Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 94 reviews
on October 12, 2012
I won;t repeat all of the glowing and positive comments that have already been written but suffice to say I concur wholeheartedly.
I do wish to make comments about two of the recipes that really changed my skin and face -dramatically.
I suffer from a condition that causes me to have dry,rough skin and living in a dry arid area with the recent heat waves just made matters worse. That was until I decided to try making my own products. After several disasters with recipes from online and a few books I stumbled upon The Idiots Guide and I just can't say enoug good things about it.
The Thick and Luscious Body Butter has transformed my dry skin into soft and supple skin that almost feels dewy it is so moist. There is a slightly oil feel immediately after application but this quickly absorbs into the skin. I use it in the mornings and after my evenin showers and look forward to how soft my skin feels after application.
I was very, very reluctant to try any of the facial recipes as 99% of the time I get rashes, irritation and major clogged pores from darn near every brand of face creams whether they be cheap, expensive or used as part of a spa facial. But I was so pleased with the Body Butter and it was so easy to make I figured I would give it a try.
I decided to try the Extreme Facial Creme as it was recommended for dryest of skins which is what I have as I have been unable to find a proper facial creme for years now. For the first time ever my facial skin is normal and actaully very soft and smooth. Not once did I break out or get a rash like I usually do from over the counter or spa caliber cremes. I realized later that I had used too much of the oils but despite this fact I didn't break out with tons of clogged pores and that is because, I believe, the oils the recipe calls for are some of the finest and best suited for skin care.
Whether you are a fan or natural products or not (I was not particulary inclined towards natural - I just wanted something that finally worked!) this book is for you. I had horrible skin and now I don't. I am a horrible cook but the recipes were easy to follow and the ingredients all available here on amazaon. I will never use anything on my face and body skin other than the two recipes I have gotten from this book - the work and work well. I look forward to trying other recipes but if I don't these 2 recipes alone are worth the price of the bbook.
on September 5, 2013
I have made a few of the recipes in this book, and everything has turned out well. I am not kidding when I say I have tossed my Olay moisturizers, and a number of other beauty products. I now realize that when commercial products include "special ingredients" like exotic oils and extracts, the ratio is so low that the effects are often negligible. When you make your own products, you know exactly what is in it, and you can easily research why you should consider using certain ingredients.

For some of the unfamiliar ingredients, like emulsifying wax, just research them. You can find these ingredients easily on Amazon. I was shocked when the facial moisturizer I made actually looked like the cover on the book. Works great, non-greasy, smells nice, and costs much less than one jar of Regenerist. I am not as young as I used to be, so I need every advantage I can get :-) I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

One last comment: I thought I would need to invest in an emulsion(stick) blender for some of the recipes, but was not happy about the additional cost. I found that a regular hand blender worked quickly and was just as easy to clean up.

Update: One last comment, yeah right! It's October, and I've been pleasantly surprised that my homemade products didn't need any preservatives. My facial and hand moisturizers, made in March, have not "expired" - what little is left still smells great, and have shown no separation, deterioration, or spoilage of any sort. They leave my skin feeling as nourished as they did when they were made 6 months ago. Still giving this book 5-stars.
on April 10, 2014
I cut off all of my permed hair and decided to go natural. In doing so I have recently started my venture into natural hair care and body lotion products. I'm so excited and I truly love it. But I have had to do a lot of research to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. Especially if I want to know what I'm talking about when I discuss it with other people or potential clientele. So I ALMOST became discouraged when I read the post below.

On December 8, 2011 Merryn L. Oliverira wrote: "but then it baffles me why the don't recommend preservatives that are free of these chemicals. Instead, they copout and state to use a preservative "per manufacturer recommendations". If you are going to tell me how to make something tell me what preservative you recommend."

