Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 3, 2016
Tried installing from my old CDs to my older Windows 7 netbook (ASUS U31XE) and also to a new Windows 10 laptop (ASUS ROG) with absolutely no luck - none of the compatibility setting worked, nor did any of the "hacks" suggested online. But at one point I did read that the Ultimate Collection would install without issue and decided to try it (I'm stubborn like that sometimes). After setting up the required online account (no charge) and completing the required downloads the games have played wonderfully and without error on the Windows 10 laptop. If the nostalgia bug hits you and you don't have a W95 or XP machine still running, this is the route to go.
10 people found this helpful
on April 19, 2017
The Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection is a good collection. However, prior to purchasing, I was not aware that the product required internet access to play. The game runs on a gaming website similar to Steam. So if you are going to purchase, please be aware that this is not a stand alone downloadable and playable version of the various C&C games. That is why I only gave the game three stars. In addition, I could not get the game to work on my computer running an older version of windows. Ensure you check exactly what the specifics are prior to purchase. I have yet to be able to play the game due to the above reasons.
on August 1, 2015
The games were great when I played it a decade ago.

As for now, beware of EA's Origin service. It's bloatware.

I've seen Origin take up massive amount of resources at intermittently and Blue Screened my computer into oblivion.

I don't know what they did to these games but Red alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge runs sluggishly with extremely low fps at times.

i5 and 8GB of RAM on a GTX 970 on an SSD. These things should never happen.

Well, learned my lesson. EA's service is horrendous and should be avoided.

Buy the older Disc versions (without the Origin DRM) and forget about EA's bloatware. Their DRM method is draconian and will, as I mentioned before, bog down your system.
on August 27, 2014
I am an old fan of the original C&C series, and purchased this thinking that they may have updated the games to run on modern systems. I was wrong. Command and Conquer 3 and 4 work correctly, but I have tried the first Command and Conquer, as well as Tiberian Sun with no luck, they will not run at all, even under compatibility mode and with other tricks that I use on a lot of old games to get them working. This isn't really a surprise coming from EA, non working titles are their specialty, and there is nothing different about that here.
46 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on December 8, 2013
Like most people who have bought this package, I have played the series since it was young. Being used to the older games I was excited to try their latest and greatest. They are much different then I was expecting which is both good and bad. The older games were focused on resources and combat where as the recent games tried to add more characters and change the players strategy towards innovation. The new games have much better graphics but the gameplay from the older seemed much more fun.

Like others, I also have had troubles trying to play the game as I would go to launch it and it would crash instantly. However, I could get past it by setting the compatibility on the runnable exe to XP service pack 2 and it would run without issue.

I got this package when it was on sale for 8 dollars. At that price I think it was well worth it even though I only wish to play Red Alert 2 and Generals which in my opinion are the two best games of the series.

Yes, it uses origin but from my experience isn't such a bad thing. I have found their customer service to be very good as my girlfriend had accidently added a game to the wrong account and they moved it over to another for us without question. If you want to get any big title EA game (Battlefield, Sims etc.) you are going to have to get it anyways.
on January 26, 2014
REVISED REVIEW 06/03/15
I decided this needed to be revised. I increased my star to 4, although I do it kind of reluctantly. I would almost rather give it 3 1/2 stars. Originally, I was unhappy because you needed origin to be online in order to play. Well there is a setting in the origin app to allow for offline play, but you seem to have to set it first while you still have internet connection.

Later on I bought a new computer. It has windows 8.1 I installed the game and found that it would not play on the system. This really got me down, as I really like the game. However, I found a work around with that too. Right click on the executable, find the setting for compatibility mode, and tell it to run in compatibility mode on windows. After that, it worked like a charm.

I still think it is stupid to have to log in through Origin to play the game. They could have set it up as a requirement if you want your games backed up, but if you just want to play the game, you should be able to. So like I said, if I could give this 3 1/2, I would, but in lieu of that, I'll be generous and give it 4 stars because it is still a good game.

