Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SELF Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 25, 2011
I'm a current subscriber and thought I'd get the Self App and get the magazine so I can read it on my Kindle Fire when I'm at the doctor, etc. The registration process was annoying. You had to enter your magazine info, then your email and create a password, and you also have subscribe to self.com and create username and password there and have your email registered there in order to get the magazine. Both passwords have to match, which I wasn't aware of. Had to email, then call Self to get this straightened out.

Then, after signing in, I was able to download the December issue of the magazine. The download process stopped partway through, but then finally finished. Sat down to read it later, and stupid me, but I didn't realize that you have to have wi-fi connected and be on the internet, and sign in to Self in order to read the magazine. This defeats my purpose of being able to read it on my Kindle anywhere. Can't read it unless I'm somewhere with a wi-fi connection.

This was my first magazine I attempted to get the digital copy of. If all of them have to use a wi-fi connection in order to read them, I'm going to be really sad... but like I said before, maybe I'm just stupid and should have known that.

Anyways, I think I'll just continue reading my hard copy of the mag and forget about this version. The digital copy looked ok, but it's too much bother for me....

REVISED 1/15/12: Thanks to those of you who pointed out that I didn't need a wi-fi connection to read the magazine. When I click on the app on my Kindle Fire I get a pop up message "can't access library - not connected to internet", so I wrongly assumed that I couldn't read the mag without being on the internet. All I did was click "ok" on the pop up and I'm able to read the magazine. I guess if I'm this ignorant, I shouldn't be leaving reviews...Anyway, I increased my rating to 4 stars, and although it kind of takes a little long to download an issue, I like it now!!!
33 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
It's odd that whenever I try to login it always fails on the first attempt but it works on the 2nd attempt every single time. This is a VERY minor problem other than that, this app works perfectly fine. I have the printed subscription so I get the digital for free. I have yet to find anything wrong to the point where it's hard to use. I like being able to click and view the videos of the exercises in the magazine. It's really helpful so that you know that you have the proper form when you workout.
on December 22, 2011
I like reading magazines when I have a few minutes of down time. I always have my kindle fire with me so this is a nice way to read magazines. I like Self magazine. It has a nice combination of articles, recipes and advertisements. The app itself is pretty cool. You can click links to learn more or just skip on to the next page.

**Update** I wanted to add I am not a subscriber to the print magazine. I have read reviews that say they had trouble registering. I didn't have any trouble at all. Maybe because I was brand new to Self? Not sure but I only had to put in my name address..usual stuff. Very easy and quick.
on January 13, 2012
we have subscribed to self for a long time now with the kindle our subscription transfered how great is that... then there are interactive parts to the magazine. coool .... downloading the magazine takes a bit of storage though... for the kindle away from the cloud this is annoying
on April 24, 2013
Got it for my wife's K-8.9HD. She travels for business so we have her Mag-scrips as apps. Works well just as most of the K-Fire apps.
on June 18, 2012
why is it taking so long for the next issue. its already the over halfway through june and still no july issue. i would think that since the paper version has been out for a while that the digital issue would be no later than halfway through the month.
on April 11, 2012
I have been a Self subscriber for years, so I was very excited to find out that I could read them on my Fire. The magazines take forever to download, but once you get through that everything is great. You get a lot more content than you do in the print version. You can also recycle your print editions, and not have to worry about wanting to reread the beauty tips or trying to remember if you pulled out all the exercise moves you wanted to try.
on January 18, 2012
I have subscribed to SELF for 3 years and just downloaded this app for my kindle fire. Amazing! I no longer have to search for vids on how to perform exercises, have cooked one dinner using the recipes, and like not having to dig through my stack to find the most recent one. It's a little slow downloading and sign up was a pain but I would def say worth it.
on January 27, 2013
I wanted a fun and attractive case that could protect the kindle and be useful and pretty. I was not disapointed. The case is easy to see and the color makes it my own. I like that you can flip the case to make it into a stand as well.
on June 8, 2013
I like this ap. It is a convenient way to view Self Magazine. The only downside is that sometimes the ap does not work when you are not on WIFI. Otherwise, I would say it is pretty good.