Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,017 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,076 reviews
on August 3, 2016
Tried installing from my old CDs to my older Windows 7 netbook (ASUS U31XE) and also to a new Windows 10 laptop (ASUS ROG) with absolutely no luck - none of the compatibility setting worked, nor did any of the "hacks" suggested online. But at one point I did read that the Ultimate Collection would install without issue and decided to try it (I'm stubborn like that sometimes). After setting up the required online account (no charge) and completing the required downloads the games have played wonderfully and without error on the Windows 10 laptop. If the nostalgia bug hits you and you don't have a W95 or XP machine still running, this is the route to go.
on August 27, 2014
I am an old fan of the original C&C series, and purchased this thinking that they may have updated the games to run on modern systems. I was wrong. Command and Conquer 3 and 4 work correctly, but I have tried the first Command and Conquer, as well as Tiberian Sun with no luck, they will not run at all, even under compatibility mode and with other tricks that I use on a lot of old games to get them working. This isn't really a surprise coming from EA, non working titles are their specialty, and there is nothing different about that here.
on December 9, 2012
First of all, let's just get the value out of the way. 17 games for standard retail price is fantastic. Sure some of the earliest games are available for free online anyway but honestly, those aren't the best reason for buying this package anyway.

In today's world, Real-Time Strategy games are certainly less prominent than they were 10 years ago but the one's we have are phenomenal. In comparison, some of the older Command and Conquer titles feel dated. The single mouse button system, the poor graphics which make it difficult to tell what units you're moving and the lack of any type of tutorial or unit descriptions. All of these are artifacts of a previous age of gaming. Still, since the original Command and Conquer is one of the earliest RTS games, it can be a fantastic reminder at how far the genre has come.

Even though the gameplay for these early games can feel ancient, the storylines are still phenomenal. The Tiberium Wars with their science fiction take on the future of our world, the Red Alert games with a more light-hearted campy look at how our world could have looked and the Generals series with a more modern warfare take on the series. For some, the storylines will make the older games worth playing through even without the nostalgia factor for long-time fans of the series.

The real reason to buy this game is for the newer titles in the Command and Conquer series. Red Alert 3, Generals and Command and Conquer 3 are the stand-out titles in this collection and make the whole thing worth buying. For anyone looking for great RTS games, these three plus their expansions are each easily worth the price of admission.

There are a few downsides to this collection though. The first and most upsetting problem is that none of these games are available on disk. In fact, this is really just a code making the games available through Origin, EA's download service. As far as I can tell, you don't have to remain online once the games are downloaded but I haven't spent much time offline gaming. This could be a serious problem though for those who may not have reliable internet access or aren't fans of Origin. The second problem is that some of the older games took some serious troubleshooting before they would work on my 64-bit Windows 7 OS. Every game from Red Alert 2 on worked without any problems and Tiberium Dawn worked fine but the others took some work and EA's tech support required several emails before they could solve the problem. Still, I did manage to get every game on the collection to work eventually. Last, Command and Conquer 4 is certainly a low point of the series and it can act as a painful reminder as to why they haven't made a C&C game for quite some time since then.

This generation has had some great value packs and this is no exception. If you are a fan of Command and Conquer or RTS games in general, this collection has some great selections. It does have its drawbacks but if you can look past those and are willing to put a little work into making a few of the older games work, it's a wonderful series and this complete collection of all 17 games can provide a lot of fun. As an added bonus, buying this collection will give you early access to the beta of the new Free-to-Play Command and Conquer when it is released.
77 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2017
Its pretty unclear how to install it. Finally I figured out it had to be done Through Origin... so I got more "Stuff" on my computer that I really dont want on there.

Then it doesnt run great on newer windows versions. I only bought it to play the regular Red Alert and that one has poor graphics.

I WOULD NOT recommend buying this. Better spend some more and get the CD's with a crack.
on January 26, 2014
REVISED REVIEW 06/03/15
I decided this needed to be revised. I increased my star to 4, although I do it kind of reluctantly. I would almost rather give it 3 1/2 stars. Originally, I was unhappy because you needed origin to be online in order to play. Well there is a setting in the origin app to allow for offline play, but you seem to have to set it first while you still have internet connection.

Later on I bought a new computer. It has windows 8.1 I installed the game and found that it would not play on the system. This really got me down, as I really like the game. However, I found a work around with that too. Right click on the executable, find the setting for compatibility mode, and tell it to run in compatibility mode on windows. After that, it worked like a charm.

