Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 534 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 623 reviews
on April 16, 2012
I didn't know anything about counting calories. Using online calculator I have found that it is extremely effective to count calories. My problem was I didn't know how many calories food had in it. I thought I was eating healthy but found I always ate to many hidden calories "the extras". So this book goes with me everywhere. It made me aware of high calorie food and I've lost 30 pounds easily. Using this as I reference my eating 5 times a day doesn't make me gain but lose since I am better educated. Get it you won't be sorry!
on March 18, 2013
I have to agree with the other few reviewers & say that I too think this book has got wayyyyy too much garbage in it!! I mean... I can't help but wonder doesn't ANY one cook their OWN food nowadays??? -Makes it hard to find just simple things.

I too, just want a plain, whole food calorie counter book. IS there such a thing?? If there is, pleeeease, do let me in on it!! ;-)
44 comments| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2017
First of all, it's totally filled with pages and pages of fast food. Doesn't anyone cook anymore? And then the book totally passes over any alcohol. Wine and beer are in there, as well as mixers to use with alcohol, but no alcohol at all! Cutting back on alcohol is an easy way to lose weight, why would the author eliminate it and yet include wine and beer?? Very disappointed with this book; it's going back or in the trash!
on February 25, 2012
Where did my review go? I was typing and all of a sudden my review was replaced by an oversized picture of the book. Getting out of that, my review was gone and I was kicked out of Amazon.

I'll try again.

This book is one of the best I've found to date. There are over 900 pages of food choices with counts for protein, carbs, cholesterol, sodium, fat, fiber and calories. It would be hard to find a food not included. However, for my personal needs I would like to see a couple of things that would improve the book.
1. There is no count for the amount of sugar in the food. As one who needs that info due to high triglycerides it would be very useful. Triglycerides don't receive their own label entry because they are manufactured by the liver. While there is cholesterol included, my own situation calls for the sugar count since my cholesterol levels are fine.
2. I would love for the restaurant menu information in a seperate section. They are simply included within the alphabetic listing. And while I understand that not all restaurants could ever be included, it would be great to have some of the major chains included for comparison purposes. For example, Pizza Hut is analyzed but not Godfathers. And it would be nice to have a couple of restaurants in each food category such as Olive Garden vs Carrabas. Or Red Lobster vs. Joe's Crab Shack, etc.
3. Many of the entries represent what appear to be regional brands so some of the brands in my midwest location are not included. But at least the national brands are included so one can suppose that a similar item would be comparable.

Overall, I would recommend this. Much better than another book about triglycerides that I purchased at the same time.
55 comments| 125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
Well, this book is really not for me. I guess I bought it in haste and therefore waste! It is all about name brand items and eating out as in restaurants. I was wanting a more complete "basic" calorie counter book. I don't eat out enough to warrant so many pages dedicated to it. Sorry. Amazon on the whole is my favorite place to shop.
44 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2017
This book is trade paperback sized and very thick which would make it hard to use. Tiny print and the binding broke as I was taking is out of the shipping package dropping about a third of the book pages on the post office floor. Finding anything in this book would take some time as it's flimsy, overcrowded and badly bound.
on March 27, 2017
Having read reviews before buying this book I had some reservations but bought it anyway and I'm very pleased with it. If there is anything negative about it is that it has so many items listed. There are many generic items listed mostly as fresh (just what I wanted) as well as name brands. Certainly there are some things one must average to come up with a calorie count and that is okay with me. I have looked at many items and compared them with other sources and find the book to be pretty accurate. Simple and easy lookup.
on November 25, 2015
Maybe it was this customer's mistake, but when the listing said complete "food counts" it led one to think all the nutrition areas would be listed. However, this fat little paperback does not include the sugars count, among other things, so it does not work for bariatric surgery diets. If you just want calories, fats, carbs, and proteins, this will do you, but this book definitely does not give complete nutrition counts. It will also work better if you are interested in pre-made, prepackaged foods; not whole food, from-scratch cooking. If you don't have your Pringles container, you can look up the info in here. Not very complete, so not very recommended.
on April 5, 2017
This book has helped me preparing foods for my diabetic spouse allowing me to count the carbs for each item included in the meal, even when we use prepared entrees. It is however sometimes difficult to find some food items
on March 1, 2015
This *may* be a good book if you never cook with fresh, whole ingredients. So, for example,if I want to make a stew and figure out the nutritional info for my recipe--impossible. No listing for raw beef of any cut, not to mention other raw ingredients I use.

The majority of food items are brand name, packaged items that already have a label, or restaurant/fast foods that can be found online, so why would anyone need this book?