Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on May 7, 2015
As my husband and I are jumping into the D&D games (accompanied by my best friend and her boyfriend), I figured this would be an excellent intro for me to the game. Mostly, it was. Mazzanoble does a fine job of explaining D&D vernacular and slang, giving advice on weapons, class, fighting and interactions with team members. The writing was humorous at points, even earning an out-loud chuckle a few times. My qualm with the book is two fold, however. 1. The endless pop-culture reference got old. fast. The constant barrage of girly-girl nonsense (Prada-this, Oprah-that, Pedicure-this, High Heels-that) was funny the first few times, but by the second and third chapter, I was done. I wanted more information about the game and less omg-my-magic-boots-are-jimmy-choos! 2. While she breaks the stereotypes for D&D players, she simultaneously builds them for girls! Not every girl is going to interrupt the DM to ask about shopping or bring low-fat granola or whatever. I felt this book had a very narrow target audience, and wasn't for all girls or ever most girls, but a small sliver of girls - the ones who wear Jimmy Choo shoes. For my part, I will recommend it to new girl D&D players, but I will give it a disclaimer due to this 2 facts.
on April 25, 2015
Exactly what I was looking for!
on October 24, 2014
I've been wanting to get into D&D for years - but the stats bit always made me dizzy. I'm more of a in it for the story girl. Read this book - and it all finally clicked. Love this book! Must have for every D&D girl! And DM's - too few DM's don't understand what drives women players. This might give them a clue. Give us a chance to develop our characters as people! Whether that person likes shoes - like the author - or persuing friendships/lovers/frenemies/enemies like mine do.
on June 7, 2014
This is the book that helped me the most getting started doing D&D. I grabbed a copy for my friend's wedding (they're both big geeks, she'll love it) and for my daughter when she's old enough to play. It's a great gift and explains the game really well.
on March 18, 2013
In the introductory passages the author tells you that countless copies of this book have been sold as gifts for girls that hold an important part of a gamer's life. This is true. I can safely say that every copy of this book I have ever purchased has ended up in the hands of a friend that wanted to read it before buying one for his own girlfriend, and instead just passed it on. It is a book taht I can never keep on my own shelf as the copies wander away with friends never to return.
VINE VOICEon December 1, 2012
I give this book my highest recommendation. Ms. Mazzanoble has written a wonderful tongue-in-cheek description of fantasy role-playing that is both accurate and accessible. I wish someone had written this book 30 years ago.

I've been in the table top role-playing community since the mid-70s, and gender balance at the gaming table has often been an issue. Parties (groups of players) with a balanced number of men and women has a wonderfully different and richer dynamic than a table with just male players.

Ms. Mazzanoble's book is a dream come true for me as it talks about fantasy role-playing in a way that role-playing come alive in an engaging way for the ladies. I have given this book to husbands, boyfriends, and to ladies attending board gaming events and have had over a dozen women start role-playing with our gaming group based on reading this book.

**Caveat: Yes, the book has a lot of cliches in it. So does the Harry Potter series and the Twilight Saga. The cliches are over-the-top on purpose and are designed to be amusing; they are not designed to put down women. (If you want to read something that has less cliches read Fifty Shades Trilogy: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, Fifty Shades Freed 3-volume Boxed Set. Then you will come running and screaming back to read Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the D&D Game (Dungeons & Dragons). ;-) )**

The author starts with character creation and then steps the reader all the way through a role-playing session with common sense descriptions of all the rules.

The book covers the rules, social aspects, and what has kept my players coming back to the gaming table week after week for over 35 years.

Really well done!

In service,

Rich
on November 28, 2012
Great book for learning the basics. If you're a guy trying to get a girl interested in D&D, this is a great book to give her. It presents the game in a simple, understandable, and entertaining way. It's much less intimidating than handing them the Player's Handbook and expecting them to want to wade through all the rules and details right off the bat. This gets their attention and makes them interested in learning more. It goes through everything from rolling a character to when to use of all those funny shaped dice to how much more fun it can be to play a game where everyone in the party is on the same side rather than competing. It also does a great job of dismissing or explaining all of those games stereotypes floating around that sometimes discourage new people from joining in.

Personally though, I liked Mazzanoble's second book - "Everything I Need to Know I Learned from D&D" - more. It's less rule book and more memoir. As a female player, I found myself nodding along to several of her stories, remembering my own first times and pit falls. So if you're trying to pull in a true skeptic, I'd get both but start them on "Everything..." so they see how interesting and fun it can be so that they then _want_ to learn the rules and build a character. "Everything..." is also a bit less specifically aimed at girls; I have suggested it to several of the guys I've gamed with and they enjoyed it, too.
on March 17, 2012
This is a wonderful book! I've been reading it out loud with my boyfriend who plays D&D and it has had us both laughing sometimes not at the same thing but it is really good.
on January 30, 2012
I bought this because I'm reading all the RPG/Geeky stuff I can find right now. It was a great eye opening read from the female point of view on D&D. I found some of it funny, some of it useful and all of it pink! LOL. Girls trying to figure out if D&D is for them will like it and guys trying to get girls to join in should buy a couple copies to pass out.
on January 5, 2012
I brought this book for my girlfiend and she quickly became disinterested in the subject material after reading the first few chapters. The author seems to scream through almost every page that she is not a weirdo or strange because she plays DND and that normal people still play this game. She asserts that she is a woman in the truest sense almost constantly, not because she appreciates the fact, because she feels that makes her unique to the other dnd players. She analyzes and critiques other players based soley on the aesthetic values and seems to be obsessed with trivial details in the game that are of no use to a player. This book is not dnd in essence but a collection of her own inner struggles with conformity.