Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 496 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 521 reviews
on September 25, 2015
I just got back from 3 weeks in the Alaska Mountain range. I bought this jacket for weather in the 30's to 50's - but instead, it snowed quite a bit and the temperatures got as low as 10 degrees. This jacket was outstanding. I never got cold. And I never got wet. Water just beaded off. I just wore my thermals, jeans, shirt, boots, and this jacket on the coldest days. I was warm. You might need a warmer jacket if you're going to be in temps lower than my 10 degrees, but I absolutely love this jacket for my lifestyles. Going to order more.
review image
VINE VOICEon October 24, 2014
I purchased this jacket in the color Quill and in the size 1X in September, in preparation for colder weather. We have had such an unseasonably warm fall that I wasn't truly able to gauge its warmth until this week, when temps finally dipped down into the 40s.

Color. Purple is my favorite color, and the color Quill is absolutely gorgeous. It is not a gaudy purple but a gorgeous plum.

Sizing: I am a pear-shaped, plus-size woman, which means that I carry most of my weight in my belly, hips and thighs. I am also a very short woman at 4'5". Being short and heavy, it is really difficult for me to find things that fit me BELOW the waist without being too big ABOVE the waist. This jacket ALMOST fits the bill. It fits wonderfully above the waist. It is not overlarge in the shoulders (which is a common issue for me) and fits nicely though the shoulders and chest (unlike many plus-size women, I am not very busty). However, it is VERY tight across my belly and bum. As a result, my bum doesn't get as much coverage as it would if the jacket were just a bit larger around the bottom edge. This jacket isn't INTENDED to cover the bum (as you can see from the picture on the product page), but on someone as short as I am, it would cover my bum if it could fall freely over my hips and belly. For comparison purposes, I generally wear clothes that are XL, 1X or an 18-20, depending on the garment. Also, I own an older Columbia Sportswear quilted jacket that is also a 1X and fits fine and covers my bum.

Warmth: When this jacket arrived, I could NOT believe that a quilted jacket could fit in that small of a package. When I removed it, I thought "Surely this thing can't be warm!" I had read on the product page about the new technology used in this jacket which is intended to reflect body heat, but it just seemed impossible. I have only this week been able to put it to the test while walking my dog on chilly, damp mornings. I think it is PERFECT for a transitional season jacket; i.e., going from winter into spring and fall into winter. I am not yet convinced that it will be warm enough (for me) when we get to the depth of winter. To go from the house to the car, sure (especially for those who hate wearing a heavy coat in the car). For jogging or power walking when you are generating your own heat, probably. But for sustained slow walking like in walking a dog, this remains to be seen, and I will post an update here when we get to that point of the winter. :)

Fabrics: The exterior fabric feels amazing. I have had other quilted winter jackets and this jacket does not feel like those. I just wanted to hug it when I took it out of the package! LOL It is buttery soft. The inside lining is silver/black metallic and shiny. This is the reflective technology part that I talked about earlier. The nice deep collar is faux-fur-lined and felt soft and warm against my face and ears this week while walking the dog in strong Nor'Easter-driven winds.

Construction: The jacket has a zip front and 2 external zip pockets, all with sturdy zipper pulls. It also features 1 smaller zipped pocket on the inside left side of the jacket. I almost sent back the jacket immediately upon receiving it because of some weirdness along the lower edge of the jacket. I have been sewing most of my life, so I tend to notice those things that non-sewers may not. At first, the bottom hem seemed defective, but after further inspection, it seems it was purposeful. I think it is to make the front of the jacket longer than the back, but I could be mistaken. It is NOT a straight around hem as nearly any other garment you'd buy would have. The back is straight and then as it transitions into the front panels, there are some weird folds. Because these folds are very consistent between the left and right front panels, I assumed that it must have been purposeful. It bothered me a LOT at first, but now it isn't bothering me as much.

4 1/4 stars - took off 1/2 star for the ill fit in the lower part of the jacket and 1/4 star for the weird folds/hem at the bottom of the jacket.

UPDATED 11/21/14: I have upgraded this review from 4 stars to 5. Because VERY cold and windy weather was coming, and because the purple 1X coat was so tight around my hips that I feared that it would not zip over the heavier, layered clothes that I have to wear to walk the dog in that weather, I decided to buy another of these jackets. Rather than return the 1X and buy a 2X as a replacement for it, I decided to save the 1X for the shoulder seasons (transitioning from fall to winter and winter to spring) and buy a second coat in the next size up for the winter.

