Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 50 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 52 reviews
on May 27, 2012
First off, this shredder is amazingly quiet. I have owned a few other brands of shredders over the past few years, and they were all loud. Another thing that I like about this shredder is that it is not messy. The head lift-up design on this shredder prevents shreds from falling all over the place. The shredders with pull-out design are usually the ones that make a mess.

One issue I encountered was that when I received this shredder, the plastic front window snap-in piece had one of the clips broken. Nevertheless, it still snapped in place fine. The manufacturer needs to be more careful with their quality control.
on July 11, 2012
I just received my shredder 6 days earlier than was expected and was excited. I started using it right away destroying those annoying credit card offers unopened. It chewed through it like nothing and to top it off it is a much quiet shredder then most I have purchased. I ran it for about 10 minutes straight with bundles as big as 12 papers and not once did the overheat light go on. Also I shredded a few old credit cards and useless cds with no problem. I was a little skeptical at first at buying this unit due to the lack of reviews but wow I'm happy I did. Don't hesitate, give it a try =)

**The comment below brought to my attention that in the description there was no mentioning of a overheat light...so I posted some pictures up top along with the others so that you can verify it yourself if needed.
review image review image
on October 30, 2012
I admit I'm pretty hard on paper shredders - I've burned up two already, jammed a motor with a staple in another, and needed a new one. This one was a great price. Because of my prior experiences with shredders, I was pleased this one came with a larger bin and a handy overheating warning light. It has happily munched loads of junk mail (no need to remove staples!) and credit cards and never checked up. Surprisingly, I have yet to overheat it either. A great find! I've been so pleased with it that I recommended it to my dad, and he enjoys his too. He especially appreciates that it is super quiet. I find it much quieter than any previous shredder I've ever used.
on January 11, 2013
As far as shredders go, this one is reasonably quiet. You won't find a shredder that is silent. If you think about what it is doing, you will understand that. It does shred papers easily, but I get the feeling it is not for extended periods of CD shredding. It is very loud when shredding a DVD, and as one reviewer mentioned, it does tend to jam easily while doing this. I had some extra DVD slide shows to shred which contained personal photos, but it took a few days as I did not push it by trying to do too many at once. It was very loud and kept flashing the overheated light, so I would cut it back to five or less at once. It is very heavy in comparison to others, but that is to be expected I guess. I take mine outside to empty as I do not want to drop the sharp pieces from the DVDs on the floor where my dogs could get to them.
If you are mainly going to shred papers, this one is great for that but not for extended periods of CD or DVD shredding. It's nice to not worry about removing staples too. It certainly helps fill in for my small shredder when the filing cabinet needs an overhaul. I gave it just three stars as it seems to be working a bit harder than it should when in constant use. I am careful not to exceed the page limit, or time frame. I do not have a regular jobs to use this with, just an occasional file update, and a stray DVD or two. For those jobs, it works fine.
on January 2, 2013
As others have indicated, the feed slot is narrow and not very forgiving, yet the paper feeds in just fine, it's just a bit more difficult/intimidating to get started. When shredding, the shredder makes a chugging noise, a completely "normal" sound for this shredder and I suppose that is partly why it is less noisy than other machines. It also may account for its somewhat slower speed. I don't like the fact that the basket does not have a lip by which to grab it to dispose the cut paper (an Aurora I owned did have a lip and this feature makes the basket easier to handle). This motor on this shredder is much heavier than the old shredder I had, yet, functionally doesn't seem to have that vast an improvement to justify it's increased weight.

I cannot say if I would recommend this Comet CM-C-100 shredder or not. Initial function is good and it shreds paper in smaller bits than the Aurora though insignificantly so (they were both cross-cut type). This machine does not seem to get as clogged as the older shredder either and the basket is larger.

My biggest concern for these shredders is longevity--the plastic clip which held the rod which activated a switch when paper was fed thru, broke on my previous shredder. I fixed it a couple of times but once broken, it continued to be a weak spot. If this construction is similar, I expect the same will happen after a few years.
on February 16, 2013
I gave this shredder four stars because it is an excellent value in being relatively quiet and effectively shredding paper and CDs.

Pros: 1. Quiet, at least in my experience. Other appliances that are routinely used are noisier, such as vacuum cleaners. 2. Shreds into relatively small pieces, 13/8 x 3/16. 3. It does in fact successfully shred several sheets of paper simultaneously, will also shred CDs. As another reviewer wrote about the size of the strips, they would not be impossible to reconstruct, but would be quite burdensome.

Cons: 1. I list this as a con although one could take it favorably as well. The paper opening is about 1/8 inch wide, which is probably too small for fingers to be put into it (a plus), but the product does not have a paper guide, so it also requires some practice to get paper to fit into it.
2. This is basically a shredder mechanism on top of something very like a garbage pail. It is top heavy as a result, but it isn't something I can't work with.I have spilled some of the shredded paper on the floor while emptying the bin, but it's the same procedure as emptying a trash can into a bag and strips of paper are not as heavy as trash cans' usual contents. However, I would want it partially enclosed in something else that would prevent it from tipping over if I had toddlers around or they would very likely tip it over. The shredder knives are recessed inside so that when the shredder top is removed the knives don't hit anything, but the top is heavy enough that you would not want it to fall on a toddler, and the fall would presumably not be good for the shredder mechanism itself.
on March 12, 2017
works well
on April 19, 2013
Had to choose this rating because after only 6 month of low usage it just stopped working. No warning, no reason. What a waste of money. When it did work it was fine. No complaints but if it doesn't work after only 6 months that was throwing money out the window. The only other thing I would say. It can be a little messy to empty. Could live with that since the original price was good and it had great reviews. That is why I brought in the first place because of the great reviews here Very disappointed to say the least. So now I sit with a shredder that doesn't work...sigh :-(
on December 31, 2012
This shredder is quiet and works very well for a home office. You don't want to overload it, but it does the job, shreds credit cards easily and papers that aren't too thick. Be patient and feed several sheets at a time, but don't bog it down with too many. It's not as powerful as the Xerox shredder I used to have, but it definitely is adequate for a home office and it's quieter than my previous shredder. It is an excellent value for the money.
on October 6, 2012
We love the quiet operation and large basket. Have owned it for about a month. No problems so far. Apparently it has a special cut off feature that when the basket is full or the paper is bunched up to high it stops automatically. All you have to do is shake the pile down or empty the basket and it's ready to go again. The basket window is also a nice feature. Shreds credit cards and CD,s easily. It supposedly can shred up to ten pages, haven't tried that myself.

The best I can say, it's GREAT for the price!!!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question