Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Columbia Men's Permit II Short
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

on August 26, 2013
Why are most men's shorts so long while women's are barely there at all? I got tired of the currently typical man's shorts that rub the back of the knees (annoying for long walks or any prolonged activity). The Columbia Permit II at mid-thigh are the length shorts used to be, and in a light fabric that adds th the comfort.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2014
First, I'm built more like Fred Flintstone than a basketball player. If you are like me and hate shorts that go below your knees, then you will love these. I'm 5'10" 220 lbs and love the squat rack. I bought the 6" inseam version and absolutely love them. The material is super light, but nice enough looking that I can wear hiking or to a picnic. Plenty of pockets as well. I normally where 34 waist, but purchased 36 and was happy I did. A 38 probably would not have hurt either. The 36 is slim fitting on me, but I don't like baggy, so no complaints. I can not imagine a better hiking short!

I would buy a waist size above your normal(Fit Small) shorts as they do not have a lot of give and will not expand with wear like cotton shorts. If you are 6' plus, then I would go with the 10" inseam or they will look like rugby shots on you. The picture on amazon is the 6" inseam and judging from how these look on me I would estimate the model is around 6'1.

Last, as the material is not heavy duty, you may want to buy an extra pair if you are an outdoors lover. The wear and tear of fishing, hiking, camping... will likely wear them out. These are not heavy duty, but that is not why I bought them. Best short I have worn in years. I am buying a pair in every color!!
on August 7, 2013
Great shorts to wear when the temperature is hot. They dry out fast, very light weight. Nice and SHORT, above the knees. Old guys like short shorts so we can show off our legs and cool off quick. Lots of pockets for all the keys, smartphone and other stuff. Great product Columbia.
on June 18, 2014
Finally a pair of shorts that are not soooooo long! My husband is 5ft. 11in and hates the long style shorts that seem to be the leading fashion style. Thank you Columbia Sportswear for remembering that some of your customers are over 50 years old and don't want to dress like a RAP star :0)
on May 20, 2014
Very nice shorts, good lenght. Im 5'9" and those awful below the knee shorts just make look like a dwarf. These are perfect, light and trim.
on June 9, 2014
I will wear these out on the many hikes I do each week. Very light weight and comfortable, yet they do not collect sweat and weigh me down. I could even use these to go swimming in.
on November 21, 2013
These shorts are comfortable, stylish and quick dry, but I am very disappointed that after only 3 washings the material on the front of the cargo pockets is showing very noticeable signs of wear. Not acceptable in my opinion.
I will give these shorts five stars for fit and styling but three stars for durability and material, averaging to a very respectable four star rating. The fit of these shorts is terrific. Unlike most shorts these days, these shorts break well above the knee, the way shorts in my opinion are supposed to. I have a very average build and the fit of these shorts is superb. The pocket layout is very practical and well thought-out, making these shorts a great choice for light and medium duty recreational guy-stuff.

These shorts would be perfect if they used the same material as the Cliff Lakes or even the Brewha shorts by Columbia, but alas they do not. Instead, this is a very thin synthetic material that is not bad, but not at all comparable to these other Columbia shorts. I question the longevity of these shorts given the thin material and overall construction. They sure fit well though.

These are good shorts for many purposes but for tougher activities you will likely want the Columbia Brewha or Clff Lakes (now sadly discontinued, alas) shorts. RJB.
on January 28, 2016
The material is thin, but hope it is durable. Waist fit is good but a little loose, a narrow belt will take it as wider belt will not fit through the loops. I am 5'9" and six inch inseam seems still a little long while standing up, but sitting on chair will pull it to mid-thigh which is fine for me. 8 inch inseam will drop it down close to your knee while walking. This shorts is not a tight fit on the butt area and the leg opening is huge in size. I can pull them open almost like a skirt. But this is good for rock climbing I guess. I guess it is designed this way because there is no elasticity on the material used, so a big leg opening and loose fit is required for comfort, but it is too baggy for looking sharp. Front side pocket is to shallow so things tend to fall out but the lower front cargo pockets with Velcro lock are great. There is a small pocket at from right, but it is netted and no locking function which is total useless. Anything protruding items like keys will cut right through the net, and I don't want to put credit cards or cash in it as it is easily visible by others. I have not yet put it into hard work so not sure how long it will last. I will probably not buy it again but the overall is consider OK for most people.
on July 11, 2014
Great fit, and look nice. The 10 inch inseam comes to just above my knee and I am 6 ft. tall. They are made from a lightweight material that will dry quickly, and is cut for comfort when hiking or being active outdoors. I have another pair like this one, and I love them. I highly recommend.