My rating is a bit misleading. This game is good. It always has been a good series. I owned the original game ages ago when it was installed with floppy discs. My dad purchased the 10 pack on DVDrom. I saw this over the Christmas Holiday on sale and I bought it. I will be going on vacation this summer and won't have internet access. I was planning on bringing my computer and looking forward to playing this game. So I turned off my computers wifi and tried to play the game.

YOU CAN NOT PLAY THIS GAME IF YOU DO NOT HAVE INTERNET ACCESS!!!

I understand that your game can be backed up online and your saved games stored in the cloud. But that doesn't change that this game was never an Internet game. It has internet options for multiplayer, but the game itself is stand alone.

I checked to see if the installed shortcut was calling for a launcher that I could bypass by opening the game execute directly. No luck there. The executable file still calls for the Origin sign in.

If I didn't enjoy this game so much I would only rate it 1 star because of this.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 8, 2013
I love these games. Very nostalgic for me. For the price, it is worth it. Some caveats...

This is just a code so that you can login to Origin Games and download any game in this collection. There is no DVD version of this game. Download speeds are abyssmal -- I got about 150kbps.

The two games I have downloaded and played so far are Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 3. I am running them on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with no issues and no workarounds needed, despite having read that others have problems. The games were 2 and 15 gb each, so it took a long time to get them installed.

Please also be aware that these games, once downloaded, are tied to the Origin website. That means an internet connection is still required to play. It also means that if you want to play with someone else, even on your own LAN, you will require two copies.

I did buy two copies. I was able to download once, and then transfer the files to another computer to install there.

Windows 7 does not support IPX, so Command and Conquer, Red Alert, Red Alert 1 and Red Alert 2 Network play will not work... well... at least not without a third party "patch" that I have not tried.
3 people found this helpful
on July 28, 2015
Half the games are not compatible with Windows 7, Windows 8, or any of the "modern" OS. EA claims these games are compatible with recent OS - which is totally untrue. Many of these games are completely unplayable despite multiple tries to run it in compatibility mode. Red Alert 1 is barely playable, and regularly freezes up and crashes. Red Alert 2, the expansions, etc are completely unplayable, as the game freezes during the menu screen. The earlier C&C games are also unplayable. EA did a terribly job of making sure these games were actually compatible with modern computers.
on January 2, 2015
So much fun to play some of the classics. They are just as fun today as when I first played them. We bought 3 licenses to play between myself and two sons. This is through Origin, so you will have to have a separate license for everyone if you want to play at the same time. If you want to play on multiple computers at different times, you can login to the account with this game from the computer you want to play on.
TIP: For playing LAN version with friends who may or may not be on the same network.
I used to use Hamachi but got tired of the cost and constant crashes. I found a new free version called NeoRouter. This works perfect for playing this game with friends in the same house and friends on the other side of the country. Everyone is on the same network for playing LAN version. We use Skype with headsets to talk as a group. Sort of like playing old gameboards around the kitchen table that way. Enjoy.
on February 6, 2014
This is a an attempted modernization of a very old series of games. I understand that there would be some loss of quality in the conversion from the old cpu compatibility to the current hardware platforms... but this is awful.
If it had been mentioned somewhere honestly that the oldest games did not convert well, I would probably have still purchased it but I would have at least known what to expect.

the newer releases fared better as would be expected and would give them 3.5-4 stars.
Online purchase and download and installation were flawless and fast and I would rate them 4.5-5 stars.

However the games I was looking for are essentially unplayable and just plain awful and rate no stars.

I don't blame the company for selling this, nor do I blame them for the quality, I understand why things are like they are, but they should have included a screenshot of the games so people could have the complete understanding of how bad (or good) the game conversion worked out.

I don't hold anyone at fault. I was just very let down at getting something I was hoping would be a revival of a game series I loved very much when I was a bit younger.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.