Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 84 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 100 reviews
on May 9, 2016
The last sushi book almost put me off making sushi. This, however, is well organized, clear and not as judgmental as the last book. The demonstrations are clear and the photos are enticing and inspiring. Best book I have seen on the subject.
on August 14, 2017
This is a very good sushi book. There are a lot of color pictures that show you how your food should look and be presented. You cannot beat the price
on January 11, 2007
This really is a stunning book. The photos are worth the price of admission.You might want to look at it on your way to your local sushi bar though because trust me - that is where you will be going after you read it!

The nouvelle makizushi petrified me though. I don't want proscuitto in my sushi - no way, no how! There are just some combinations that should never be made. Not even for art.

I buy many books on cuisine and especially sushi and Japanese food and this is one of the absolute BEST.
on February 27, 2012
This is GREAT COOKBOOK!!! If you're into sushi and want an easy way to learn the culture, techniques, and varieties of sushi, while learning the types and ways to make it, this book is for you. It has everything from detailed instructions on how to cook and roll it to the different garnishes and decoratives you can use to prefessionalize it. From pictures of what you're making to how to collect the freshest fish and vegetables, to tips on making the tastiest sushi rice and how to clean and prepare your fish. This book is very instructional and a very interesting read. I bought it expecting to read the average cookbook, but received a book that goes beyond my expectations. It even goes into detail about the culture, dining etiquette, eating at a sushi bar, and different types of sushi and sushimi; i.e. thick rolls, thin rolls, soups, new age, decorative, and vegetarian sushi. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is intrigued in the creation and consumption of sushi.
on June 7, 2017
Good recipes! The sushi rice was too sweet though, had to adjust to taste
on January 7, 2016
Yes, I know we could have just kept googling recipes, but this book is all inclusive, with plenty of pictures and step by step instructions. It covers everything from tools, to proper sushi rice (for multiple methods of cooking it), to sauces, to sushi, even dessert sushi (which I never would have even thought of googling!)
on May 1, 2016
I am just getting into making sushi rolls, I think this book has every imaginable sushi roll recipe, tips, tricks etc. that I will ever
need. I learned a lot just reading through it, very interesting stuff. For me, the perfect sushi book.
on December 26, 2007
I bought this book for my sushi-loving-husband as a Christmas gift so that he can make his own sushi. This book is a great investment for the sushi lover. The author's recipes are complete and her directions for making sushi are impeccable.
Especially helpful were her directions for making sushi rice - it came out beautifully! She provides instructions for making perfect rice whether you have a rice cooker or not. This was especially valuable because you do not need "special" rice for making sushi (I've seen so-called sushi rice in grocery stores for ridiculous prices!).
The most difficult part of the process for us was rolling the sushi. She explains how to do this very clearly.
Overall a great book with gorgeous pictures and helpful directions!
on January 6, 2017
Bought for a gift, they love it
on January 4, 2011
The photographs in this book are beautiful. Some of the directions are a little hard to understand, giving both too much and not enough information. For example, we're told to adjust the amount of water used to cook the rice based on, among other things, the age of the rice. But more water for older rice? Probably, but maybe it's less?

This is a minor flaw in an inspirational book, showcasing the visual appeal of sushi. There are also helpful notes on traditions and ettiquite of preparing, serving, and dining. Many of the dishes are unusual or unexpected, especially the fruit recipies. We haven't prepared any meals from the book yet, but the instructions seem consistant with our limited experience of preparing sushi (vegetarian and cooked versions at home, and raw in a cooking class). I admit to being nervous about preparing raw dishes at home, but even if we do not, there are plenty of recipies to keep us busy.