Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 31 reviews
on April 30, 2011
I am a web designer who has done work for Fortune 1000, non-profs, and govt, but I have little experience with small e-commerce sites, so I thought this book might be helpful.

This book is written at a *very* basic level, a small step up from explaining what a website or search engine is. Much of it is common sense, but there are some pretty good points that not everyone will know. So on that level, I think its good for beginners who have no experience with web development or even how to run a business.

What concerned me was that because the author is not actually in the field of web development, he seems to just "improvise" some info. This book contains some incorrect information and there are some issues with the author's own websites.
-The author's websites should be models of well designed e-commerce sites. They are "fine" and functional, but there are some design and usability issues. forcopywritersonly.com does not look professionally designed, has some basic usability issues such as lack of breadcrumbs, nav states not staying on at the tertiary level, an inconsistent use of text links and button links, blog missing most common blog functionality, use of the word "click here" which is seen as a big faux pas in the industry, etc. I just showed my girlfriend forgraphicdesignersonly.com (his second site), and told her the guy on the homepage says he is a graphic designer. Her response was, "Are you f-ing kidding me?" It doesnt look professional at all despite the author saying he is a "Registered Graphic Designer" (NEVER heard of such a thing).
-He defines terms he says are common in the industry that just arent. "Beta site" is a not a demo site used by designers, it is a site used for web applications before they are done. I have never heard a designer use that term. We might call them staging sites or testing sites. We don't use the term "masthead". The author must be thinking of magazines. We call them headers or banners. On page 105, he says, "This is tricky because most internet web browsers, like Foxfire.." The author must be thinking of Firefox. Typo perhaps, but at the level this book is written, one assumes the readers havent heard of these different web browsers.
-He mentions applications or services that are not common or forgets some common ones. For example, he says Dreamweaver and Microsoft Expression are "used by most professional designers". Dreamweaver, yes. The second I have never seen used ever (and I have worked lots of places). When he mentions email marketing software, he forgets the number one most popular, MagnetMail (and yes, it was big at time of publication too).
-When talking about web development, he only talks about web design, the word information architecture never appears and that is a big part of it too.
-His lists of websites to consult or applications to use that exist throughout the book are deceptively long. Usually the first couple are commonly used and the next 12 or seem to be just the result of the author doing a web search and entering the results into his book w/o actually knowing anything about them.

Anyway, again, I wouldnt completely discount this book because it has some pointers on promoting your business and such, but there have to be other books out there written by professionals in the industry (people who work at reputable web development or PR firms) who really know what they are talking about.
88 comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2010
This is a practical and informative introduction to the world of web-based business. The few other books I have read on the subject were filled with a pie-in-the-sky-get-rich-quick orientation and this has none of that. Just a realistic examination of the subjects that you need to address to get a web-based business off the ground.
on July 5, 2014
Easily one of the most POWERFUL, thorough and encouraging reads for all aspiring and current entrepreneurs, including you. Every page contains incredible and easy-to-do actions for creating a world-class web-based business. You'll love the MANY free resources listed to access and take your company to the top. Every page brings value to your website, customer service and company! Start this book today by taking great notes, sharing this book with your friends, co-founders, and colleagues, and applying the many brilliant tips and tricks to creating a lasting, world-class company. ENJOY
on June 13, 2013
I'm only half way through reading this book but notice myself constantly taking notes, using the links, and lots of highlighting. I wish all books were this resourceful! I will definitely be looking for more books from this author. It is so well written and I love the way he tells the why or "why not's" Everything in this book has been a god send and I can't wait to finish this. If you are looking for a great resource on starting a web-based business, this is worth every penny. Thanks so much to this author!! R. Holland
on April 15, 2011
I am totally in love with this book! I can't stop reading it! Very informative, detailed, and guiding. I received this book today and am a quarter through the book and just started reading 2 hours ago!!! I am constantly taking notes and eager to read what is on the next page. Rare you learn a lesson on your first product. Helps me learn about things everybody should know running a busy, uses a numerous amount of logical examples, takes you in a step by step cautious way to learning how to sell etc. However get this book asap!!!!!
on April 29, 2013
After weeks of readings just managed to finished 1/5. A solid book that covered many aspects of marketing.
Is good for newbies and those adventurous to plunge in to know more on marketing.
I give a rating of 5 stars -
on August 5, 2012
I recommend this book to any aspiring web business owner. Steve Slaunwhite has covered all the topics one needs to think about for building a strong web business. He explains the concepts in a simple way that it is so easy to follow - the reference websites are the biggest sources for me!
I will buy any book from Steve and highly recommend this one
on November 23, 2010
It's nice to read a book that delivers the contents of what it boasts about on the back cover. This book was very complete. The most beneficial part I got out of it were the tons of online resources to go to for assistance on the various subjects. There are many short and sweet chapters for easy reading. It will be a good reference tool down the road. It was very well written and organized.
on October 3, 2013
This is an informative book. It has lots of good information for the novice and probably some useful ideas for the seasoned web business person too. Look at the table of contents and you will surely see something you never even thought of before that you can implement.
on June 18, 2015
It help some, on information, on what I needed for and how to start my business on the Web.