- Paperback: 1500 pages
- Publisher: Prentice Hall PTR; 5 edition (May 12, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0131017667
- ISBN-13: 978-0131017665
- Product Dimensions: 7.4 x 2.8 x 9.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 5 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 10 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4,369,931 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Complete Java Training Course (5th Edition) 5th Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
This month's Book With Buzz: "The Lying Game" by Ruth Ware
From the instant New York Times bestselling author of blockbuster thrillers "In a Dark, Dark Wood" and "The Woman in Cabin 10" comes Ruth Ware’s chilling new novel, "The Lying Game." See more
From the Back Cover
Master Java development with this award-winning multimedia CD-ROM and book package!
Introducing Web programming with servlets, JSP™, and JDBC™, and OOD with UML and Design Patterns
- Master today’s key Java development skills hands on, with real programs and expert instruction from world-renowned authors and corporate trainers!
- Listen and learn as Deitel & Associates trainers and authors describe 219 programs (23,000+ lines of code) in 17+ hours of detailed audio instruction
- Coverage includes syntax, program control, object-oriented development, graphics, GUI development, exception handling, multithreading, files/streams, networking, multimedia, data structures, collections and more!
- Features a complete UML/OOD case study with in-depth coverage of object-oriented design, use case and class diagrams, association, composition—and even statechart, activity, sequence and collaboration diagrams!
- Includes the best-selling, 1,536-page Java text Java How to Program, Fifth Edition—in print and searchable electronic version on CD-ROM
Created by leading corporate trainers Deitel & Associates, Inc., this hands-on, interactive training course combines the world’s #1 Java training CD-ROM—The Java 2 Multimedia Cyber Classroom, Fifth Edition—and the leading Java textbook, Java How to Program, Fifth Edition. Start with basic syntax, then master flow, control, methods, arrays, objects, strings, graphics, GUI development, exceptions, multithreading, files/streams, networking, multimedia, data structures, collections and more. This new edition contains enhanced coverage of inheritance and polymorphism, NIO, Web development with JDBC™, servlets and JSP™. It also contains an end-to-end object-oriented design learning experience, fully updated for the latest UML™ standard. With its unique combination of live code, audio commentary and in-depth printed and online explanations, you’ll master Java faster than you ever thought possible!
- More than 17 hours of detailed audio instruction walks you through 219 complete, ready-to-run programs—23,000+ lines of live code you can load, run and adapt! Key code segments are highlighted in yellow.
- Test your knowledge with hundreds of interactive self-review questions and programming exercises.
- Get fast, in-depth answers from the fully searchable electronic copy of Java How to Program, Fifth Edition!
- Discover hundreds of tips and ideas for maximizing performance, interoperability and reusability—and for avoiding and troubleshooting problems!
The World’s #1 Introductory Java Developer’s Guide!
- Start-to-finish, 1,536-page guide to development with Java!
- Covers all this: application and applet development, Swing GUIs, event handling, Web/Internet programming with servlets, JSP and JDBC, object-oriented development, graphics/multimedia, networking, I/O, data structures, collections and more!
- Includes comprehensive object-oriented design case study using the newest version of the UML standard!
- Contains hundreds of tips and tricks for building more robust, reliable, portable, high-performance code
The authors can be contacted at: email@example.com—visit: www.deitel.com, www.prenhall.com/deitel and www.Informit.com/deitel
Register now for the Deitel® BUZZ online email newsletter at: www.deitel.com/newsletter/subscribe.html
Bonus 2nd CD-ROM contains SUN J2SE™ 1.4.1 Software Development Kit, Sun ONE Studio 4 Community Edition integrated development environment and more!
System RequirementsWindows® 98/NT 4/2000/XP
200 MB disk space
64 MB RAM
Sound card support
Raves for Deitel Development Books and Training Courses!
I recently purchased The Java Multimedia Cyber Classroom. I found this multimedia disc to be the best investment I ever made. This interactive way of presenting Java is awesome...if you have anything like this for other programs, I want to purchase all of them.
I’ve been working with Java for about a year and have worked through a number of books—including a book in preparation for the Sun Java Programmer’s Certification—but yours is the best so far, and I am only on Chapter 4. I’m talking about the 3rd edition of Java How to Program. I like everything about it: the tips, summaries, terminology, programming errors and good programming practices, and all the exercises. Your teaching style is recursive, and that is about the best compliment I know—I believe it is the best way to teach. With any luck, I will be ready for the test in a few months. So, thanks!
About the Author
Harvey M. Deitel is one of the world's leading computer science instructors and seminar presenters. Paul J. Deitel has taught programming at many of the world's leading companies. Together, they have authored numerous books and multimedia packages, and are principals of Deitel and Associates Inc., a leading global training and content-creation firm.
Top customer reviews
The book (and the CD), of course, has mistakes. I've covered them in my review on the book (I don't want to repeat myself here so check out that session here on amazon.com).
And the most important question: is this package worth its price when Core Java 3rd edition only costs you 64 bucks? Complicated question... Core Java 3rd edition is meant for 'Experienced Programmers', but I think even a beginner can understand most chapters, they're so damn well written. In comparison, Deitels' book is far too concise and does NOT cover most advanced features of the language - even the part on the I/O covers the OLD I/O library. If you take into account that Core Java discusses virtually EVERYTHING worth mentioning, this Deitel-book doesn't seem to be THAT good any more.
For reviewers that complained about the low sound quality - it's really bad, but still understandable, I've never had any comprehension problem (n.b. my native language isn't English).
To summarize, go for Core Java instead. It's much more comprehensive, covers much more advanced features of the language and is much cheaper. If you can't learn the basics of the language from that book, buy this one, too - and the CD as well (without the CD, this book is practically useless to beginners).
Having the text both in book format (for when I am not studying at my computer), as well as the fully searchable and interactive HTML format with multimedia contents and Internet links, is great; also, there are several software goodies that come with the package, such as the Tomcat server and the Sun ONE environment.
The self review exercises and assessment exams at the end of each chapter are a fun (and challenging, thinking of the Hanoi Tower now!) way to validate the understanding of the Java concepts one has just studied.
Finally, I think the first chapters are a clear introduction to general programming concepts for the less experienced reader, with plenty of samples, exercises and links to more information. Definitely recommended.
Not only was I not scared away by the exercises at the end of the chapters, I was actually challenged and pleased to find that I could do every coding exercise with the knowledge I had gained in that chapter.
It takes time and effort but it does work!
I have no prior programming experience. I highly recommend this book for any beginner.
This package includes the book Java How to Program 5th edition and the Java Multimedia Cyber Classroom. A highly interactive electronic version of the book that takes learning to the next level.