Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The Conjuring (Blu-Ray)
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on October 27, 2014
I'm not normally a fan of horror/thriller movies, but I watched this in preparation to go see Anabelle with a friend. This movie was actually done very well I thought. They have a very good base story line with a few other subplots that all get a decent amount of screen time such that everything fits together very well and none of the story threads feel like they're just left unfinished.

I will admit that this movie made me jump twice, and that is not easy to do. For me that means you have to give me a story that is interesting enough that I quit trying to pay attention to whats going on in favor of following the story and trying to put myself in the character's shoes. And as far as the "lets go down in the dark basement by ourselves with no light where we just heard a strange noise" scenarios go, (which are something that I really dislike in movies), this movie doesn't really have them. In fact, there is one moment early on in the movie that almost seems like a nod to this or poking fun at this where one of the characters starts to go into the dark basement by himself, goes down like two steps, then stops and ask for a box of matches. While not a whole lot better, this at least made me feel like the character was TRYING to think before he acted...
on June 6, 2016
Good movie and I liked that it was based on a true story, that leads to more believability. It had many scary and intense parts. Overall a good movie with a good story line.
on October 27, 2013
Dear The Conjuring,
You scared me. But I'm beginning to understand why... here's a list of everything you "sampled" into your movie:

An old scary Victorian house, a scary tree, a scary pond/lake, scary children in white nightgowns, scary children that sleepwalk, a scary basement, scary hidden spaces, scary antique furniture that moves on its own (like multiple rocking chairs that rock when no one is in them), doors that open and close on their own, clocks that stop at 3AM, a scary TV that comes on with static, a scary children's toy that plays creepy music and has a spinning mirror and a clown that pops up, a scary life-size doll that moves, a dead dog, birds that fly into windows and die, spirits that grab your feet when they aren't covered with a blanket, a steady-cam-scene, a scary girl-looking-under-her-bed-scene, a scary scene where the lights go out and all you have is matches, a scene where a team sets up their paranormal surveillance gear, a scary children's game involving clapping, murder-suicides, a priest, someone speaking Latin, multiple exorcisms, a noose, a creepy locket... yikes.

I could be mad you stole these things, or that you packed some many cliches into one movie, but you reminded me why they were scary in the first place. And for that I thank you.
on May 18, 2016
If you are looking for a paranormal film this is it. I watched the sequel Annabelle after so I understood the plot, but the movie still had me scared. The casting was phenomenal and the acting skill was extremely believable. I would recommend this because of the classic in horror movies and would put this next to the original poltergeist. The movie will definitely have you on the edge of your seat.
on November 15, 2016
Normally never "creeped" out by the horror genre. However, this twist on the haunted house theme is very effective. Many of the action devices, i.e., sensing a presence, one individual seeing a ghost in the shadows that others can't see, creaky doors, a spooky basement, a family pet found dead, the old childhood fear of lying in bed in the dark with something pulling at your let etc. really create a sense of dread. Well acted scares. Don't watch at 2:00 AM in the dark.
on October 29, 2013
I rented this one at the recommendation of a friend during my "Halloween movie-fest" tradition. Let's face it: haunted houses have been done to death (bah-dum-CHING), so it would have to take a recommendation for me to view it. The story, as most in this genre do, introduces the family to their new home and lets them get moved in before anything happens. The first thing I liked about this one was that things started to happen pretty quickly, after their first night there actually. At the same time that we are getting to know the family, we are also introduced to the Warrens...a couple who are somewhat famous paranormal investigators. That added another level of interest to the story-line. Without wanting to give too much away, there were several occurrences that had me jumping, and several times that I wanted to fast-forward a little (I call this my litmus test...if I get nervous about what might happen and want to speed it up so I don't get too scared). I did have some of my usual thoughts during horror movies (the way the walls always look dirty in these movies and why wouldn't someone paint them before moving in; I would totally not stay in a house that my animal didn't want to go into; after you know something scary is going on, why would you go take a nap by yourself in another room far, far away). But nothing kept me from getting into the movie, getting scared, and enjoying it. The movie moved along at a nice pace and I would definitely recommend it.
on May 9, 2017
I like movies that are based on a true story. I live in New England so there seem to be plenty of haunted house movies based on places near me. The movie was interesting enough to prompt me to do more research. I'm never quite sure if these stories have more to do with haunted houses or haunted families, but in any case, I enjoyed the movie and would watch it again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 27, 2017
I'm didn't watch it because it was based on a true story. I watched it because it looked like a good horror movie.

It was a good horror movie. First one in forever that made me hesitate turning around after watching it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2016
Moderately scary, but for some it may be a bit much. I was raised on horror movies, so this one I'm sure will go some what easy on your imagination. And for some it may be a little shocking. I liked it.
on July 20, 2013
James Wan is a horror director that might have finally peaked with this one. His first SAW film was the best of the bunch and while Insidious had flaws, it also had some great scare moments and visuals. The Conjuring is a near perfect ghost/demonic possession movie. The scares are not cheap and they are 90% effective. A couple felt a little forced, but overall this is one the creepiest movies I have seen in theaters.

Based on a "true story" that takes place in 1971, a family becomes the victim of some evil forces in their new house. Two paranormal investigators are brought in to gather evidence. They are based on the famous couple that also investigated The Amityville Horror years later.

The acting is great all around from the kids and adults. I like how they didn't use any big name actors. Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson and Ron Livingston are relatively well known, but thankfully no huge star power here to completely take you out of the film.

Very little gore, no foul language or nudity in a horror movie? Believe it or not, this thing earned the R rating for pure scares alone. Now don't get too overhyped or anything. I personally didn't jump in my seat or want to cover my eyes (though many scenes are quite chilling), but plenty of people around me did.

This is the first movie that has made me want to review it in a month. The Lone Ranger (2 and 1/2 out of 5 stars) and Pacific Rim (3 and 1/2 out of 5 stars) didn't surprise me enough to warrant my time reviewing them.

The Conjuring is my favorite film so far this year. Let's leave it at that.
1818 comments| 441 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse