Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $4.99 shipping
The Comedy Bible: From Stand-up to Sitcom--The Comedy Writer's Ultimate "How To" Guide Paperback – Illustrated, September 5, 2001
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
About the Author
- Item Weight : 1.33 pounds
- Paperback : 368 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0743201256
- ISBN-13 : 978-0743201254
- Dimensions : 6.13 x 1 x 9.25 inches
- Publisher : Atria Books; Original ed. edition (September 5, 2001)
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #98,793 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I believe funny is a combination of natural talent and experience.
However, I do believe that people who have studied an art form and people who have lived that art form can teach those new to the craft some important lessons. I've found the lessons in this book to be worth the investment. I'll grant I'm not a huge fan of the format (workbook) - and being a little skeptical of the exercises - I initially ignored them.
That changed upon reading a scathing review of a comic's show at a unrelated website. The review covered some of the comic's fundamental mistakes and these happened to be the very mistakes Judy's lessons were trying to teach me how to avoid. I went back and started doing some of the exercises (premise writing) that I was initially convinced were a waste of time and I began to see why they were valuable.
Now I find myself re-reading portions of the premise writing lessons.
Very nice introductory text.
Unbeknownst to the audience, they are “trained” to laugh. This book teaches you How to write a laughable joke. Style and brand come after.
Top reviews from other countries
So much to absorbe and learn, slowly, one workshop at a time if one wants to learn it all. Or, rush to read it first, then come back and do the exercises one by one.
On her website, she even has a DVD / CD combination accompaniment.
Recommendation: BUY IT NOW.
Sono appassionata di stand-up comedy.
Libro arrivato nei tempi previsti, in condizioni perfette.
I'm an italian improv and stand up comedian with good stage experience.
Now my pros and cons:
- good method
- well explained
- enriched by many quotes from various comedy gods
- it could seems too mechanical
- the author claims her method as the ONLY WAY to write and perform comedy. I don't agree ;-)
- works way better in combination with the Judy Carter's DVD "Comedy in a Box"
- read other books too (for ie. The Comic Toolbox) but don't wait to "know everything"
- watch any comedy show that cross your path
- leave your comfort zone, experiment, write.. perform!