- Paperback: 174 pages
- Publisher: Pearson Education ESL; 3rd edition (November 23, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0131115936
- ISBN-13: 978-0131115934
- Product Dimensions: 8.1 x 0.3 x 9.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 10 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,800,995 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Consider the Issues: Listening and Critical Thinking Skills, 3rd Edition 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
An exciting, proven approach to listening comprehension and discussion, based on authentic radio broadcasts from NPR's "All Things Considered," "Weekend Edition," and "Morning Edition." Students are presented with interesting, relevant content in unedited everyday speech including hesitations, redundancies, and various dialectical patterns.
- Develops essential listening strategies, including predicting, looking at language, understanding main ideas and points of view, focusing on details, and note-taking.
- Fosters critical thinking skills through follow-up activities that include discussion, debate, values clarification, and writing assignments.
- Integrates language and concepts through sophisticated grammar and vocabulary activities.
Audio programs comprising original radio broadcasts are available for each book.
Consider the Issues Features:
- Twelve thought-provoking units -- six new to this edition -- emphasize critical thinking activities such as discussion, debate, and values clarification.
- New topics include cell phone courtesy, globalization, medicine as business, philanthropy, how technology is blurring boundaries between home and work, and the influence of media on young adults.
- New pronunciation strand provides practice with native English sound patterns.
- Inferencing questions encourage students to find implied meanings.
Listen to a sample from the audio CDs:
From Unit 1: A Courtesy Campaign (4:55)
Raise the Issues, Third Edition
Face the Issues, Third Edition
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
However, my main concern is that book and cd are sold separately, and that the publisher no longer includes the audio script in the book. In fact, to date, I have been unable to acquire audio scripts. They are supposed to be available on the publisher's website, but you have to have a "password", which is only available, according to the website, if you are a student purchasing the book in the "university bookstore."
Wouldn't it have been nice if the publisher had been a little more conscientious about giving us all of the product, instead of piecemealing it for extra profit?
I'm an English teacher/tutor and my students who want this quality product pay for it, but still. If you'd like some guidance in buying the kind of English study products to suit your individual needs, and budget, contact me at: rucompat at yahoo period com.