Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 86 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 121 reviews
on February 24, 2015
Shirley Booth and Burt Lancaster are excellent in this film. It's the story of an alcoholic and his "dependent personality disordered" spouse. She lives in the past and exemplifies this by mourning the loss of her dog, "Little Sheba". He works hard at staying sober through AA. When a young woman takes up residence as a boarder in their home, their frail structure of self-control collapses and they revert back to the vicious cycle of drinking and spousal abuse. There is a powerful moral to this story...we all have a "Little Sheba" in our past. It's something that we lost or an action we deeply regret, and years later, are still trying to fix or amend. In the end, the wife sadly realizes that Little Sheba isn't coming back. They both realize it's time to move forward. It's a touching film with fine actors and part of my permanent collection.
on February 20, 2014
This is one of my favorite movies....its touching, sad and incredibly well-acted.
Shirley Booth is just fabulous and heart-breaking in this movie.
I watch it whenever its on TCM, but at this great price, I knew I had to add it to my classic movie collection.
For those who appreciate a quality film, this is the perfect pick for you.
on December 4, 2013
Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth are fantastic in this movie. Their talent shows in the raw emotion of the characters they portray. Shirley's character "Lola" is married to Burt's character "Doc." Lola and Doc have no children and a loveless marriage for the most part. Lola has a dog named "Sheba" who is not shown because he ran away. Hence, the title, COME BACK LITTLE SHEBA. Doc is an alcoholic who has bouts of rage. Lola is a house wife who is always fearful Doc will start drinking. Doc and Lola rent a room to an attractive young woman and a personal crisis ensues. Great performances by truly timeless actors!!!
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2016
I loved this movie when I first saw it as a kid, and it holds up extremely well today. Booth won the Academy Award for Best Actress for this performance, and she deserved it! She proves she was capable of portraying so much more than the lovable housekeeper/maid she played for many seasons in the TV series Hazel. Lancaster is rather stiff for most of this film, but that's exactly what was called for, leading up to the explosive climax. A classic with a strong message of understanding that reflects the suffering of alcoholics and those who love them.
on June 9, 2009
This is what Doc and Lola each need massive hits of, but are unable to give effectively to each other. There is no doubt they love each other deeply, but each yearns for the kind of love the other can't give them. Shirley Booth got her best actress Oscar for this role and my favorite scene is when she is reclined on the sofa jiving to "Fifteen Minutes of Taboo," on the radio. Lola loves music, rhythm and dancing. Let us not downplay Burt's acting however. He is dead-on as the quiet, refined, gentleman that turns into a raving maniac when on a bender. When Doc and Lola are patching up the shambles of his latest episode, there seems to be an epithany for Lola when she realizes her little dog Sheba is never coming back. It seems that she may be able to let go of the past into which she escapes daily from her real life. As a recovering alcoholic myself (See my review of Lost Weekend)I appreciate the parts of the movie that deal with AA and the spirit of recovery. We hope that Doc and Lola can go forward and have a meaningful relationship, after being forced to their knees in self-examination by the presence of a young female border who is in and out in a flash. This is such a great movie.
on August 10, 2013
My mom really wanted me to watch this and Im not a fan of black and white movies. i have to say i was pleasantly surprised. It was a really great movie.
on March 4, 2014
I saw this movie when I was a little girl with my Mom & never forgot it. I recently saw it on TCM & just had to get the DVD of it to add to my classic movie collection.
on February 6, 2014
Shirley Booth's performance in this movie will remain imprinted on my mind as long as I draw breath. It is comparable to the emotionally stoic yet moving performances by Maria Schell in The Hanging Tree and Luise Ranier in The Good Earth. Also, Eileen Heckhart's stand-alone performance as the grieving mother in The Bad Seed compares in luminescence to Shirley Booth's (except for the adroit comic relief she infuses into her own tragedy in The Bad Seed). Burt Lancaster created excellent tension in his role as Lola's husband. He is one of my favorite actors and this is my favorite of all his roles.
on March 30, 2015
This movie and story may be dated, especially considering the subject matter, but this is still a classic drama with superb performances by Shirley Booth, a very talented actress with a strong dramatic flair (much different than we knew when she was playing Hazel, the maid in a TV sitcom). She received the Academy Award for this role. Burt Lancaster was OK but he has never been one of my favorites.
on May 19, 2014
First saw this movie when I was in grade school. It made a lifelong lasting impression upon me regarding alcoholism and the sadness of lost youth. What Shirley Booth brings to Lola is indescribably profound and deep. Burt Lancaster playing against his traditional masculine alpha male type was a masterstroke in what must seemed to be risky casting. Do yourself a favor and SEE IT NOW!