I bought the second jacket in black and in size 2X. I could not BELIEVE the difference between a 1X and a 2X--a huge difference! Not only does the 2X easily zip up over even multiple layers of heavy clothing, it doesn't tug around my hips AT ALL, but falls freely straight from my waist and now covers my bum! I actually went back and checked the labels on both coats to be sure that they were the sizes I thought they were, as I rarely see that dramatic of a difference when going one size up on any article of clothing.

But the biggest reason I decided to upgrade my rating is that I have worn "this" jacket (either the purple one or the black one) nearly every day there has been any chilly weather since I first bought the purple one, which was I believe in September. These jackets are SOOOO light for a winter coat, but still warm! We are having insanely cold weather this week for my area. Temps have been in the 20s in the morning with 25 MPH wind gusts, so the wind chill has been in the teens--not happy dog-walking weather! I had myself convinced that this jacket was not going to stand up to that kind of weather (both cold-wise and wind-wise) because it felt so lightweight, but it has! I'm not going to say you can wear a T-shirt under it with wind chills in the teens and be comfortable, but if you wear a long-sleeved shirt or sweatshirt under it, you should be fine.

I get compliments on this jacket all the time, especially the purple one. I fall more in love with these jackets every day. You just can't beat how incredibly soft and light they are!
on October 21, 2016
I bought this jacket last year and it has become my favorite go-to jacket for late Fall, most of Winter, and Spring. I live in Michigan and it gets pretty cold here, and unless I'm going to be outside all day in the dead of February this coat is more than enough for my day-to-day activities.
This coat is great for:
- Active wear in cold weather: great for hiking or any activity where you are going to heat up; it's not too hot and it moves really well
- In and out of buildings: this is the perfect jacket for running errands or any day when I'm in and out of buildings a lot, it's not huge and heavy so it can be carried easily, but it's warm enough that even in a Michigan February I'm not frozen after being outside for a few minutes.
- All day wear in +25 degrees: as long as it's not really really cold, I find this is more than enough of a coat. It's so light, I don't feel like I have heavy winter gear on (one of my pet-peeves about winter is being weighed down by coats). With warmer pants, it would probably be enough for even colder days, but since it's short, when it's in the teens out I will get pretty cold if I'm just wearing this and jeans.
- As a liner to a ski shell: it's so thin and light that it's great under another waterproof shell for snow sports (see below on wet weather).

This coat is NOT good for:
- Wet weather. This coat is in no way, shape or form waterproof. I made the mistake of wearing this coat after a large snowfall while it was still snowing to build snowmen with my daughter (it was large sticky snow), and I was DRENCHED after an hour. I would not wear this in the rain or for long periods when it's snowing.
- Below 10 or 20 degrees: it's warm, but it's not that warm. Again with a ski shell and proper leg wear, maybe it would be okay, but at that point I've moved into my giant down parka.

I wear a 22/24 and the 3x fits me perfectly. It's really one of the best coats I've ever owned.
on January 10, 2015
I'm a recent New Jersey/New York transplant to southern California and needed light "winter" jacket for hiking and daily use during the cooler season. Many reviews said how versatile this jacket was, supposedly light enough for mild weather, but warm enough for even windy, deep chill, midwest winters. I thought that would be great for when I go back east in February. While I love this jacket - it's lightweight, soft, comfortable, and perfect for southern California winter - I am not yet sold on how warm it will keep me once I'm back in east coast winter.

Over the Christmas holiday, I wore it over a fleece hoodie during a very windy, cold day hike in the desert (30-40 degrees F) and I was still pretty chilly. While camping at night, it was well below 20 degrees; I was in this jacket, over the fleece hoodie, under a quilt, in a sleeping bag, in a car, and I was still FREEZING.

The strength of this jacket probably lies in keeping in heat that you build from movement. I do love this jacket for what it is and gave it four stars; I just don't know if it really does shield you from wind and cold as well as the other reviews have said. Will have to report back once I return from my east coast trip.

