Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Laurence Fishburne and Bryan Cranston, along with medical journalist Sanjay Gupta, explore the real science of global viruses and what they mean to the human race. The world is preparing for the next biological disaster...but is it too late?
- Contagion: How A Virus Changes The World
- The Reality of Contagion
- The Contagion Detectives
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
1) infectious diseases have the potential to spread quickly throughout the globe in today's modern world, and governments do not have the capacity to deal with a truly virulent and contagious pandemic
2) more than even the direct death and consequences of that death caused by it, a major pandemic could destroy functional society through mass panic
3) in any disaster there are individuals who use the mass panic and desperation of people to their own benefit, causing even more problems. Think MMR vaccine and completely unfounded claims about autism and how politicians take advantage of people's fears for their loved ones to gain support by fearmongering.
The actors are truly believable, as is the story. It is entirely possible for a virus to spread and to spread with the quickness depicted. My favorite part of the movie is seeing how each of the smallest actions serve as a viral transmission and how unaware people are of the actions they take.
I appreciate the view of the government agencies and how much more difficult it is to deal with situations than any of us could ever know. I also appreciate the view of the media. It is interesting how easily people will believe what they read on a blog or see on TV.
Perhaps the best depiction is that of the population - the people. The reactions of the multitudes is very real and very scary. People fight over food and medications. There is a lack of unity and a general fear for your own safety. I could feel the tenseness as the people waited in line for a food ration. It is madness the ideas of what people, ordinary people, can and most likely will become if this sort of thing ever happens. Truly, I believe that at some point it will. Only time will tell.
So for less than $5 used on Amazon I was willing to give it a shot. It's really very good. I was a big fan of the movie Outbreak in 1995 and this one does a credible job as a techno-thriller. It's kind of a Crichton novel type of movie with lots of believable characters, good dialogue and realistic science. Mostly realistic science. Probably the weakest point (and I hate to say this) is Mark Wahlberg's character. Not bad but just comes across like a cow in a twister movie. I love his other work so it's not him, just the way the character was written.
Overall I like it and have watched it 3 or 4 times. I can see pulling this one down every year or so to watch again. Well worth my money.
Sound like a plot from West Africa and now? Absolutely so. What happens is depicted accurately too, which is really the scary part, though for a more in-depth look of how the government will react, you have to watch Outbreak with Dustin Hoffman.
Most recent customer reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy