Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Comotomo Natural Feel Baby Bottle, Green, 8 Ounces
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1

Color: Green|Size: 250ml|Change

on December 13, 2011
Before I review the product itself, please note: ***This 250ml bottle comes with a size 3 mo.+, medium-flow nipple!*** I originally ordered this bottle along with a separate set of med-flow nipples, thinking the bottle came with a slow-flow nipple. Fortunately, Amazon has great customer service and refunded me for the extra set since the size is nowhere in the description.

SOME BACKGROUND:

My baby has been exclusively breast-fed for most of his first 5 months with the exception of his first couple of weeks since he was in the NICU. We had been meaning to bottle-train him for one of his feedings to not only allow us some flexibility, but also for emergency situations (if something happened to me, etc.). However, I blinked and 5 months few by and we still had not introduced a bottle.

We first tried Avent bottles because my oldest used them with no problem, and we already had them. While he tried to suck on them, his "technique" was just awkward on the bottle: he just gummed the nipple and sucked in a whole lot of air at the sides of his mouth. And after all that work, he still didn't end up drinking any of the milk. Then we tried the Adiri bottles, which just provoked his rage and frustration. He would try gum down on the "nipple mound" (much like babies do on the real breast to compress the milk glands) but the mound was too hard and the nipple itself was too short. Not wanting to go down the way of trying 20 more bottles, I began researching different types, and looking for one that was as close to breastfeeding as possible. It came down to the Mimijumi or the Comotomo. Both have excellent reviews, but only one looks really creepy... So I went with the Comotomo bottles.

These are very-thoughtfully designed bottles that mimic the breastfeeding process as closely as a manufactured product can. My son screamed his head off the first time we tried this bottle, whimpered the second time, and guzzled the milk the third time. As when any bottle, it will take time to get them used to a completely different way of getting their food. However, some bottle features make the transition easier/possible.

THE NIPPLE:

* Large, wide "nipple mound" (Don't know what else to call it!) makes contact with baby's cheeks, tip of nose and chin, much like a real breast. This was not only tactilely appealing, but it allowed for a sealed latch and prevented unnecessary air from being ingested.
* While the mound is soft and pliable, the actual nipple and the base area surrounding it is even more so. This allows baby to gum and compress the milk out of the bottle, and also allows for the nipple to be flattened and sucked further into baby's mouth. Just like the real thing!
* Two vents siphon out extra air so that baby doesn't ingest it. Nonetheless, my baby still had enormous burps after bottle-feeding -- much more so than when he breastfeeds.
* Nipple locks into the ring tightly, and we have had absolutely no issues with leaking.

THE BOTTLE:

* The bottle is pliable and can be squeezed to mimic a "let down" effect or to get a sleepy baby re-interested into feeding. This is a great feature!
* Subdued design. This was why I chose the Comotomo over the Mimijumi, which really looks like a boob-on-a-bottle...I just couldn't do it.
* The oz. markings are a little too subdued -- it is really hard to read the measurements. I can live with this because the rest of the bottle is so awesome.
* No crevices for the milk to get stuck in.
* Easy to clean.

The only thing I wish Comotomo did was have the body of the bottle angled, like the Mimijumi. When it gets down to the last sips, you have to angle the bottle up; however, because the mound part of the nipple is so big, it pushes more into baby's nose -- since they need to breath while eating, you have to either recline your baby even more or you might have to forgo that last sip or two. This is slightly annoying since the rest of the bottle is so well-thought out. Oh well.

UPDATE 1/6/2012

Okay, after using these bottles for a little longer, I changed my 5-star rating to 4-stars for the following reasons:

* The frosted-color of the body (as mentioned before) make the oz. markings very difficult to see. This only slightly bothered me before because I was so thrilled that my baby was taking the bottle well. However, after a few weeks with using the bottle, this issue is becoming more annoying. I don't have the time to keep peering and straining my eyes to see how much liquid I am putting in the bottle. I can especially see this as problematic for those who are trying to measure out formula. In the middle of the night. When you are pretty much a zombie.
* The frosted body also prevents you from seeing how much your baby has drunk. I like to pull the bottle away from baby as soon as he has taken the last sip to prevent unnecessary air ingestion, but I cannot see when this happens due to frosted-style. In order for you to see how much your baby has drunk you have to sort of shift him/her around to try and see the liquid level -- not the best thing to be doing if your baby is starting to doze off. So the past few times my baby has been sucking air at the end, and I didn't know it. Why couldn't Comotomo make their bottles CLEAR and with VISIBLE OZ. MARKINGS?? It may not look as cool, but this mom wants practical over cool.
* Someone mentioned that the nipples don't have the size marking on them (i.e. slow-flow, medium, fast). I checked mine, and they don't! They all look the exact same. Yikes!
* Also, the company stamped all the nipples with "Comotomo" in raised lettering on the nipple...right where the baby's lips would be if he/she had a wider latch. The lettering is on two opposite sides of the nipple, and the other areas next to it are the vents. It doesn't seem to bother my baby, but I can imagine some baby being bothered by the feeling of either the lettering or vents. Just FYI.
1111 comments| 395 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2015
First off let me say that I am a stay-at-home dad. Our little one was breastfed-only for 3 months then Mommy had to go back to work. Unfortunately the baby was not drinking from our Born Free bottles from our previous children. We tried Playtex, Tommee Tippee, Adiri NxGen, First Years Breastflow, and a few other standard bottles. He wouldn't drink from any of them. We saw the Comotomo on Amazon and had never heard of the brand but we're willing to give it a try as all others weren't working for him. To our gracious surprise he willingly attached to the bottle. The bottle is silicon and super easy to clean. Because it's small, light weight, and textured he was able to easily grip the bottle. We used this bottle exclusively until he was old enough to drink from a sippy cup. If your desperate because your little one is not latching onto a bottle, give Comotomo a try! It worked well for us.
on January 5, 2012
I had never written a review on any product, but this bottle is so good in many ways I feel I owe a credit to the designer.

