Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 79 reviews
Back in the days of film photgraphy I purchased a SLR camera, but since I had little money to spend I never bought a lot of accessories for it other than a tripod and a flash. After a while carrying the camera around became burdensome when traveling and going to certain events because of its weight and getting through crowds with it. I eventually went to a compact 35 mm camera with a zoom lens that took excellent pictures without the bulk. Compact digital camera predated DSLRs by almost a decade. I was an early adopter of digital photography and have owned many different brands and sizes of digital cameras in the meantime. I was, however, most annoyed when these cameras suddenly began to be looked at with disdain by the photographic community as being inadequate and not for the serious photographer with the rise of DSLRs. There is a certain amount of snobery in photography circles that a person must own one of these behemoths for their pictures to be worth looking at. I actually dropped my subscription to a certain digital photo magazine because of this prevailing attitude. I do not want a DSLR because I do not want to be burdened by carrying a large camera bag everywhere, fiddling with manual settings, and needing to purchase a variety of very expensive lenses and accessories. I like this book because it validates that good pictures can be taken with a compact digital camera, ones that rival DSLRs. Although I have been using these cameras for years the book was a good read for me because it reinforced some of the basic rules of photography and made me aware of the different functions of my camera that I'd not explored. Although slightly dated (I think a 2nd edition is order at this point) the information is still relevant in the majority of cases. The book is good for a beginner as it explains things clearly without a lot of photographic jargon, and also good for the experienced compact digital camera shooter in that the pictures in the book are inspirational and it reminds one of things one can do and/or try out with the equipment you currently have. I do not agree with the notiion that good pictures can only be acquired with an expensive DSLR and tons of equipment and lenses. When you learn the full functions and features of your camera, and have a good foundation in photo editing one can adjust for whatever limitations one has with the camera and get better photos. Although the author focuses on Photoshop Elements as their photo editor of choice, the techniqures discussed can be applied to any intermediate or advanced photo editing software like full blown Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro 5X. It definitely worth a read for those venturing beyond their cell phone as their primary camera and those who already have compact digital cameras and want to learn how to get optimal results.
I purchased this book for a friend, who has never been into photography, but was going to buy a very expensive DSLR (in the thousands). I suggested they first but a nice compact camera, for under $600, and give it a test run.

A camera, is a wonderful thing...but it us useless if it is nit with you. One thing I have noticed in the last fee years, my DSLR only goes on trips or special outings with me. These new little cameras can take spectacular pictures, especially if you have guides like this.
Plus, they weight less! :)
VINE VOICEon May 31, 2012
I learned a lot from Rick Sammon's book about using my camera. I have one that has way more power than I knew.

The downside of the book is the temptation to buy an DSLR, even though he explains how to get most of the shots with a compact camera.

If you have a compact camera and aren't sure how to use it's many choices get this book.
on June 8, 2011
...be aware that this book is NOT really intended for users of typical "point and shoot" digital cameras; it's intended for users of more expensive "compact digital" cameras, with features similar to a DSLR, but at a reduced cost, and without the ability to interchange lenses. Regardless, there are still lots of good, logical tips contained in the book, along with some breathtaking photographs. For the price, it's a definite win, and it should help improve just about anyone's picture taking ability if you take the tips/lessons to heart. The author is a world class photographer, as well as an accomplished teacher of photography, and I appreciate his decision to write a book for photographers using something other than an SLR or DSLR.
on August 28, 2012
As a passionate camera enthusiast I think that this book is really all you need. Unlike most publications, it teaches you how to take great pictures with any camera, namely point and shoots, and it doesn't fill your head with the nonsense that you have to buy all kinds of expensive equipment that will cost you an arm and a leg in order to take a good picture...In plain English its fun. It keeps photography easy, simple and economic in an era in which cameras and cell phones have merged ... and where its really just a matter of time before the computer software completely takes over the role that F stops and aperture settings currently play, hence traditional cameras will be redundant.
on February 19, 2011
I bought this book thinking it would address issues and scenarios commonplace with just about any point and shoot digital camera. While the book does provide wealth of information on technique useful to beginners most of what's presented seems to be for someone with a more advance point and shoot like Canon's G series line. I have a Kodak C190 - a far cry from being in a league with the likes of a G12. All in all, it's a good read to get some good shooting advice. If you have a simple point and shoot without aperture and shutter priority this might not be the book for you. If you have something the aforementioned G12, this book should be to your liking.
on August 19, 2011
This book is extremely basic. Most of the what is written is common sense. While there may be a few good tips, most of these apply to photography in general and have nothing to do with compact cameras (and are better explained in other books). The overly simplistic writing feels patronizing at times. Finally, many of the example photos in the book are pictures of the author's family and friends, and this gives the book a very amateurish feel. Overall, not recommended.
on August 17, 2013
The author used a Canon G10 in his example pictures. However, he talks little about how to play with such kind of high-end compact cameras to get the full potential out of it. Rather he spends most of the book on skills which are applicable to both compact cameras and SLRs. So the name of the book is a bit misleading.
on May 9, 2012
I really enjoyed the book. It was very easy to read and avoids getting too technical. As the author states in the book, all of the ideas and tips in the book can be applied to both compact cameras and DSLRs as well. I would recommend this as a book to anyone relatively new to photography to get a good grasp of the fundamentals. Towards the end of the book he also covers some basic skills for Photoshop Elements.
on January 1, 2015
I learned a lot. I would have liked a little more depth on some of the topics, but he gave some good references as to where to look for further information. I wasn't expecting so much coverage of Photoshop Elements, but it sparked my interest.