Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 85 reviews
on December 29, 2014
Absolutely the best study guide books out there. Sybex/Wiley offers a thorough and comprehensive material guide. If you want a quick exam cramming information sheet, this isn't for you. This Security+ book walked me through each of the concepts using charts and information in a way that makes sense. It's a great way to learn and retain the information because you understand it in a deeper way, rather than just memorizing facts and not knowing how they are applied.

I will always buy this brand of books when studying for my future exams. I know some people are able to memorize the information, but for me I need that more in-depth learning material to understand it.

IMPORTANT: The SY0-301 exam is now outdated as of January 2015, so be sure to get the newest material for the SY0-401 exam. It has different objectives covered. I would definitely recommend the Sybex/Wiley brand.
on March 11, 2012
I spent several months reading and reviewing the book and the included CD. I got to a point where I could easily get all of the chapter test questions correct and I knew all of the answers for the flashcards on the CD. I still though was not prepared for the exam despite the fact that I have a background including several years as an MCSE with computer security as a job requirement. I ended up having to get the Transcender Security+ Practice Exam/Flashcard kit and spent several weeks mastering that too and passing the Security+ exam on the first attempt.
The book is pretty well written, but there are several errors in the material, which caused some confusion requiring me to investigate what what I suspected was erroneous.
I recommend the book, but not as an only source for aquiring the knowledge needed for the exam. The Transcender material had some additional information not mentioned in the book which was helpful during the exam.
on March 14, 2014
I bought the Kindle version of this book looking to have more portable, eco-friendly textbook for class. Unlike Kindle versions of other books I've purchased, this is verbatim to the paperback: references to using the accompanying CD are still intact, instead of providing to an alternative download link.

Because I'm using this book for a class that I'm being graded on (and I hope to use this for the Security+ cert) I have to be sure that I can access the accompanying study materials. I had to return the Kindle version and buy the paperback to make sure that I have all of the necessary materials.

Please re-release this book on Kindle with clearly written links to download the study materials so that those of use with space issues and environmental concerns are not forced to buy the physical book!
on November 8, 2012
This book is really beneficial is you want to pass the Security+ exam. The chapters are in an order that builds upon the last so you're always learning new things while progressing your knowledge of what you learned in the previous chapter.

As is the case with most of these certification books, I feel like there could have been more accurate and detailed sample questions. The difference between the questions in this book and on the actual exam differ quite a bit. For example, the exam will present a very specific scenario instead of asking general questions like the book. I can't complain too much because, in the end, the book helped me achieve my certification.
on January 2, 2016
Probably the most valuable resource in terms of understanding the basic concepts and preparing for the exam. Would highly recommend for anyone who is looking to advance their career and broaden their possibilities. Gaining this cert has helped me greatly in my career.
on February 26, 2014
This book and its CD provides all the required information to pass the COMPTIA Pearson View testing center certification. Thanks Amazon and COMPTIA for providing materials to meet the certification requirements for DoD.
on February 9, 2010
After letting the book sit on my shelf and collect dust for about 4 months, I finally broke it open and studied the material. I read the entire book, and pretty much skipped all the hands on exercises at the end of each chapter. When I was done I reviewed the book material I had highlighted and did all the chapter and bonus exams included with the book. I also used the flash cards and to the point that I had the flash cards and exams memorized. After using all this material I passed the exam with an 855, I know not the perfect 900 but Ill live with it.

The deluxe book has two additional bonus test exams and I was able to use those as well (a friend of mine had that book) If you want to spend a bit more for the additional exams its good to go with the deluxe book. If not this book has enough material to pass the exam and move on to the next one.
on March 4, 2009
The book is built on a clean language, the ideas are well organized inside each chapter, but you could perceive that chapters themselves are not in the optimal order...Sometimes you have to jump from one chapter to another to cover completely an idea exposed in this book.

On the other hand, you will have to buy additional simulations and practice questions to complete your preparation, because this book does not offer you practice questions with the appropiate level of complexity compared to the real exam.
on December 7, 2013
This was the only book I used (with included software) to obtain my Sec+ cert. I got certified on the first pass, so this book obviously taught me everything I needed to know without having to add anything else to the curriculum. I can't say wether it's the best out there or not, but it worked great for me. The writing style was slightly too formal for me and felt a little drab at times, but it did the job. Good luck on your studies!
on August 9, 2015
target should have read this book.
mind numbingly boring, but I guess that's why people who do this stuff get hired.
to fend off the boring attackers from the boring data, to keep us from losing our standard of boring lives.
yawn.