I've looked at hundreds of reviews on many major brands of breast feeding bottles.
The conclusions I've found:
- Adiri has problems with the leaking cap, venting and nipple being too soft.
- The First Years Breastflow has complaints about nipple tip wearing out too fast.
- Tommee Tippee drips on the rim of the nipple.
I end up bought the Mimijumi very hungry baby and Comotomo 5oz, both are slow flow.

My baby girl was born under weight, she had trouble latching on the breast with her little mouth.
After 2-3 weeks, she still not latching well on the breast and gets tired sucking before being full.
Concern about her weight gain, I end up feeding her with the bottle exclusively for a month.
I tried the Mimijumi first and found that it drip quite fast when turn up side down.
Which makes my baby chokes whenever she pause.
The nipple is a little too soft and we had trouble emptying the last bit from the bottle.
Its not a bad product, just not as good.
The Comotomo works much better, the nipple doesn't drip much when turn up side down.
So my baby has to work for the milk and I could toss a full bottle in my purse without worries about leaking(with the cap).
She feed so well on it, she doubled her weight at 6 weeks.

After a month on bottle exclusively, I didn't give much hope feeding on the breast ever again.
One day she was crying a lot, so I put her on the breast just to comfort her.
To my amazement, she not only had no trouble feeding on the breast after a whole month.
She is latching on much better than before.
She end up finished the whole meal and fell asleep in my arms.
I am so happy with this bottle.
Not only it doesn't confuse my baby, it helps her to learn a proper latching.

I would recommend this bottle to every pumping mom.
Thanks Comotomo!!!
You've given me the chance to enjoy a wonderful breast feeding experience with my baby girl.

PROS:
- design for proper latching, wont confuse baby
- non-slip surface, easy to hold on
- could be boil
- perfect air pressure, doesn't choke baby when pause
- nipple not too soft/hard
- well designed air vent
- nice looking
- BPA free, easy cleaning, etc.

CONS (rooms for improvement):
- the material attracts hair and lint.
- tips over at times
- measurement is hard to read
- don't have a matching steamer for sale
- twin pack doesn't give color choice (more colors in the future?)
- fast and viable flow nipples only available in 48 states
(It wont ship to Canada, help please!!! I really want to order it)

Kris Lau and baby Trinity from Toronto Canada
22 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2014
I liked the concept of this bottle and wanted so badly for my daughter to take it but she still will not take a bottle. For her, the nipple was too big. It also seemed like she could not latch onto it. I actually tried a Dr. Browns bottle again, and she had a better latch on the bottle but she refused it.
on August 10, 2012
I EBF and didn't give my baby a bottle of pumped milk until she was a little older than 4 months and everyone was warning me "she's not gonna take a bottle" since I waited so long... but when I say she had NO problem taking this bottle right from the start, I mean she had NO problem! She gulped that milk down! I personally don't feed her with it, I leave that up to her dad and her grandparents but by the second time she was holding it herself just like she holds the boob! I also bought another brand "just in case" and the Comotomo is definitely her preference. The feel and shape, along with the large nipple area are great! Definitely recommended and thankful that this helped us have a drama-free first bottle experience!
review image
on May 6, 2016
Let me first start by saying I love this product. I was fully breast feeding my baby but after a bad case of RSV she had to begin taking formula. At that moment she started rejecting EVERY SINGLE BOTTLE I attempted to give her. I purchased 1 of each bottle on the shelves of Target. Someone told me about Comotomo and because I could not find it in any store I decided to purchase it on Amazon. This bottle was a life saver. This bottle was soft which allowed me to simulate a let down during the feeding. She fought it at first but then as soon as I simulated the let down she started drinking and loved it. The nipple of the bottle is amazing. Unlike a lot of bottles we tried previously, the nipple of this bottle is soft, yet smaller then regular bottles. I also love that this bottle does not allow air go into my daughters mouth while feeding. She really loves this bottle and so do I.