NOW...initially upon reading this I marked it as helpful, but after pulling up my Kindle version of the book and researching it, I refreshed my screen and marked it unhelpful because the book does provide the information about preservatives. For example it states Anhydrous (which means water free) preservatives are used in formulations such as simple body butters consisting of butters whipped with oils only. Even if it doesn't tell you what Anhydrous preservatives are there is GOOGLE. Even for those who don't own a computer in this day and age I don't know a public library that doesn't have one available for use/research. She owns a business, yet she has still shared SO much! Now it only sounds like you're saying tell me EXACTLY what you've used in all of your store products so I can make them too. Though it IS her intention that you are able to make them, it would be senseless for her to give away all of her secrets, otherwise she may as well fold her business. Because let's face it, what company does that! In that respect she has basically told you how to go about finding the answer, but leaving it up to you to choose that or those particular ingredients. Its what will or can make the difference between her products and any of yours (a.k.a. - any of her competitors). Maybe there are other books that can assist you with this matter. She did complete a 2nd, more up to date guide for a very inexpensive price. And who knows, maybe she felt even though its the idiots guide, in today's market you really have to be an idiot to go that far (reveal trade secrets). But based on the reading I've done so far this book is extremely helpful and a definite must have. HERE ARE SOME LINKS REGARDING PRESERVATIVES: [...]
Alyssa C. also replied with good information: There are substitutions for TKB's discontinued POP micas -- just not at TKB. This website is invaluable in finding alternatives: [...] And as for the "Manganese Violet" isn't a typo, its a lab-created violet oxide that has been discontinued by TKB but can be found on other online sites: [...]I do agree I didn't like that she used so much talc but there are still "natural" mineral makeup makers that use it so maybe that's the direction she decided to go as well.
on February 4, 2014
Well, this book provides long lists of definitions and supplies needed, many of which are unfamiliar to the beginner (or "the Complete Idiot") You have to go halfway through the book to find the recipes and processes to make beauty products. It would also be helpful if it included places where one could begin to look for the many obscure ingredients used in the recipes. I live in a small town, and believe me, many of these items aren't going to be on the shelf in my local stores...... I will probably make a few of the bath and skin products, but most of this is a bit too much for me. It seems to be aimed at those who are planning to devote a great deal of time (and probably money...) to stockpile a wide ranging supply of homemade products. If this is you, this book will give you a comprehensive plan for doing so.
on March 29, 2014
I purchased this book to use with a mineral makeup kit I ordered from TKB trading so, while I've read through the entire book, and the formulas look solid, I've only played around with the makeup recipes. They're great! I started with the foundations, and have never made mineral makeup before. The formulas were easy to understand and came together very well. My favorite foundation base was the full coverage- really nice, but all are great and easy to mix. All the foundation color grinds make lovely, natural-toned shades. There is a wide variety of neutral, warm and cool shades. (I have a light/med olive skin tone, firmly in the neutral category, and made shades with sand, olive and bronze that worked great for me.) I've also made very blush in the book. Some of the shades that used only oxide colors came out weird/not what I expected, so I need to go back and figure out why. (Two shades, I think.) The rest were a total success on the first try. I'm now ready to try some eye shadows.

While it is true that the book uses mainly supplies from TKB trading, my research show that they have the best prices anyway, and everything that the recipes call for was sold by TKB as of 2014, so no issues there for me.

One thing to note- the recipes are written by weight, while sifter jars actually don't hold near that. Basically, if you cut each recipe down by a third, it will be about right to fit a 30 gram sifter jar.

I had a LOT of fun with this book. While I know that this info is out there if you search, paying a mere 8 bucks to have it all right there was totally worth it to me.
on November 13, 2012
I literally could not put this book down. I own a mobile spa company that brings upscale spa services to clients with limited or restricted mobility at their homes, nursing facilities, or hospitals. I've been spending weeks researching and compiling recipes for making my own manicure & pedicure products for my clients (many of whom are elderly, sick, and bedridden). I thought it would be something fun and unique that my clients would really enjoy. This book helped me out immensely and saved me so much time. I'm not interested in making any of the makeup or facial products at the moment, but this book gave me the last bit of knowledge I needed to create great scrubs, lotions, body butters, soaks, bath bombs, cracked heel balms, cuticle creams, and cuticle oils. Now I can alter recipes to suit my clientele's unique needs. I now feel much more confident about formulating my own products!
on August 27, 2013
This guide has 277pgs full of products you can make at home with a little investment of time and money. Body butters and oils, clays, masks and peels, facial creams, cleansers, exfolliants, balms, toners, scrubs, teas, bombs, powders, foundations, concealers, blushes, bronzers, eye shadows, blush, lip balms, lip sticks, after shaves, shaving creams, toothpaste, toothpowder, hair conditioners, and much more. I can't wait to try out some of these recipes. They include "Pretty Pointers," which give you hints and "In The Mirror," which gives you important information about certain aspects of the products used or recipes given. "The Least You Need To Know" is a helpful addition to each chapter that will give pertinent help and cautions. This is an excellent product.
on May 19, 2014
I have been making lotions, creams, and lip balms for 15 years. I would get a "recipe" and make it. None of my earlier recipes had a preservative in it. Only Vitamin E which is a natural preservative but the shelf life for these creams is about 2-3 weeks. I got THE COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE TO MAKING NATURAL BEAUTY PRODUCTS and have made many of the recipes. They all call for a preservative, but they are more natural than the store bought creams and the shelf life is much longer than vitamin E. The author explains what each oil is used for AND the shelf life of the oils...and they are MANY oils to choose from, some i haven't heard of. The book has great tips and would be a great addition to the libraries of all lotion makers-beginner to advanced.
on March 17, 2011
This is by far the best book on cosmetic making that I have read. I was looking for a 'natural' way of making my own cosmetics that had shelf life just in case I wanted to start selling the product. I can't wait to order my supplies. I have been making cosmetics of natural skin care for many years and this is the best book I stumbled upon. And now there is a company that has a complete kit that goes with this book. Thanks for a great, easy to follow, complete cosmetic DIY.
on May 15, 2013
Don't know where to start. I wanted to make natural products for me and the few ladies in my family and read good reviews about this book. They were all true, the recipes are phenomenal and so is the guide and tips. I mean, this book teaches you how to make pretty much everything from butters to make up to men's products.

Sanitizing your equipment, etc. Totally worth it. If I had to buy this book again, I would definitely do so. Do not regret purchasing.

Hope this review helps.