Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 630 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 660 reviews
on March 8, 2012
As a college student, I wanted a reliable, lightweight jacket to use when it's raining, when it's windy, and when temperatures are mild. This jacket is perfect for all three. It is completely resistant to rain. My one complaint would be that the hood does not stay on as well as I would like. This problem is easily remedied by bringing along an umbrella as extra protection. I also like using this jacket as an outer layer to my other fleece jackets. It does a great job of keeping in the warmth and blocking out wind. Wearing this jacket over a fleece or other jacket functions well as a winter combination and keeps me very warm in cold/snowy/icy conditions. Finally, I also wear this jacket when I need something light to wear when temperatures are mild (not warm enough to go without a jacket but not cold enough to wear a fleece or something else that's too warm), at night, and going to and from the gym. Sometimes, however, wearing this jacket can get a little too warm. I sometimes find myself starting to sweat, so I guess it's not too breathable. Then again, I have not tried unzipping the underarm/side ventilation slits, which I am sure would remedy this problem! Anyway, this jacket is multifunctional, looks GREAT, works phenomenally, and is a fantastic price! I absolutely love it and would recommend it. The sizing is also good. I am 5'6" and 130 pounds and the medium I bought is perfect, even when layering in the winter.
11 comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2012
Could this rain jacket get any more perfect? I cycle as my primary mode of transportation and needed a rain jacket that could get me through (also bought the Columbia rainy rescue pants to go on over normal pants in heavy rain). This rain jacket fit the bill.

The best part is that without being too busy, this jacket has a lot of nice little features. I love that if you zip it all the way up, it covers the bottom half of your face. I love the visor on the hood to keep the rain out of my eyes. I love all the zippered pockets ESPECIALLY the one on the inside of the jacket. That is awesome. I love that the sleeves velcro shut (easy on/off) (but still have elastic to keep them comfortable!) whereas the bottom of the jacket and the hood have elastic pulls which stay secure with less hassle. This jacket keeps you DRY -- I rode my bike around my city in a downpour and this was perfect. It doesn't keep you too warm, but that's not what it's for -- it's for keeping you dry and keeping the wind from blowing right through you. Of course, if you bundle up with sweaters, and keep the wind out with this jacket, you'll stay pretty warm.

The only thing I would say is that I disagree with reviewers who said this ran small. For comparison - I am size 6 to 8, 5'6", medium build, and busty (32DD). In shirts I wear mediums (most stores) and sometimes larges (at Target, Urban Outfitters, H&M). I don't like things to fit too tight. Anyway, when people were saying this ran small, I bought a large. When it came, I was swimming in that thing -- it was huge on me! I mean, the sleeves were covering my hands. I could have been 9 months pregnant and no one would have known. I returned it and ordered the medium, and it was perfect -- enough room to bundle up with sweaters underneath if I want to, with breathing room for summer rains.

I think it may be that the jacket is just really accommodating to larger busts (it seems to have a lot of extra room there, but less extra in the shoulders). So, others who wear medium-sized tops who are wider in the ribcage than me might find the medium too small. For busty gals like me, though, I'd say order your normal size.
on July 10, 2013
I recently bought this jacket to use on a trip to Scandinavia, and it was one of my most-used items of clothing during the whole 3 weeks. It did a great job keeping out the rain - I really liked that it not only has a flap over the zipper, but also Velcro to keep it down. It also has Velcro around the wrists so it's adjustable.

The only thing I didn't like about the aesthetics of the jacket was that the hood could not be folded into the collar, but really that was pretty minor. The hood didn't get in the way. It was also slightly frustrating that in order for the hood to stay up, I had to have the jacket zipped all the way up to the top of the collar. But again, not that big of a deal, I think it would have been like that on any windbreaker.

This jacket did very well keeping out the wind and the rain - on a few cold boat rides, I was extremely glad to be wearing this coat. I definitely needed layers on chilly days, but this jacket helped quite a bit. On the flip side, this jacket really does not breathe. If it was warmer than about 65 F, I started to get hot. The armpit vents were nice, but didn't help much with cooling off.

Overall, I would recommend this jacket for sure, as long as you don't plan to wear it in warmer weather.
on November 8, 2015
I liked this rain jacket for the first six months or so after purchasing it. I bought it in the light sand color, as I prefer a lighter color due to heightened visibility, and the color, look, and fit were (still are) great. The jacket also kept me reasonably dry throughout our tropical Florida downpours at first, though I will say that ventilation is basically not existent, and wearing a non-breathable rain jacket in tropical climate makes you sweat profusely. So you tend to be getting wet either way, albeit not to the same extent.

After about six months or so, the protective coating of the seams had worm off, and the jacket has been useless in heavy rains ever since. It is still an okay-ish back-up during lighter rains, put for massive downpours, I had to upgrade to a Helly Hanson rain jacket at several times the price of this one.

