Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning kidsevergreen kidsevergreen kidsevergreen  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 33 reviews
on April 30, 2012
Excellent examples of Southern architecture! Not the over the top Hollywood version, but the real, authentic "I can't believe this house is new" old South that I grew up with. No short cuts, real wood, nothing done just for effect, but all elements working together in harmony. Beautifully photographed, many ideas you can really use. A real must- have book for anyone wanting an honest straight-forward livable yet elegant Southern home or cottage.In my dreams I will live in one of these homes!
on January 17, 2014
I bought this book for my daughter who is a lover of the antebellum homes of yester-year. She is trying to give that beautiful sense of time and a loved home to their new home. With extinsive study and work she is capturing that feeling in her 5 year old urban home. Coming Home: The Southern Vernacular House, was exactly what I had hoped it would be to help in her challenge. It is a beautiful book with lots of gorgeous pictures that help us recapture the past and shows through the pages how to surround ourselves with the sense of long ago by the use of colors, architecture and novel ideas.I was not disappointed, I'll order one for myself soon.
on August 9, 2013
This is a beautiful book with many beautiful houses and ideas. However, I found it was difficult to follow. I would have enjoyed seeing fewer houses and more of each house. I would have liked to have seen a general layout of the houses, a bit of the floor plan. They showed a lot of exteriors but not enough on the inside and the layout. Again too many houses not enough of each one.
on December 16, 2014
The design firm that creates these homes has written a book about some of the homes in their portfolio. The information and photos provide great inspiration for anyone who loves historic southern architecture.
on June 25, 2014
What an incredible collection of Southern architectural design! Many a time a thought I was looking at a meticulous restoration of a class Southern home, building or community only to find out it had been designed and built in the last decade or so. Superb design work and superb book.
on August 27, 2012
I'm not an expert on architecture- normally not even very interested. I was drawn to this book after seeing a home in a magazine that had been designed by this firm. The photos are beautiful, comforting, and detailed. I am learning much about the history and utility of a classic Southern home.
on December 13, 2016
This is another gift so hope I have made a wise selection.
on December 13, 2016
This is another gift so hope I have made a wise selection.
on January 17, 2013
I have several good books about Southern vernacular architecture and this one is a welcomed addition, just as good as the others. Recommended if you're interested in the South, its traditions, and its culture, and how architecture is influenced by these.
on September 3, 2016
Love this book. This is a keeper!