Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

on September 3, 1999
In October 1998, with very little money to spend and a kernel of an idea for a book, I spent an afternoon in a book superstore and emerged with only two books--the "Idiot's Guide to Getting Published" and based on a suggestion from that book, "Jeff Herman's Writer's Guide." I couldn't afford any others and as it turns out, I didn't need them anyway.
Having read "Getting Published" cover to cover with a highlighter in hand, a notepad nearby, using no previous contacts, and using the principles, suggestions and tips found in this simple, straighforward guide, I sent out my first batch of query letters to agents on November 12.
Requests for my proposal began to come in within DAYS and (the honest truth) I found a wonderful agent and sold my proposal to a MAJOR publisher *before* Christmas.
I share this information because I believe in equal access. It is my sincere hope tha people will use this informative book to gain the type of access thought to belong to only a relative few. It changed my mind 100%.
Reading "Getting Published" does not guarantee that you will get published, but it WILL make sure you have the all the information you need to take your best shot at it.
In hindsight, I am certain that I was incredibly blessed at that time and, thanks to "Getting Published", incredibly well-prepared. I cannot thank the authors enough for demystifying this process and making it available to *anyone* that has their heart set on Getting Published.
angel Kyodo williams,
Book Publication: Spring 2000
0Comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 13, 2012
I have bought and read several books on publishing in the last year, and this is the one I liked the best, by far.

The authors have a mountain of writing and publishing experience between them. They write in a fun, easy to read style. The book is entertaining while still managing to be packed full of useful information. They give detailed descriptions of every step involved in publishing. The instructions are easy to follow and extremely helpful. This book breaks everything down and makes it seem very managable. This was helpful, in my opinion, because the process of seeking publication was far more intimidating to me than actually writing the book itself.

The fifth edition of this book came out a few weeks after I bought the fourth edition - I liked it so well that I went ahead and bought the fifth edition too. The fifth edition is great - it adds more information about email and online submssions, ebooks, and all of the most recent changes in technology and publishing. It was well worth the purchase price of the duplicate copy.

This book is outstanding in every way.
VINE VOICEon June 9, 2008
If you're writing non-fiction, this book will probably be very helpful. But if you're interested in publishing a novel, you'll probably be left wanting. This is not to say the authors don't cover publishing fiction, just that it's neither their expertise nor their focus. It's like a restaurant meal where the mashed potatoes were great, but the meat just wasn't very flavorful - it's just not satisfying.

The authors, both who've worked as editors, one who seems to have published a number of books on miscellaneous and sundry topics and the other who has worked as an agent, give lots of good advice on how the publishing business works and who the various people are that you might deal with. They tell you what it's like to be an editor and how you should treat them, and ways to improve your chances of being published. They suggest methods for doing market research and coming up with topics that might fill a book. Also covered are the benefits of using an agent and ways to publicize your book. They even include a CD in the latest edition with sample proposals and query letters which follow the generally accepted formats in the business.

And yes, they try to work fiction and its nuances into the text, but it almost always feels like an afterthought and often seems a bit confusing. Most of the examples given apply mainly to non-fiction, such as establishing yourself as an expert in your field beforehand by giving interviews or writing for your local paper. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but by the end of the book I felt pretty disappointed. There is some really helpful information here, but it's just not targeted at publishing fiction.
on February 18, 2018
Maybe this would work better for a nonfiction writer, but for a fiction writer most of it comes off as unhelpful.
on September 4, 2009
For some time I have had an insatiable desire to write, but did not know how to get into the market. Turns out, there are some definite protocol for contacting agents. Just calling them up doesn't work no matter how nice you are. Every time I buy a book I worry that it's not the best. Well, this is the first one I've read on publishing and a few things confirmed to me that I made a wise purchase. First, it was easily written so anyone could understand. I'm not an idiot but I knew absolutely nothing about the publishing process and I believe that now I could discuss it with just about anyone on an intelligent level. Second, it's an easy and very enjoyable read. I couldn't put it down as it is loaded with encouragement but also reality checks to get you going. Third, as I read independent articles on the publishing world the facts from the book were confirmed. If you're just getting started, this is a wonderfully comprehensive guide as it will get you published and it will even help you learn how to handle the business long thereafter.
on November 14, 2017
The Guide doesn’t make any promises — this is not a “get rich quick” scam — but its tone is consistently encouraging. If you’re thinking of writing a book reading this will let you know what you’re about to get in to.
on November 23, 2012
I'm not a published author, but I hope to be one. This book isn't a magic key into the Land of Publishers, but it is a fairly good travel guide. My confidence was increased by the book's straightforward explanation of how to craft a non-fiction proposal and what to expect once your proposal is finished. I'm grateful for the guidance. This book is particularly excellent in combination with Jeff Herman's guide to literary agents.
on March 25, 2016
Very helpful and honest in understanding the aspects of the world of publishing. Focused on traditional publishing and clear that the authors are not fans of self-publishing. If you are only interested in self-publishing I do not recommend.
on March 26, 2015
very helpful and everything you need to know to become a publisher.
on March 18, 2009
This book provides an excellent synopsis on the publishing world: how authors submit manuscripts, get agents, and the editing and marketing process. It was very informative and an easy read. I also read "The Idiot's Guide to Writing a Novel" after reading this book and I am glad I read "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Published" first as it was far more insightful on the entire publishing process. Highly recommended, even if you have no plans to ever write a book. It gives you a very good idea of what writers go through in order to get their ideas out to the world.