Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 9, 2017
I wouldn't recommend these volumes to those who remember the classic hardcovers with all the quaint drawings from Garth William which are NOT included here. I wish the advertisement would have pointed that out. I would not have purchased them. It's straight read of all the books.
197 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on December 27, 2016
I love these books, and revisiting them again after 30 years during the Christmas holidays has been a beautiful trip down memory lane. The only problem is that I'm in the middle of Little House on the Prairie and the book skips from page 148 back to 117, goes to 148 then on to page 181, meaning the entire middle section of the book is gone. What a bummer. And now it's too late to return it, of course. I hope you buy and enjoy these books for a lifetime, but if I were you, I'd check the pages when you receive the books so that you know you're getting all of the pages.
20 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 5, 2014
This set is printed in the USA. The "search inside this book" only shows two images, neither of which are from this particular set. I think the images might be from the gingham check set. The illistrations are in black and white, and the paper is a light gray, as you normally see in less expensive books.

I purchased this set new, through AMAZON PRIME; and for the money, it is well worth it. All nine books in beautifully colored covers. One day, it would be nice to see the books printed on quality paper; but the price would definitely go up. All things considered, I am happy with the purchase.

There is another box set, October 2004, which has full color illustrations, but is only a set of the first 5 books. I do not know what kind of paper the stories are printed on, but it is manufactured in China.

Hope this helps some of you who are trying to decide which set to buy.
39 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 13, 2017
This is the first in the Little House series, and what I find interesting about it is that it seems to be written from the perspective of a young child...her books "grow" with the reads. If reading as an adult, don't let the childlike writing discourage you from finishing the entire series. I loved them all as a child, and enjoy also reading them as an adult.
6 people found this helpful
on April 4, 2017
This book's text is exactly like the original. The quality is great. Pages are thick and glossy and the illustrations are bright and colored in. I recommend this book to every age!
review image
9 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on July 12, 2016
I grew up reading the Little House book series. I devoured every book as a child over and over and still have the original books from my childhood. I would immerse myself into the stories and found they really got my imagination going wild. They helped me hone my coping and empathy skills as a child, because the first person narrative is so well written, you feel you are part of the story. I truly felt each and every tragedy and triumph of the Ingalls family. I purchased this particular set as Salvation Army Angel Tree gift to offer a new generation the magical world of Laura Ingalls. The books are so beautifully written and offer a glimpse into an era of long ago.

I am actually purchasing this set again, to keep for myself, so I have a beautiful fresh set of books for my collection.
4 people found this helpful
on March 5, 2018
After having received this and then reading the negative reviews, I guess I was lucky that my set was actually complete and had no missing covers or writing on them. However, the print quality is VERY poor. Though every page is readable some of the print is pushed so far up the page that some of the wonderful illustrations are cut off at the top. And it's not just in one book, but in many of them. In fact one of the books has the misaligned print for the entire book. Again, still readable but incredibly distracting and annoying. I am happy to have the set but my goodness are these poorly made. If you have no other way of getting these books, this is an option, but don't set your expectations too high.
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
The full nine-book set is packaged in an attractive thin cardboard box to keep the set together. The books are the basic paperback editions with simple black-and-white drawings throughout. My daughter and I have really enjoyed reading these together. learning about the day-in-day out struggles and joys of 19th century life in the big woods, on the wagon trail, and on the midwestern prairie. She (6 years old) is captivated and in love with Laura and her life and family.

There are many other sets out there, but this was the best price that I could find for the complete set. What a bargain for the joys my daughter and I have had reading them together!
9 people found this helpful
on March 22, 2016
A Picture Says a Thousand Words!!!
I gave this set as a gift. She was very happy.
review image
18 people found this helpful
on November 15, 2017
I bought this book for my granddaughter who is a third-grader and a bookworm. I read this in third or fourth grade, along with the others available, with my best friend. We still keep in contact and still love Laura Ingalls Wilder. I've read the series a few times as an adult and still love it.

This edition is a special collectible one, printed on good quality paper with color pictures and with a sturdy cover that is shiny and colorful. I hope that this book can compete with 21st century superheroes, iPhone technology, and glitzy kids' TV shows to bring enjoyment and wonder to one little girl about another girl who lived in a different century. Very pleased with this purchase.
One person found this helpful