I still think it is stupid to have to log in through Origin to play the game. They could have set it up as a requirement if you want your games backed up, but if you just want to play the game, you should be able to. So like I said, if I could give this 3 1/2, I would, but in lieu of that, I'll be generous and give it 4 stars because it is still a good game.

My rating is a bit misleading. This game is good. It always has been a good series. I owned the original game ages ago when it was installed with floppy discs. My dad purchased the 10 pack on DVDrom. I saw this over the Christmas Holiday on sale and I bought it. I will be going on vacation this summer and won't have internet access. I was planning on bringing my computer and looking forward to playing this game. So I turned off my computers wifi and tried to play the game.

YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS!!!

I understand that your game can be backed up online and your saved games stored in the cloud. But that doesn't change that this game was never an Internet game. It has internet options for multiplayer, but the game itself is stand alone.

I checked to see if the installed shortcut was calling for a launcher that I could bypass by opening the game execute directly. No luck there. The executable file still calls for the Origin sign in.

If I didn't enjoy this game so much I would only rate it 1 star because of this.
on April 19, 2017
The Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection is a good collection. However, prior to purchasing, I was not aware that the product required internet access to play. The game runs on a gaming website similar to Steam. So if you are going to purchase, please be aware that this is not a stand alone downloadable and playable version of the various C&C games. That is why I only gave the game three stars. In addition, I could not get the game to work on my computer running an older version of windows. Ensure you check exactly what the specifics are prior to purchase. I have yet to be able to play the game due to the above reasons.
on May 8, 2015
I used to play C&C as a young person, and the games that work easily from this bundle remind me of why i spent so many hours playing these games. Unfortunately, a few of the games require a lot more work to get working than i like, especially on Windows 8. In general, if you can get this bundle for a good price, it's definitely worth it for the trip down memory lane to the good old days of westwood studios (before it got absorbed and killed off). If you do find a game not working, as i did with Generals, a quick google search will likely give you the answer you need. Often it's as easy as launching the game from outside of Origin in admin mode, but each case will likely require some research.
on April 6, 2015
I have a windows 8 machine, so that may be part of the problem. First, you have to sign into EA's web system "Origin" to be able to play the games. Also, not all the games work on my machine. The older ones seem to work fine, but C&C 4 and Generals never installed correctly. I've reinstalled them several times, but they just don't work. Also, write down your Origin log-in information. If you ever loose it, it can take up to 2 days before they send you a new one by email. I loved the games, but wish that there was a way to get them in hard copy so that I knew the data was good.
on August 6, 2015
I already have some of these titles in my home library. I love me some C&C, one of my favorite titles. Why not add the rest to my titles and have them on Steam in one place. The cost was too good to pass up, OR WAS IT? First mistake when reading the reviews I notice quite a few negatives, but I ignored that and bought it anyway (hey it was inexpensive). Had to go to Steam to add these to my library. Whole shebang loaded in the browser fine but when I downloaded a few of these titles I found that some games will not even load properly making them unsuable. Why even make this in the first place...maybe to get people's money? This is not Amazons fault, they are only reselling a product another company gave to them (and I'm sure they have a big contract with them so they have to carry all titles); it is EA and Steam who is at fault. Save your money even if it is only 5.99! Shame on you EA and Steam, lesson learned indeed.
on December 8, 2013
Like most people who have bought this package, I have played the series since it was young. Being used to the older games I was excited to try their latest and greatest. They are much different then I was expecting which is both good and bad. The older games were focused on resources and combat where as the recent games tried to add more characters and change the players strategy towards innovation. The new games have much better graphics but the gameplay from the older seemed much more fun.

Like others, I also have had troubles trying to play the game as I would go to launch it and it would crash instantly. However, I could get past it by setting the compatibility on the runnable exe to XP service pack 2 and it would run without issue.

I got this package when it was on sale for 8 dollars. At that price I think it was well worth it even though I only wish to play Red Alert 2 and Generals which in my opinion are the two best games of the series.

Yes, it uses origin but from my experience isn't such a bad thing. I have found their customer service to be very good as my girlfriend had accidently added a game to the wrong account and they moved it over to another for us without question. If you want to get any big title EA game (Battlefield, Sims etc.) you are going to have to get it anyways.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.