|Print List Price:||$8.99|
Save $5.00 (56%)
Conflicted: A Novel Kindle Edition
Kindle Feature Spotlight
|Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||Page Flip: Enabled|
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Try Kindle Countdown Deals
Explore limited-time discounted eBooks. Learn more.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Because, this story isn't easy to rate. It *is* easy to rate in the creative sense. There aren't many authors writing a world in which young men are kidnapped and "remade" into Stepford-like sex slaves through imprisonment and torture. That kind of world-building takes guts and talent.
Gabriel's backstory reminded me at times of the great 1960 horror movie "Peeping Tom" - another plot where a child is severely damaged by a father's treatment.
But I thought the story fell down in making Gabriel redeemable. I could, just, feel pity for his character. Maybe, he's NOT redeemable, but (SPOILER) his desire to heal Caleb's broken mind at the end *does* point to regret, and regret is at least a first step to redemption.
Of course one could argue that Gabriel's regret is simply selfish. Of course he wants to heal Caleb, so that he can have a healthy loving companion (slave).
Well, it is that kind of book. It leaves you with more questions than answers. The end is as abrupt as some reviews have pointed out, and it's definitely a story that wasn't "ended" in a traditional way.
The end is part of the reason for my rating. The other reasons are the suspension of disbelief required in a practical sense - really, Gabriel's henchmen are SO loyal to him (SPOILER) as to allow him to cut off their pinky fingers for allowing Caleb's escape? There's never any indication that Caleb's foster family is looking for him - and no investigator questions Gabriel, the last person he's been seen with?
But ultimately, CONFLICTED is such a dark, different, "love" story. The feelings that surface upon reading it - and the fact that the reader isn't handed a resolution - make Conflicted a compelling read.
Anyway, this is still a great story, and one I will reread again and again. Other than change of names, I didn't find many differences between Conflicted and Dark Silence, granted it has been a while since I read Dark Silence. Maybe they were small and/or I just don't remember.
This is a dark story. Don't take the warnings for granted. This book includes a father treating his son like nothing more than a research subject, and breaking and molding him into only what the father needs, not what the son should have. This includes captives having their minds broken via extreme isolation before having their minds then molded into what the clients want. This book involves blood and attempts at making it all better with small gestures that just make the captive look for, not the reward, but what they did wrong while receiving it.
You get sucked in, and can't resist turning the page to see what's going to happen next.
I really hope there is a sequel to this book. I really want to find out what happens after the end of the book. Hopefully it will happen someday. Until then I will read whatever else Katze Snow puts out. She is an excellent author, and I can't resist snapping up and devouring everything she writes.
Caleb is a subject in which Gabriel takes personal interest. He lures the 21 year old gamer to Scotland with the promise of a scholarship and a ticket to some gaming event. There Gabriel sets his goons to kidnap him and transport him to his secret facility where the torture begins.
But Caleb is special, and Gabriel falls for him although he did not plan this. I did not like the boy at first because he acted like a douche, but it was superficial from me, and only at the end did I see the growth in Caleb from what he was and what he had become. The boy was strong and I liked him very much. Gabriel… not so much.
From an entertainment perspective I was a bit bored until 40%, mildly interested until 70% and very entertained by the rest 30%. The ending of this book was sublime. Not saying more because I don’t want to spoil it.
I read an arc and left an honest review.