Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 210 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 275 reviews
on June 19, 2014
The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou was published in 1994. When reading Maya Angelou’s poems I hear her voice in my head. When she read her poems she brought them to life for me. I love the rhythm and rhyme of her poems but also the story or narrative poems. Her poetry of slave and work songs she uses a personal narrative and emphases on the individual response to hardship, oppression and loss. She once said “Once I got into it I realized I was following a tradition established by Frederick Douglas-the slave narrative speaking in the first-person singular talking about the first-person plural, always saying I meaning ‘we’. And what a responsibility. Trying to work with that form, the autobiographical mode, to change it, to make it bigger, richer, finer, and more inclusive in the twentieth century has been a challenge for me.” The book is divided into a collection of love poems, slavery and work poems, and poems about the fight for equality-civil rights of the 50-60’s. It contains a few of my favorite poems, “And Still I rise”, I know why the Caged Bird Sings”, Phenomenal Women. And it also has “On the Pulse of Morning” the poem she wrote for President William Clinton’s inauguration. This is a book I will keep forever to read or and over again.
on October 18, 2016
po·et·ry. [ˈpōətrē]

NOUN

1.literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature:

You don't have to like it. It's for the people that it speaks to, and if it doesn't speak to you, find something that does. To say it wasn't my cup of tea is one thing, but to declare something bad because it wasn't done to your specifications says that you don't have the soul for art. You don't have the creativity mind to understand subjectivity. Art is subjective.

I personally love many if not most of these poems. Some of them I connected with right away and others didn't carry meaning until I was older. There are even some that were not for me, but they were no less art than the ones that did.
on November 7, 2013
The "complete" collected poems by Angelou dates back to 1994 and she is still alive. I noted that many of her poems were not included in the volume either because they were published after 1994 or because the publisher chose to omit some. Thus, I think Random House should consider updating and reissuing the volume of this important writer/poet.
on May 24, 2014
A powerful collection which paints pictures with words ( with warmth and love) documenting the pain and joy of an African-American living in America. I purchased this because I love Miss Angelou's work. She expresses exactly what has been experienced in many situations throughout the ages... a cultural and historical documentation!!!
on September 21, 2016
After following the Olympics ardently . . . and the beautiful reading of her poem throughout . . . this poem and the poetry for Ms. Angelou stuck a deep chord for a close friend's heart and he stated he would like to have a copy of her poetry. It became a best-birthday present and for this I am very thankful.
on April 1, 2017
Amazing!
on July 23, 2014
Maya pours out her soul with some of her best poetry she wrote in her life. I enjoyed her poetry which is like no other a great deal, I have been reading many of the great classic poets of history in English, Her will stand up there with the greats from other ages I just really loved her writing that transcends color and sexual barriers Her work could be read by anyone and have them get something from it.
on May 23, 2014
Beautiful and wonderful works
encouraging and lovely
powerful and magic
real and graceful
amazing gifted and blessed mind of Maya
on November 4, 2015
Dr. Maya Angelou -- a true inspiration and all around great person. All of her poems are wonderful so when I saw this I knew I had to get it, one could call it an impulse buy. I am glad I did, I can't wait to dive into this...
on December 7, 2015
It was a great gift for my Pastor. He loves books and he loved Dr. Angelou!