Basic specs:
- I am 5' 1", 135 lbs., usually wear small; originally ordered a medium because of other reviews, but it was way too big. Small fits well even with layers, though it's tight around my curvy hips.
- It doesn't fit as long on me as it appears in the model photo, but I have a long torso.
- Sleeve length fits well on me; did not experience length issues as other reviews have noted.
- I love the thumb holes and inside left chest pocket.
- Trade Winds Grey is a light grey with a light blue tint. The material is ripstop nylon with a sheen to it, but it is (thankfully) not super shiny like aluminum foil, haha.
- Inside collar lining is like faux fur and super soft, though I personally would have preferred performance fleece/better sweat-wicking material.
- Has a form-flattering silhouette without the bulk.
- Amazon handled my exchange smoothly - thanks!
on June 13, 2017
I absolutely love this jacket--the color, the fleece neck warmer, and the hand warmers are all fantastic. (However as a person with long arms, I try to be mindful when wearing the hand warmers so I don't rip them out of the sleeve...I did that with my last Columbia.) The only reason I am giving this a 3 instead of a 5 is because the jacket does not interchange with Columbia shells. I purchased this specifically to go under a outer shell (see previous aside about ripping out the hand warmers). The jacket does have attachments to snap it into a shell but the metal zipper does not zip into the plastic zipper in the shell of any of my Columbia coats (I have 3 of them) so it is not a true interchange jacket. The metal zipper is obviously better quality than the plastic used for outer shells but zipping up 2 coats to stay warm is a bit ridiculous and inconvenient.
on January 10, 2014
I love this coat!!! You would be a fool NOT to buy this coat...it has 'Omni-Heat' and I Guarantee this coat WILL keep you warm!
I wore it in -6 degrees and I was as toasty as a slice of bread in a toaster!!!
This coat is AMAZING!!!
And the built in gloves are incredible!!!
on January 21, 2016
Many of the reviews say this coat runs slightly small, so I ordered a medium instead of a small, like I would normally wear in most tops/coats. The coat does not run small at all. The medium fits exactly how I would expect a medium to fit, and I actually wish I had gotten the small. I prefer for winter coats to be somewhat fitted, so that they actually press against me and keep me warm; I hate when there is a gap that allows cold air to pass through the neckline/waist area. I will keep the medium because I intend to wear sweatshirts under it and I'm a little too impatient to go through the return and reorder process, though I fully believe I could comfortably wear a sweatshirt under a size small.

In terms of warmth, the coat is great. I wore it for the first time in bitter cold, 11 degree weather - with a short sleeve shirt underneath - and it worked perfectly!
on March 21, 2017
I tried on this jacket in a store and fell in love, but the color was wrong. So, when I got home, I found the grey color here. And it's perfect. The fit is a little small, but I expected that because I'd already tried it on. My favorite part might be the thumb holes at the end of the sleeves. The jacket is very warm, and doesn't have a hood, which was my preference because I hate my long hair hanging over a hood on my back. I absolutely love this jacket. Thinking about getting it in another color.
on December 31, 2015
Ok. I just received this coat. White one. I opened it and at first was disappointed because I thought how is this light weight coat gonna be warm. Well I got out of the car (temp outside was 24°) And I was outside for approximately 15 mins. I can tell you I DID NOT GET COLD. Very impressed, so I started looking at the inside it has a reflective type of material not to mention SO SOFT and the material keeps your body heat in. I love the thumb holes in the sleeve and I love the look. I am usually an XL but I ordered a 1X. It fits well. I am 5'7 with on the smaller size chest and all in all it fits great, not too tight and the arm length is perfect. I don't light the sleeves too short or a jacket too tight where I feel like I can't breathe and THIS FITS PERFECTLY. So my advice is whatever normal size you wear, go up an extra size unless you like tight fitting to the skin. I came inside with the jacket had it on inside for maybe 5 mins, checking out how I looked in the coat, and it was HOT!! This is by far the best jacket I have ever bought. I am in love. And I just got it an hour ago but I can tell you ITS A VERY NICE LIGHTWEIGHT COAT that can endure some cold, yet I will stay warm.
on November 15, 2015
Originally got the small for my daughter (5'3" 118lbs) but it was pretty loose so we exchanged for XS which fits her much better and she can still fit base layer and mid layer underneath. We got this for skiing and were a little worried it wouldn't be warm enough because it is so thin, but she has been warm and happy so far! She loves the hand cuffs

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.