The bottom line is, you get what you pay for. If you live in an area with occasional or lighter rains, or if you're looking for a rain jacket to only last you one long hiking trip, this might just be perfect for you. But if you live in an area with regular heavy downpours and are looking for a rain jacket you can reliably trust for years to come, this is certainly not IT. I have learned my lesson the wet way.
on April 19, 2013
I had some reservations about size because so man people commented that this jacket runs extremely small, and since for me this is a lot of money to spend on a piece of clothing, I was worried about ordering without seeing it/trying it on. I am very glad I went with this jacket. For the price, it was well worth it. I am 5'4" and 115 lbs, and the small fits perfectly with some extra length in the sleeves (but not too much) and room to wear a sweater underneath if I need to. It is also fitted enough that it preserves a little bit of waist and looks nice. Not Boxy or baggy at all. I like the adjustable wrist cuffs, and the hood, which I thought would be silly looking with the visor, looks fine when up and stays up. I will be using this jacket a lot when visiting Africa during the rainy season, and will update when I know how well it holds up on the trip.
EDIT 6 month later:
have had this Jacket a while now and it has held up great. I wore it to two days of all-day music festival during which it poured rain the whole time. While it did eventually reach it's saturation point, it kept me dry until late in the day. If it's colder outside you will need another layer, but with a fleece underneath this is warm enough for me even down to 40 degree rainy days. The zipper can be finicky and might unzip from the bottom once in a while but so far I've managed to undo it and am just careful to align it correctly before I zip.
Overall great jacket. It is extremely versatile as well as just being a good raincoat.
on April 7, 2013
I ordered this jacket (XS, Black - I am 5'4", 115lbs, 32A) for an upcoming trip to Paris and the west coast of Ireland, where I expect it to be pretty chilly and very wet. Conveniently, I have had the chance to wear it a lot already, since the weather in San Francisco has been pretty rainy this week. It has surprised me that this is actually a fairly warm jacket in addition to being weatherproof. And unlike most windbreakers/rain jackets, it doesn't make a terrible sound when your arms brush against your side.

Best features: adjustable wrists with velcro and elastic; zip-able pocket on inside left breast for money/phone/passport; pull string along bottom to adjust to waist.

Cons: can't wear the hood unless the jacket is fully zipped (it just falls off the back of your head every 10 seconds or so); the XS is maybe not quite small enough for me, even with a shirt, sweater, and fleece underneath.

Overall, very happy with this, and I will review again when I'm back from rainy Ireland!
on August 20, 2012
We head out to the Black Hills next week and I plan on trekking Harney Peak, which has its own atmosphere. Rain is a given, and I do not own a rain coat, so the search led me here. Some features I wanted in a jacket include an interior pocket, zippered pockets, an inner lining, and a hood. This jacket met all of those requirements so I ordered it.

However, I was terrified that it wouldn't fit after reading all of these reviews. I ordered an XL because that is what I typically order in outerwear; I'm a size 14 5'8 woman.

The jacket arrived within days and in plenty of time for my vacation next week. I pulled it out of the package and put it on immediately. It fit and it looks great. I added my Old Navy fleece active wear jacket from last season underneath for a layer (over a Tshirt and tank top) and it fit just fine; no pulling in the arms and it zipped up with ease. The zippers and velcro closures work fine and the arm bands have room to be tightened if I want to make them more fitted. Some reviewers said that the material is gross, but I disagree. It feels like thick vinyl and not cheap plastic, which is reassuring in that I won't get wet in a rain shower and it will hold up for years.

I can totally see myself using this for bike riding and to work as a librarian. Fitted and functional; great buy and I'd certainly recommend.
on December 25, 2013
I was looking for just a rain jacket to throw on to take the kids to school or a quick trip to the store and this fits the bill. It is extremely light weight so it can be worn in all seasons and keeps the rain out completely. As far as fit, I am 5'4 and wear a size large in most shirts due to being a bit busty. I listened to some other readers on the tight fit and opted for an XL, it can be zipped up very easily, not snug at all and I can even wear a sweater under it with room. However, the arms a bit long. I run into this problem a lot so I am used to it but would prefer a shorter arm. It is not a big enough problem for me to return it though, just wanted to mention it for those it may be a problem for. As for the color, I am a bit confused on that one. I ordered the sea salt/fawn that looks just a tad off white and then a darker off white in the panels under the arm in the picture. The jacket I received is bright white everywhere with no different shade in the panels under the arm. Looking at the available color options, this doesn't even seem to be an option. There is a white one with gray panels under the arms but none that are pure white everywhere and that is what I received. Again, I am going to keep the jacket, but was a bit disappointed as I think the slight off white was cool. I searched the model number on-line and even referencing the number on the UPC it comes up Sea Salt/Fawn everywhere so I do not believe the merchandiser sent me the wrong color. It seems Columbia may have switched the colors but did not update the photos. It would be wise of them to do that so people are receiving what they are expecting. It is a great jacket, just wanted to share my observations.
on April 8, 2014
I bought this to replace my North Face Venture jacket that I "outgrew" over the winter. I didn't want to spend a lot of money and this was a great buy, definitely worth the price. This jacket is almost an exact match to the North Face, the only difference is that the North Face is a bit more tailored in the waist. I have only had this jacket for a week, but thus far I am very happy. I cycle to work and this jacket moves well with the body and even held up through a windy storm - the hood stayed up the entire time (I read another review that said it doesn't) and my body stayed completely dry. The jacket is perfect for spring/fall cycling but I'm not sure I would wear it in the summer (or winter without layering). Also, contrary to some reviews, the jacket fit true to size...I am 5ft 8in and wear a size 12/14 - a large fit perfectly (I do like my clothing fitted though). Overall this was a great value, I believe I will have this item for years and use it almost every day that such a jacket is required. I am not someone who typically writes reviews, but this jacket was so impressive that it is worth spreading the word!
on June 22, 2014
I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest and I was looking for a jacket for hiking, camping, and all around PNW lifestyle stuff.

This jacket is great. Good weight for the things I like to do; so far has demonstrated itself to be waterproof. It has nice lining so it's not sticking to your skin like some other rain jackets I tried before finding this one. As others mentioned, it's perfect for wearing layers and a fleece underneath works wonderfully.

I really like the inner pocket, the bit of fleece lining on the zipper cover as it nears your chin (to keep it from rubbing under your chin raw), the adjustable wrist closures and the zippered outer pockets.

My only complaints are that the hood is too shallow to stay on your head well if you have your hair in a ponytail or similar, and the hip portion is snug for me while the rest fits perfect. This would be an A+ if the hood was bigger and the hips had a smidge more room.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question