Lyft Industrial Deals Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18_gno

The Conjuring (Blu-Ray)
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on September 26, 2014
Well, here we are, digging into a haunted house story with roots tied to Amittyville. Those roots are Ed and Lorraine Warren. Parapsychologists? Ghost hunters? Demonoligists? Kooks? Pick your label. I'm going to stay away from doing so because I think they're all of those and more. Leading lives as people who seek out strange phenomena and try to deal with the darker sides of reality, you might think that they are insane, and you would probably be right. Some of the cases that they have reported on and been involved with would make even the heartiest of skeptics think twice. So here we have The Conjuring. Before Amittyville, which is probably the Warrens' most famous case, we had a big, scary farmhouse in Harrisville, Rhode Island. The year is 1971. And the Perron family has just moved in.

The film actually starts with the story of Anabelle, a hugely scary-looking possessed doll (movie coming soon) that runs amok on a couple of college girls, ransacking their apartment and writing notes and being super-creepy. In steps the Warrens and they put an end to Anabelle's reign of terror, taking the doll with them and stashing it in their personal depository of cursed things in a locked room in their own home. Here is where you need to drop the whole "Based On A True Story" nonsense right off the bat. If Hollywood has gotten its hooks in it, it's not very TRUE at all. Sure, there are certain aspects of the film that are based on actual accounts, but in this case, take for instance Anabelle. In the movie the doll is three feet tall and literally scary as f*ck. I mean, when you see it, your first reaction is "Who in the hell would own that doll, let alone sleep with it in their room?" It is one step away from the creepy clown doll in Poltergeist. Same deal. Anabelle (the real Anabelle, and yes, she's real) is actually a Raggedy Ann doll. And she has done some seriously creepy things (if you care to research). She is locked up in a cabinet at the New England Society For Psychic Research. But she bears no resemblance to the doll in the movie nor do they tell you what she did after leaving the college girls' home. So, like I said, keep that "Based On A True Story" stuff out of the equation and realize that this is just a really scary movie. Enter the Perron family. Mom (Lili Taylor). Dad (Ron Livingston). Five daughters. The move into the dilapidated farmhouse and everything is going great except the family dog absolutely refuses to enter the house and one of their daughters finds a boarded up entrance to a cellar filled with all kinds of stuff from a rotting piano to various other furnishings. The next day they their dog, Sadie, is discovered dead in the yard by their youngest daughter April, who also finds a mysterious and creepy antique music box. Let the serious haunting begin. At first its subtle. A slammed door. Weird sensations. Two of their daughters are accosted by some dark figure in the bedroom. The ghosties go full out when husband Roger is away in Florida. Enter Ed and Lorraine Warren. Their house isn't haunted. It's infested with a demonic force that is surrounding the family. Leaving is not an option. The force will just follow them. Researching the property, Ed and Lorraine discover that it has a case of the nasties spanning all the way back to the spooky days when the original 200 acre property was owned by an accused witch, Bathsheba, who tried to sacrifice her week-old child to the devil and killed herself in 1863, cursing anyone who would try and take possession of her land. Since that time the land had been parceled and split and the Warrens discover a plethora of bad things, murders and suicides, have take place in the surrounding properties over the years. Uh. Oh.

The Conjuring is scary. Super scary. From the director of Saw and Insidious, James Wan. Not the pedigree I would have preferred. I can't stand ultra-gore tripe like Saw and Insidious was just decent. Wan outdoes himself here. Forget both of those aforementioned franchises. The Conjuring just might be his masterpiece. There is no real gore here. There is no nudity or sex of any kind. No curse words (of the vulgar variety, to be sure). No ultra-violence. None of the above. This movie is rated R because it is absolutely terrifying. The true story aspect tends to lend to that credibility (but like I said, how much? how far?). The Warrens are real people. The Perrons are real people. Anabelle is a real doll. Whatever else is purely speculative. All I can say is, if even 20 minutes of this movie is true, those people should have gotten a medal. Seriously. With the hooflaw that surrounded The Amittyville Horror after Hollywood got a hold of it, The Conjuring should just remain a scary movie. End of story. The acting is good. The characters are real. You don't find yourself hating them like you do in most scary movies, for making stupid decisions. The Perrons don't play with Ouija boards or mediums or tarot cards. They don't invite this entity into their house. It's already there. And it's been waiting for anyone to come along and play.

