- Series: Complete Photo Guide
- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Creative Publishing international; 1st edition (January 1, 2010)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1589234723
- ISBN-13: 978-1589234727
- Product Dimensions: 8.2 x 0.8 x 10.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 182 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #466,503 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet: *All You Need to Know to Crochet *The Essential Reference for Novice and Expert Crocheters *Comprehensive Guide ... Charts, and Photos for 200 Stitch Patterns Paperback – January 1, 2010
There is a newer edition of this item:
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Hubert, Margaret. The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet. c.272p. ISBN 978-1-58923-472-7. Creative Pub: Quayside. 2010. illus. index. pap. $24.99. CRAFTS
The latest in a continuing series of photo guides, this book features full-color photos of techniques with examples and practice projects. Veteran knitting and crochet teacher Hubert (Knit or Crochet: Have It Your Way) has dozens of stitch samples clearly pictured and charted. This guide will be useful for crafters beginning to experiment. -- Library Journal, February 15, 2010
About the Author
Margaret Hubert designs for yarn companies and book and magazine publishers including Crochet, Interweave Press, Quick and Easy Crochet, Crochet Fantasy, and Belle Armoire. She teaches at yarn shops, retreats, and national gatherings and rarely misses a national conference in the needle arts field. A world traveler, Margaret pays close attention to the fashions in Europe and spots style trends as they hit New York. She is equally as passionate about knitting and crochet, and can design patterns for either, in any size or shape. Among her specialties, she is a master at free-form crochet. She is the author of 11 other books including five books in our Hooked series, Knits for Men, Plus Size Crochet, and Knit or Crochet—Have It Your Way.
Top customer reviews
I consider myself an intermediate crocheter. This book provides new inspiration to challenge myself to explore more intricate projects and different types of crochet. The book is a comprehensive guide to so many types of crochet, including various lace techniques and freeform crochet.
Depending on the person, this many not be the book for an absolute new beginner. While there are instructions for the basics, the rest may be overwhelming. I suggest you first try your hand at a little crocher, then jump into this book for inspiration.
Note: While the book has instructions for a number of completed projects as examples, its main focus is techniques. It's up to you to apply the techniques to your designs. This is not something I've done in the past, but it's where I want to challenge myself to go.
For the price, this book is an absolutely incredible value. I expect to use this book as a reference for a long time to come.
1. There are no instructions on how to weave in ends except a little for motifs.
2. There is only one method shown for decreasing rows - the Invisible Decrease is not shown.
3. The "No-Chain Foundation for Single Crochet" has a mistake ("insert hook under the top 2 loops of the 2nd chain" should read, "insert hook hook under the top 2 loops of the 2nd chain from hook"; this is the common crochet terminology and it is correct in the "No-Chain Double Crochet" instructions). The instructions and photos were not helpful to me at all...I had to go online to get clearer instructions.
4. The Magic Ring is not shown in the very brief, one page explanation of working in the round.
5. The pocket section did not even show the pocket lining described. Only two photos here.
6. The book cover claims to be, "Packed with Hundreds of Tips and Ideas". I found almost no tips in this book...only very basic and incomplete information for a very few techniques.
8. Not much info on changing colors.
8. The projects are not detailed enough in the Finishing Explanations...no photos of pinning, sewing seams (and no recommendation of which method to use in sewing the seams), or weaving in ends.
9. I expected more tips and techniques based on the book description. I need to get a tips and techniques book now and/or print out information from the internet. I was hoping for content similar to The Crochet Answer Book (Eckman) but with color photos.
What I like about the book:
1. Colorful, pretty, and clear photos of many different stitches, including several Tunisian (afghan) stitches and the interesting-looking Polish Star.
2. Diagrams accompany each stitch.
3. The Denim Ruffle Bag looks cute.
4. Has several different Tunisian Stitches.
I do think this would be okay for beginners who want to try different stitches and not be presented with lots of tips for technique options. So, again, it is a nice resource for stitches.
There are examples showing completed projects like afghans, motifs, shawls, clothes, etc. The colors are beautiful and up-to-date with current colors and textures. You cannot beat Amazon's price for this book having 272 pages of color examples. This book has lots of inspiration and reference for the more than beginner, intermediate and experienced crocheters as well as being a good reference book for a beginner to grow into and experiment. It's so helpful having a color photo, stitch diagram and instructions with each example.
The following is a list of the chapters to give you an idea of how much is in this book:
Crochet Hooks and Other Tools
Details and Finishing Techniques
Bobbles, Popcorns and Puffs
Edgings and Trims
SPECIALTY CROCHET METHODS
One Piece, Top Down
This would make a great gift for the crocheter in your life. I was just browsing on Amazon for crochet books when I found this book. I couldn't be happier.
Most recent customer reviews
I thought I would try to make the first project in the book, the "Denim Ruffle...Read more