Comparison:
Dr Brown: My first daughter loved Dr. Browns. My second did not feel the same way. The nipple felt very plastic and not wide enough for her to get a good latch.
It does have the anti-gas parts but it also means more cleaning and putting together. At 3 am when I am half a sleep, putting parts together is not exactly what I want to do.

Tommie Tippee: This bottle had a larger nipple. However, I felt that it was "hard". It did not feel too natural. Now I understand that its a bottle so it will never feel like the real breast. However, my daughter would not want to latch. She always made a funny face when I put this bottle in her mouth.

I recommend this bottle to every breastfeeding mother that has to bottle feed.
I have added a video to show exactly how the bottle is. Also a lot of moms were asking which warmer they used with this bottle and I have found that "the first years" warmer fit it well enough and was cheap. Got the work done. Just be careful because it makes the bottle itself very hot, but it cools within a couple of seconds. The milk/formula however, stays warm long enough for my baby to finish a feeding.
on May 8, 2016
My little one is 3 months old today and after two days home we realized she wasn't latching well and had to supplement with formula. I breast feed and bottle feed. I have used Joovy glass, Advent glass, life factory glass and then these Comotomo. I did a lot of research while pregnant bc I knew I was going back to work and would need to use bottles. I didn't want to use regular plastic bottles even though they are BPA free, my thoughts were "what else do they have in plastic we don't know about?". Comotomo seemed the most promising with best reviews, silicone(not plastic) and highly recommended by BuyBuyBaby employees. After three months of using multiple bottles, these are my favorite! No risk of glass breaking and cutting hubbys hand resulting in a 10:30 pm trip to ER (YES this happened!) 5 stitches later he's fine!
I love the open mouth for cleaning, why aren't all bottles like this? Nice soft nipple that does not stick out too much, more like boob. Easy to carry in diaper bag and I don't worry about them clanging together.
Only two down falls are: they easily tip over bc the base is narrow but it's not a big deal since the bottle obviously has a lid and it doesn't break & the other is if you put them in a bottle warmer to warm up breast milk it takes twice as long since the silcone is heat resistant... bummer but I just add additional time to the timer. I also wish they would make the measurements in the matching color so they are easier to see but not a big deal.
I still have some of the other brand bottles I use but I always find my self and hubby grabbing these to use over the other ones. At this point, I'm putting away the other brands and buying more of these!
review image review image review image
on July 20, 2015
Both of my sons were almost exclusively breastfed, with occasional bottles with pumped milk. Due to this, I had a tough time getting them to take bottles. By my second child, I had tried almost all the bottles on the market: Playtex, Avent, Dr. Brown's, Tommee Tippee, Breastflow, Medela, and one or two other, more obscure ones. The only one that worked for son #2 was the Comotomo (Comotomo was not available for baby #1). I don't think Comotomo advertises this, but the bottom of the silicone bottle is flexible (but study enough to stand up). So, my nanny found that she could squeeze the bottom of the bottle, allowing the milk to squirt out gently like the breast. It is the only way she got my son to take the bottle and I think this is a feature that is unique to the comotomo. The bottles are expensive, so I didn't buy very many and bought more nipples, but I am so glad I found this bottle. If you are having issues with your child taking the bottle, give this one a try!
on March 13, 2013
I wanted to find a bottle that was as close to breastfeeding as possible so that if we ever had to supplement with formula or pumped breastmilk, it would give the least chance the baby would be confused. Based on the reviews here on Amazon and a suggestion from another mom, I figured I'd give this bottle a try. In the first few days, we were really happy with the purchase - the nipple is really soft and does resemble the breast. In regards to the slow flow, when I turn it upside down it does not drip and the baby seems to take longer to finish the bottle so we were happy with it. Plus the bottle was easy to clean. The only concerns I had at that point were 1) that the bottle tipped over really easily so I had to be careful when filling it with formula or breastmilk and 2) that we started to notice some foam bubbles that would remain in the plain water after swishing around the bottle a bit. The latter was a bit alarming to me because it doesn't happen in any of the other bottles we have (Dr. Browns, Avent, Breastflow), but I didn't think much of it continued to use the bottle.

After a week, my wife decided to test the slow flow of all of our bottles by sucking on them. That's when we found out that there was a weird plasticky taste to the Comotomo bottle. Mind you this was already after the 9-10 uses with the baby so we've washed and sterilized it many times already. I again washed the bottle with mild soap and made sure to rinse really clean before trying again, but the plasticky taste didn't go away. After I dried the bottle, I smelled the inside of the bottle and sure enough there was that same plasticky smell. The nipple itself doesn't have any odor, just the bottle. We freaked out and stopped using the bottle. Maybe the silicone has something to do with it? I've contacted Comotomo through their Facebook page and hope to hear back from them on this issue. I really hope its just a defective bottle and not the norm across all of their bottles.
77 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2015
I bought many different bottles w good ratings and this is the only one that doesn't take in air when my baby's drinking. No nipple confusion either, great to use while still breastfeeding. It also still works well when I mix in a little rice cereal, doesn't clog.