Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on September 15, 2016
I wish I had access to this book 14 years ago when I started my low sodium lifestyle. I would have considered it # 2 on my hit list. There are 307 recipes in 24 categories. Best of all is that none of them requires shopping for esoteric ingredients. You can find any of them at any standard supermarket. Throughout the book "Salternatives" give you good suggestions for seasoning food items. There are many definitions for food items that may not be too common (e.g. Italian, Spanish, etc.) Also "Pinch of Sage" notes give you cooking tips related to a recipe, but can apply to others. There are 35 tips on seasonings and over 150 tips on cooking, flavoring, etc. throughout the book. The index is very detailed and helps you find everything. The chapter on "Classic Condiments" has recipes for common condiments but too often only come off the supermarket shelf loaded with salt. Also a chapter has recipes for seasoning blends, etc. Here are ways to make your own. In addition to main entrées there are snacks, relishes, desserts, etc. Nothing is left out. Diabetics and low fat dieters can also find what they need often with only a little modification. Each recipe gives you the calorie and sodium count. Each chapter has an introduction that adds up to a whole lot of nutrition education. Even vegetarians can find something for their needs plus they are low sodium. Many recipes will introduce you to not so common combinations that will open your palette to new and pleasing eating experiences. For instance you might find the "Caraway-Beet Relish" appealing especially if you like caraway like I do. You will really like the chapter on salad dressings - all 16 of them! The "Lemon Cod Packets" may introduce you to a different way to prepare all kinds of foods. The "Tilapia Florentine" is a great way to prepare a type of catfish from Viet Nam that is both low cost (about 4 to 5.99 per lb. here in Cincinnati, and probably the lowest sodium fish you can find. Get the idea? Here is one "Plum Delicious Chicken" is a 43.8 mg. of sodium per serving! If you like plums (prunes) you will love this recipe! Get it you will not regret it!
on June 1, 2012
After my husband suffered a stroke due to hypertension, doctors advised him to change his diet and find one that helped to lower blood pressure and improve heart health. In my search for helpful books about the DASH diet, I was particularly drawn to "DASH Diet Cooking" by Deirdre Rawlings. The goal of the DASH diet is to help people lower and control blood pressure and to promote heart health. I especially like this book because it has 160 great recipes. This book has more recipes than any others on the market plus the author, a clinical nutritionist, designed them with full knowledge on how to address hypertension and cardiovascular disease. I highly recommend this book to individuals whose goal is to eat and cook healthy meals.
on May 7, 2012
This is quite the book....Full of amazing recipies. I already consume a lot of the foods in this book but was getting bored of my own versions...This has helped me expand the possibilities of creating better meals for myself and family. Anyone who wants to enjoy foods that they thought was a no-no on their own diet or diet changes will enjoy some newfound meals and sides that can be enjoyed again. There is a high nutrition factor in this book and im always looking for more nutrient dense foods to enjoy. Im going to be giving birth soon and I am very confident that this book will give me the guidelines to stay healthy for me and baby, brestfeeding and able to help me loose some weight. I highly recommend this book or any books by this author!!!
on January 20, 2013
My primary care Dr. recommended the Dash Eating Plan and I have had good results with it. It is easy to follow since you do not have to count ANYTHING....not calories, not points, not carbs, not grams of sugar....just eat lots of fresh veggies and stay away from the processed foods. It is working.
on November 7, 2012
i bought this book to go with another dash diet book and it is great. i find it helpful in my journey. the recipes are easy and fun to make. the information makes it
a simple plan. no heavy duty restrictions. i have told others about this book as well.
on July 29, 2012
I've been following Deidre Rawlings on facebook for a while now and decided to finally get her book. I don't really like to cook, but these recipes are turning out to to be fun! Thanks!
on June 28, 2013
the book was not as simple to understand as much as i thought,it gave menus that most people would find difficult to prepare,however it did have some valuable pointers.
on August 5, 2013
I got this because my dr. recommended this diet for me. It is practical and easy to follow. Not exotic foods that are hard to find in a normal grocery store.
on July 3, 2013
Good information was provided in the book some good recipes easy to follow.
I have not started using them but have looked thru the book getting ready.
on March 25, 2013
I loved this book and will surely use this book to cook for my family. Thanks a million.I loved this book.