Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Complete Guide to Needlework
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on October 18, 2000
I actually bought this book in the mid 1980's and have usedit constantly since!
As the Embroidery Host for BellaOnline, you will understand that I look at lots of "how to" books. This one is one of the best of the bunch if you are looking for a general Needlework book.
This is not a small book - it is large and packed to the gills with information.
This information is beautifully and logically set out, with lots of stitch diagrams that are easy to follow.
The book also covers fabrics, thread, needles and just about everythingthing that you may want information about on Needlecraft.
One of the big plusses is the section on mounting your work, and the one on transferring patterns to fabric.
Buy it - you will not be dissapointed.
on October 21, 2003
This book is packed full of information - from projects, hints and tips, and techniques for creating your own designs. The best part: detailed embroidery stitch guides which guide you though each stitch with a combination of pictures (usually 6 per stitch) and instructions. While looking for a needlework instruction book, none of the other books could compare. Either they lacked a variety of stitches or they did not have enough pictures to serve as a self-teaching guide for a visual learner with little sewing experience. Although I was primarily interested in the embroidery section, I love that this book covers a breadth of needlework crafts to explore.
I keep a tightly pruned bookshelf - only purchasing and keeping books that I will refer to again and again. This book made the cut!
on March 27, 2000
I was so lucky to find this book! It's an older book and I was so afraid that I'd never find it in print, but here it was! It's the most complete crafts book I've ever seen. Lot's a photos, diagrams, examples, easy to follow. If you went into a craft shop and bought the small instruction books, you'd spend 10 times this just to gather all the information included in this book..yes, it's that good. Great for beginners and pros, everyone can find something.
on October 27, 2005
This book is just packed full of information of all kinds of needlework and is easy to read and understand.
I have been looking for a book that would be helpful in showing differents stitches in knitting and crocheting and found to my amazements that this book was just perfect. It not only showed crochet and knitting stitches, it had embroidery, needlepoints and more.
I have ordered two more books since I first ordered my book and found it so informative. I purchased one for my friend "Maria" and one for my daughter "Ann".
This volume lives up to the title. It is most definitely a very complete guide to needlework. The instructions are flawless, and the lovely presentation will encourage you to try new things and refresh old skills. The Complete Guide to Needlework would make a perfect gift for the crafter in your life, but be sure to buy another copy for yourself. It's just THAT GOOD!
on November 29, 2000
I keep lending my own copies of this book out, not having them returned, and buying new ones. Perhaps justice; my own first copy was borrowed from my stepmother and never returned. The book is a good, thorough introduction to all kinds of needlework, with enough material presented to take you well into each. The only gripe I have is that the projects are dated. I keep waiting for them to come up with a new edition with more contemporary project patterns; the irony is that by now the 70's are back in vogue and it may be that we'll all be raving over those dated projects once more!
If you only buy one needlework book, make it this one! You won't regret it.
on April 1, 1999
This book covers more types of needlework than any other book I have in my personal library. Whenever I need a resource, even something no longer in vogue I usually find some mention of it in this book. I recently taught a class in Huck embroidery and couldn't find anything on the subject until I looked in this book. It was very thorough with clear, concise instructions. This is a must have for every needleworkers personal library, stitching clubs or Guild.
on March 4, 2000
My mother bought me this book a couple of years ago, and though many of the patterns are outdated (unless you like those 70s brown and orange butterflies) the rest of the book is indispensible. I've learned everything I needed to know about embroidery from this book and I now teach classes. It also contains hard to find information on things like blackwork embroidery. Definetly an essential.
on February 11, 1997
This guide is invaluable for those of us who are beginners as well as for those that need a refresher course. It benefits the proficient as it shows many types of needlework patterns. I particularly enjoyed the chapter on knitting, for this type of needlework is where my interest lies most. It has pages of illustrations for particular pattern stitches with how to create the pattern yourself
on January 1, 2000
This is a great book for anyone who enjoys knitting, crocheting or any form of needlework. Great directions and color photos. I have the book and my mother just had to have one. You will enjoy this book for years to come.