Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on October 18, 2013
Stephen White rarely, if ever, disappoints. This is an enjoyable thriller, good plot, great characters and a wonderful sense of place. I feel as if I know Boulder, CO, as well as my own city, and I have never been there. The psychology is solid, not at all "pop," something I treasure as a psychologist myself. So often therapy is betrayed in ways that make me cringe. Highly recommend this book as a good read.
on August 22, 2013
Let me start by saying that I've always enjoyed this series, but I've also always found the series to be uneven in pacing. Some books are excellent and every character is detailed enough for a stand alone novel. Others are so cluttered with miscellaneous and misleading details and subplots that it's hard to imagine it's the same author writing these books. The last two books in the series tie up a lot of loose threads, but much is left unanswered. Like life, I guess.

Highlights: Sam's growth as a character is awesome. Really, he has to be one of the best sidekicks in mystery fiction. Alan's regression to a less mature, less grounded, less honest, less confident man is another highlight. I like the fact that the sins of previous books come back with no easy answers. It's rare for an author to risk making a main character (and in this book, a few main characters) exhibit so many startlingly bad qualities. I liked the honesty in that. Grief brings out the best in just about no one. Certainly no one in this series.

Lowlights: Some huge issues are left unresolved. Without giving away too much, there is a rushed quality to some big questions that are never really answered. Of course, not all questions can be answered, but this book leaves a lot unanswered. It's particularly unsatisfying when one of the characters, central to the last book, is in and out in less than a chapter. The therapeutic relationships are sparsely detailed here (a nice change actually), but a little more detail would have fleshed out some of the bigger plot holes. I can't say more without spoiling the ending, but the book ends on a discordant note. One huge issue is solved, probably permanently with one conversation, so the ending feels dishonest. On the other hand, it ends much like the series started- with a good friend pointing out one of Alan's biggest flaws. That felt right.

Perhaps in a few years, the author will reconsider closing this door entirely and maybe write a stand alone novel featuring some of the characters introduced here and picking up the pieces of a few of the main characters. I'd like to revisit all of these characters in two or three years to see how they evolved.
17 people found this helpful
on April 27, 2014
I should say first this is sort of a "spoiler" review.

Because this was the ending of the series, I expected more. There is no closure-his (Dr. Gregory's) bratty children are still at risk; his (awful) wife has been sullied; his friend may or may not BE his friend. It was just unsatisfactory all the way around. I don't see how he can have the courage to go on with his life (he doesn't have much of one left!). I have enjoyed all of the previous books but I really didn't enjoy this one. It was also draggy at times. It seems like none of the characters stayed in "character" except Dr. Gregory.....
on October 5, 2013
I'm tired of paying for novels by 'outstanding' Authors only to wonder at the end, was there a ghost writer? Is it just about the money? The consumer deserves better! Now I read consumer reviews before I purchase. Stephen White definitely wrote this book! I am sad to know this is the end of the series but what a riveting end. Stephen White has done justice not only to himself but to the reader. Buy it!
on March 5, 2016
I have read many od the previous books in the series. This was the last and, in my opinion, it changed most of the characters for the worse. And, since it's the last book, the ending left you hanging. It was well written but jt wasn't to my taste.
on September 16, 2013
I am in mourning for the end of this series, why Stephen White has chosen to end it is beyond me.
After reading all the books in the series, this is like a friend dying. I was really looking forward to the next one, when I read the epilogue.
All I want to say to Stephen White is relent and contiue!
on December 21, 2013
I'm sorry to see this series end and I was bit disappointed in the final book. It seemed to try too hard to bring in characters from earlier books to end their "stories." I did not like the fact that it ended with something of a cliff hanger that will never be resolved...
on February 16, 2016
I've read his books for years and I like the stories. The only thing I don't care for is that to the main character everything is a worry. There are major devastating occurrences in the story/stories, but the worry about everything becomes a little tedious.
on September 11, 2013
From the postscript to the book, it sounds like this is Mr. White's last tale with Dr. Gregory. I will miss them a lot. I have been a loyal reader from the very beginning. Gregory has faced many moral and ethical questions as a psychologist--and none more so than the last two books of the series. How would you or I react to these situations?
on December 28, 2014
Just OK. For a final novel to the series, I expected more of a definitive ending. To me, the author left it wide open for a continuation of the series. Too many subplots to count, it was like all the characters we thought we knew in the previous books were not who they appeared to be.