Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,210 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,262 reviews
on June 25, 2011
I bought this item for the initial purpose of spending a week in June in the northern wilderness areas of Boundary Waters/Quetico. I've been making an annual trek for over 10 years and have been getting by using inexpensive rain jackets in the $30 range (Stearns, Sierra Designs). They worked OK, but were never great. I like quality gear, though I could never really justify the cost of high end brands such as Gore-Tex. Then I saw this jacket in a local store and, for the price, figured I couldn't go wrong trying it. I knew Amazon's customer service would allow a return if it didn't perform as advertised.

After a straight week of battle testing it, I came away incredibly impressed. The timing couldn't have been better since, for the first time in my own experience, it rained every day of my June trip and never got above 65 degrees. I literally never took this off.

In summary, I was 100%, unequivocally:

**DRY** Despite pervasive rain, it never leaked or did anything but shed water the way it was supposed to. The hood design was excellent keeping rain off my face.
**COMFORTABLE** I sweat a lot while portaging. The lightweight material breathes so well. A mesh lining prevents the clammy feeling that other jackets create.
**WARM** The conditions were very windy and cool. Wearing this jacket, in combination with layers underneath, I couldn't have been happier.
**STYLISH** I don't much care how I look in the wilderness. I'm pleased that this jacket would fit right in with my normal clothing back home.
22 comments| 315 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2015
I was expecting to use the jacket much more than the use I have given to it, becuase in 2014 we didn't had as much rain as expected in Costa Rica.

However, I found out that this isn't something to use every time it rains. It is an outdoor kind of jacket, not for a city usage.

For example, when going to a restaurant or office, they usually have umbrella storage areas or coat hanging areas, but no place for this kind of rain jackets.

Also, if you go to the car in a parking lot, just taking this jacket off is a mess before entering the car.

So, I think this kind of jackets only works when your house is facing to the street (Because in an apartment or house building you will be dripping water all over the place) and when going to somewhere like a park or when hiking.
on April 3, 2014
I am a classic medium build, which always seems to mean I have to order Large to get something to fit me. Generally if I order Medium, it is too tight in the chest. And when I order Large the sleeves are too long. Thanks to Amazon Prime's great return policy, I decided to go with Medium and return it if I needed Large.
It fit like a charm.
I do have one question/quibble: the hood, when it's not being used, just hangs there. There is a little strip of velcro on the back of the jacket; and I have a feeling it is meant to hold the hood out of the way. For the life of me, I cannot figure it out. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a solution, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
All in all: perfect. I am leaving the East Coast in two weeks to live in Berkeley/San Francisco/East Bay, California; and I have a feel this jacket will go everywhere with me due to the changeable nature of the weather in northern California.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 22, 2013
I prefer rain jackets to umbrellas and I've owned several over the years. Previous jackets had problems - they were not very breathable of ventilated and they tended to feel clammy with short sleeve shirts. This jacket suffers from none of this. It's comfortable to wear for extended periods, feels good inside and out, and manages to be breathable and waterproof. An extra benefit is that it can be stuffed into the breast pocket and clipped to a messenger bag or backpack for carrying when rain is forecasted later in the day or in the afternoon after a morning rain. The only thing I wish it had is a double zipper (one that can unzip from the bottom for sitting). But since it has snaps as well as a zipper, you can always use them instead of the zipper.
on July 28, 2014
I took this on a camping trip to the Boundary Waters. We only had light showers, but it held up nicely and packed well. One of my fellow campers has had this exact same rain jacket for a while, and he vouched for its ability to keep out rain.

It doesn't provide much in the way of warmth, but that's preferable. I'd rather layer on clothes under this, as opposed to have a hot rain jacket on a hot day. I was able to use this as a windbreaker as well.

Overall, it feels fairly durable and meets my needs. I don't see the point of buying a more expensive rain jacket after taking this one out.
on January 31, 2014
I purchased this jacket for an upcoming trip to a wetter climate. I usually wear a size XL, but read other reviews and ordered a Large for this jacket. I am glad that I did, since it fit like an average XL, while still giving me just enough room for a heavy layer (fleece or sweatshirt) underneath for cooler weather. I have not figured out how it packs into the hidden pocket, however. Unfortunately, there are no instructions on folding it to fit the pocket, so I have not even tried (I did find the hidden pocket, though). It seems like a lot of money for a lightweight rain jacket, but if it is truly waterproof, as advertised, it will be money well spent.
on July 29, 2014
Good thing I read the reviews on the fit of this jacket many had stated the jacket was too large in their normal size. The reveiws were very helpful and I took a chance to order the right size for me. I ordered a small size and normally I fit a medium in jackets, clothing etc., The S size rain jacket was a perfect fit, wasn't snug or overly big fitting and the sleeve length was perfect and can even wear a light clothing etc., under the jacket. Jacket Is great for warm or humid rainy weather, very light weight and esp packable for pocket. And for the price point great!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 6, 2014
I ordered a black and charcoal Columbia Watertight Rain Jacket in size small. I'm 5'8' and 140LB with slim athletic build and the small size fit me like a wedding tent. I estimate the true size falls somewhere between a medium and large. The Amazon product image looks more fitted, as if the back of the jacket were pinned to appear tighter. Heck, there's enough room in this jacket for a sweater, hoodie, toy poodle, two cats and a 6-pack of beer! So, yeah, I agree with other reviewers, order one size smaller than normal. That means I need an extra small and Columbia doesn't seem make that size.

Although lightweight, the tough exterior fabric is doubled for increased body and weatherproofing, the torso has a mesh lining and openings can be secured with drawstrings or velcro. The full coverage neck and drawstring hoodie can be adjusted so only eyes to chin are exposed. It's also a practical design with zippered external pockets and an interior vest pocket to stash valuables. It's well made, folds small for packing and hardly weighs anything. The simple uncluttered design and neutral hue go well with jeans and graphic t-shirts. If you want an understated rainproof jacket with room for layering and to pack into the smallest bags, the Watertight Rain Jacket may be for you. I reluctantly returned mine--really liked it--but need a size significantly smaller than Columbia's size small spec.
on January 22, 2014
In terms of material, build quality, and waterproofing this jacket is top notch. However it runs a little big which is annoying if you're only wearing a t-shirt underneath. Apart from that I'm happy with it.

Pros:
- The waterproofing works well
- It's comfy for wearing for long periods of time
- The hood has a little brim that sticks out just a touch to keep rain off your face.

Cons:
- It runs a little large. I got a small and even that is loose on me. Normally I either wear small or medium depending on the jacket.

Other thoughts:
- This jacket is warmer than it looks (in rainy weather. I have a different jacket for snow/winter). Often times I'll wear just a t-shirt underneath and I'll be fine.
- It can be folded surprisingly small. Makes it easier to toss in a backpack.
on February 26, 2014
My North Face raincoat had lining peeling off the neck, and people kept asking me when I was going to get it fixed, as if it pained them. But they take two weeks to fix them, and I can't do without a raincoat for two weeks! So finally I felt rich enough to buy another, and I was delighted to find this one at half the price of the North Face. But whoa, was I delighted when this one came in the mail! It's heavier than the North Face, because the lining is solid rather than netting, so it's warmer without being heavier. The real kicker is the inside pocket. The North Face inside pocket, the kind where you'd put a wallet or passport or calendar if you're used to wearing a sport coat or suit jacket, HAS NO BOTTOM!! Thank goodness my checkbook fell out in my car, but not till after I already had to cancel the account. And thank goodness it wasn't my passport!!! I had to tape the bottom shut with duck tape. The Columbia coat has real pockets out of real fabric, and they HAVE BOTTOMS!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.