Dig it!
on January 1, 2018
Not typically a fan of paranormal type of movies as I just dont find them scary and often times simply hilarious(Ouiji, Paranormal Activity, etc) however, the Conjuring and The Conjuring 2 is a GREAT movie own its own without the horror aspect. James Wan is actually a GOOD DIRECTOR FIRST and then a horror director second. He prioritizes good acting, getting good and creepy cinematography, and actually having a good plot. The choice to go with Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga for Ed and Lorraine Wilson was also a great decision. Terrific actors who are believable in their roles. It's going to hard to see them as anything else now.
on September 4, 2016
One of the better horror movies. Wasn't too corny and knowing that it's a true story makes it much more creepier. It's a fun ride with surprise jump out of your seat, heart attack moments. Love whatever Vera Farmiga is in. Spoiler alert: kind of a corny way to cast the devil out of you though. Didn't ruin the movie, and I could brush it off and not mind it at all. Only reason a 4 and not a 5. Can't wait to see the 2nd Conjuring.
on January 19, 2018
Arguably the best horror movie in recent years I can't describe how satisfied I was when I left the movie theater after watching this. Only thing I've experienced that comes that close or about the same was when I watched The Exorcist and Paranormal Activity 1 so it really feels like a horror masterpiece so it was extremely obvious I was getting this the second it came out in Blu-ray for my horror collection. Amazing movie from start to finish and I think it's safe to say The Conjuring establishes the new standard for true horror in this day and age, leaving gore/slasher horror aside this film brings back and captures perfectly the good old haunted house style of film and executes its tension building and scares like no other modern movie. I demand you true horror fans to GET THIS!!
on October 29, 2013
I rented this one at the recommendation of a friend during my "Halloween movie-fest" tradition. Let's face it: haunted houses have been done to death (bah-dum-CHING), so it would have to take a recommendation for me to view it. The story, as most in this genre do, introduces the family to their new home and lets them get moved in before anything happens. The first thing I liked about this one was that things started to happen pretty quickly, after their first night there actually. At the same time that we are getting to know the family, we are also introduced to the Warrens...a couple who are somewhat famous paranormal investigators. That added another level of interest to the story-line. Without wanting to give too much away, there were several occurrences that had me jumping, and several times that I wanted to fast-forward a little (I call this my litmus test...if I get nervous about what might happen and want to speed it up so I don't get too scared). I did have some of my usual thoughts during horror movies (the way the walls always look dirty in these movies and why wouldn't someone paint them before moving in; I would totally not stay in a house that my animal didn't want to go into; after you know something scary is going on, why would you go take a nap by yourself in another room far, far away). But nothing kept me from getting into the movie, getting scared, and enjoying it. The movie moved along at a nice pace and I would definitely recommend it.
on January 12, 2014
Horror has been a mainstay of cinema since the silent movie era. You wouldn't think there would be anything to add to the genre but "The Conjuring" contradicts that theory. The beauty of James Wan's film is it references old films with a modern touch. I spotted the influence of the classic Hammer films, Robert Wise's "The Haunting", and, yes, William Friedkin's "The Exorcist". I think what distinguishes this film from others of its ilk is its humanity. We actually have characters to root for instead of a bloodfeast. When the tormented family's dog is killed by the malevolent force you cry along with the kids. When the mother(Lili Taylor) is possessed by same entity you feel the pain of her kin. I think what elevates the film is its two main characters, Ed and Larraine Warren)Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga), married paranormalists who along with the love for one another share a religious conviction. The Warrens are based on real persons and I would love to see them in future cinematic ventures. "The Conjuring" is an intelligent film that I would wholeheartedly recommend to even those who are not horror buffs.
on October 27, 2014
I'm not normally a fan of horror/thriller movies, but I watched this in preparation to go see Anabelle with a friend. This movie was actually done very well I thought. They have a very good base story line with a few other subplots that all get a decent amount of screen time such that everything fits together very well and none of the story threads feel like they're just left unfinished.

I will admit that this movie made me jump twice, and that is not easy to do. For me that means you have to give me a story that is interesting enough that I quit trying to pay attention to whats going on in favor of following the story and trying to put myself in the character's shoes. And as far as the "lets go down in the dark basement by ourselves with no light where we just heard a strange noise" scenarios go, (which are something that I really dislike in movies), this movie doesn't really have them. In fact, there is one moment early on in the movie that almost seems like a nod to this or poking fun at this where one of the characters starts to go into the dark basement by himself, goes down like two steps, then stops and ask for a box of matches. While not a whole lot better, this at least made me feel like the character was TRYING to think before he acted...
on January 11, 2014
A very good movie horror.Probably the best new movie with all the visual effects.And the music of the movie is perfectly synchronized with this kind of genre. And the actors played very well in special Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga in the roll of Ed and Lorraine Warren but also Lili Taylor and Ron Livingston in the roll of Carolyn and Roger Perron. This movie should be awarded with an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Patrick Wilson in my opinion.

And the director of the movie is also the one who directed Insidious,both chapters is also good at this job in this kind of genre. My vote for this movie is 10 out of 10 because i think that is a very good movie.
on January 23, 2017
Pretty good horror movie in a time when studios are just trying to churn out cheap thrillers in order to get some quick cash. Has a good story, is shot well, and the effects are pretty good. It won't go down in history as a well remembered horror movie, but it's still worth adding to anybody's collection
on February 18, 2018
First time I saw this was with an ex of mine. We grabbed for each other every time the movie made us jump (which was surprisingly a lot). I don't scare easily, but this movie did scare me. They did an awesome job filming it.