extended periods of time so I can't say if that would be the case if I was standing in a constant downpour of over an hour.

STYLE
I like the way it fits and I have received a lot of complements about it.
on October 22, 2014
Looks very nice but the sizing is weird. Tight in the shoulders, and I thought it was short. Ended up finding tall sizes in the original ascender jacket and it fit much better, I could even wear layers under the jacket. This one seemed small in the some spots and going a size up would be way to big in other spots.
on May 1, 2014
My husband asked for a new fleece for his birthday--he's one of those guys that wears one item for as long as it will last, and his other fleece finally croaked--and his brother was wearing this one so I decided to go for it. Great decision.

It's the perfect weight--not too heavy or light, and the microfleece lining gives it that extra perk of wind and water resistance without being way too heavy or bulky (not to mention its not attracting every tiny organism on the planet, unlike the normal fleeces). The full zip makes it easy to throw on or off (my husband HIGHLY prefers the full zip vs the half) and the zip-enclosed hand pockets are perfect to keep items or hands safe and warm. The chest zip pocket might not ever get used but I'm sure it'll come in handy at some point....

The only semi-con I can think of is that it does seem to run a TAD small--probably because of the microfleece shell. For instance, if you teeter between a Medium and a Large, I'd say go for the Large for a comfier fit/ if you want to layer. If you're a true Medium or on the smaller side, you'll be safe with a Medium. The sleeves and chest are a little tighter than a normal fleece but they do stretch out fairly well after a while. My husband normally wears a Medium and this fits perfectly even though he works out regularly and isn't small by any means.
on March 1, 2015
Great jacket and even better price. I got the black in Large for about $40, after doing a bit of price watching. I agree with the other reviewers who mention it's like a lot of north face brands and a popular European kind of jacket - not too heavy and keeps closer to the body without being Euro-tight. I needed something I could wear as a Health & Safety consultant & professional, to meetings both indoors and outside on construction sights, but I could still wear my long-sleeved collared shirts with. The outside material is great because dog hair (I have a beagle) doesn't cling to it - dog hair will cling to the inside which is a thing, durable fleece-like material. This jacket is great for weather over 45 degrees, unless you're quickly going from your car into a building (I live in New Hampshire). Don't rely on this as your sole winter jacket, but as a layer under another coat or as more of a fall jacket or warm winter day. It's not really water-resistant, but will repel water for a short while. I like the pockets on this jacket and appreciate the chest pocket for my phone or wallet.

This is a jacket you should expect to wear only a t-shirt or long sleeved collared shirt under. No big bulky sweaters. I like to wear thermal sweaters, and they work great with this, but a heavier sweater would feel squished in this. Also don't play on wearing a hoody under this, if you want to do that get a size up.
on November 15, 2014
First time buying clothing for myself on Amazon and I feel like I got lucky. This fits great, 6' 2" and a muscular 200lbs. I prefer for clothes to be slim in appearance but not tight. I went with the large and the sleeves are almost too short but more noticeable to me than anyone else. The jacket has been great as a nice casual or basic business casual jacket. I can't tell if it's designed to be a pocket but their are large "pockets" on the inside opposite the standard outside pockets. They are a great place to store a ton of large or odd shape things that would typically have to vent or crushed a little in regular pockets.
on December 27, 2014
I got this jacket as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend and he loved it. I got the collegiate navy color in size LARGE (he is 5ft 11in and weighs 180 lbs) and the large fit him great! The first thing I would note is the feel of the jacket, it feels soft and comfortable and it is a good wind breaker jacket. I was originally looking into getting a North Face jacket but I would say this is comparable in quality to the Apex Bionic for a better price. We live in Northern Maryland and the winters vary here but it usually does not get extremely cold except for a few weeks here and there every winter. This is a great jacket for mild winter days (40 degrees and up). One review here said that they wore it in Alaska weather and it kept them warm. I would say you can't go wrong with this, either if you're buying it for yourself or for someone else.

One thing I would note is that it did not come with any of the tags. I don't know if this was just my jacket or all of the Columbia one from this Columbia Amazon seller don't have the tags. My boyfriend didn't care but if you're buying it for a relative they may feel more comfortable seeing the tags.
on November 23, 2014
I'm 5'9.5" and 160lbs. I ordered the size medium and it fits perfectly. I usually have to order large since my arms are too long for medium, but the sleeves on the medium on this product are longer than usual so it fits great (34" sleeves as listed). Chest and shoulders fit nicely, tight fit, I can probably fit a sweater underneath though. It also repels water nicely, water just beads up and rolls off.

Update: The jacket only goes slightly past my waist. It fits like the picture. I probably should have gotten large for a looser fit.

Update 12/30/2014: There is a flap under the zipper that starts around chest level that extends all the way to the top and wraps around the top of the zipper. This looks very weird as it extends out and makes the collar look too long. It also makes it hard to zip the thing up as the zipper tends to get caught. I have found however that you can fold the flap back by inverting the loop at the top and on the black color it is hard to spot. However I don't know if this was part of its function. Also, about the sizing. I would say get a medium for a tight sport fit while a large for more layers underneath.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.