Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by The Lone Bellow GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon kidsevergreen kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies kidsevergreenaltText Choose channels with their favorite shows and movies  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 284 reviews
It was blue triangles in the first book of this trilogy - Infected. This time around the pathogen has gone contagious and people are not only getting blue triangles but some are "lucky" enough to be hit with crawlers.

Ex-football player "Scary" Perry Dawsey is back, along with CIA operative Dew Phillips, who actually gets the job of reining Scary Perry in. Dr. Margaret Montoya with the CDC rounds out the core group of the good guys.

And unlucky development - the bad guys are harder to identify this time around.

What another rollercoaster of a thrill ride! Author Sigler doesn't pull any punches as he shows us heartland US of A being brought to its knees by this deadly disease.

Whether you are looking for hard-hitting horror or hard sci fi, "Contagious" delivers a gut wrenching winner. I didn't find it as cringeworthy as "Infected" but I would still say you need a strong stomach to be reading this second book of the series.

I'm off now to read the final book in the trilogy - Pandemic. I'm glad I'm done with my Christmas shopping, wrapping, etc. because I'm treating myself to an early Christmas gift - total immersion.
on April 9, 2014
This novel is an immediate sequel to the author’s plague genre work, Infected. While it may not be strictly necessary to read Infected prior to reading this novel (there are frequent information dumps for those that haven’t), I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t read the original before the sequel. In Infected, an alien construct implants “seeds” into human hosts which mature into “hatchlings”. The hatchlings then leave their human hosts and proceed to build a device for interstellar transport of the alien species to Earth.

In this sequel, after several unsuccessful attempts, the alien construct begins to make changes in its strategy, introducing a means for spreading the “disease” among human hosts. This novel details the political, strategic, medical and military responses to each succeeding refinement of the alien construct, culminating in a suspenseful and well crafted climax

The warning I would have for a potential reader of this novel is that it is incredibly violent, graphic and many times disgusting in its description of the process by which the “aliens” take charge of their hosts and the resulting behavior of those “infected”. I’ve probably never read a more descriptive account of biological processes and responses than I encountered in this book. However, if you read Infected, you know what I’m talking about. If you enjoyed the first book, there is nothing in this sequel that will disappoint you.

I enjoyed this novel slightly more than the original, as it contained a good progression of moves and countermoves in combination with good character development. Many of the characters in Infected are present in this story as well, but some will not make it to the third installment (Pandemic). My only criticism would be with the very short chapters. There are 4-5 story threads at work at times, and most chapters are only a few pages in length. A number are one page or less. Constantly switching back and forth between story lines and characters makes it difficult to engage at times.

In any event, I found this to be an excellent follow up novel to Infected as it advanced the underlying theme of the series in a progression of action filled and captivating scenarios. I immediately began reading the third book in the series upon completing it.
on January 20, 2014
I basically finished this in two days. I don't think I could have stretched it to three and kept the top of my skull from flying off and the remaining brain goo oozing down my face.

There's some cold shit in here. There's heroes of a sort but none you want to have over to dinner. These heroes are the people who advise, order and carry out the worst things that a nation can do to another. And it gets worse from there

It's a great read, no doubt about that. But if you're like me you may feel a bit different about some things after you've finished.

I'm glad I waited until Pandemic's release was imminent to read this but not sure I'm glad I preordered. I'm a little scared to go where that one goes.
on August 30, 2015
The most terrifying horror novels aren't the ones that are outlandish and full of overly detailed gore. They're the ones that are the most believable. The ones that require little to no suspension of disbelief. The ones you could easily picture your everyday self living through, and knowing there was no way you'd win. These are the books that you can't put down, that send those little chills down your spine and make you whisper to yourself in the dark 'what if.'

Contagious (along with Infected and Pandemic) is one of those books. It's terrifying in its realism (regardless of your belief, or lack there of, of aliens.) The responses the characters have, both as individuals and as a race as a whole, are plausible to the point that you don't stop to think 'why would you do that.' You think, why didn't you think to do it sooner? You empathize with them; you ride the roller coaster of emotion and horror and disgust with them. You love it, you hate it, you try to think of any other way for this book to end, but you can't. But I promise you, it's worth the trip.

Just make sure you've read the first novel, Infected, before picking this up. Or you'll be utterly lost.
And if you liked the first one, well, I imagine I don't need to sell you on the second.
on November 4, 2013
Immediately after I finished reading the first book in this series, Infected, I had to continue with Contagious. Although not your classic cliffhanger ending, I wanted to get to the next part of the story, and because I have read Contagious before, I knew that it was more action-packed, intense and gory apocalyptic horror just waiting for me.

Where Infected focuses on three main perspectives in Margaret, Perry and Dew, Contagious broadens to include a host of other unforgettable characters, some of whom are definitely not your normal baddies, and a disease that grows more and more brutal as the story continues.

What I particularly enjoyed about the characters in Contagious is the development - Perry is still dealing with the events of Infected and the impact is intense. As the book progresses however, he definitely develops into an even more admirable character and I really enjoyed seeing his relationships with the other characters grow. For much of Infected he was flying solo, and it was the final piece of his character that fell into place.

I also felt that I got to know Margaret as a character more intimately than I did after Infected, and it definitely warmed me to her, particularly as she struggled with some difficult decisions. Knowing that she is the main focus of the next book in the series, this was a huge plus for me - if I hadn't found her to be more likeable than in Infected, it probably would have muted my anticipation for Pandemic.

Dew also continues to become more of a well-rounded character as he begins to let down the walls that he had in the previous book and connects with the other characters on a more personal level. It felt like all three characters were completely invested in the storyline and in each other, and seeing that growth was incredibly satisfying.

One thing that really stood out to me in Contagious is the increased military presence. Understandably, its not that prevalent in Infected which focuses far more on the initial outbreak, but it's also something that I don't find particularly interesting, although by my standards it was very well written and explained. This is particularly where Contagious was a weaker book for me than Infected and I found the POV of the character most heavily involved in the military aspect to be the least interesting and I started to develop that nasty habit of rushing through a POV just to get through that part of the story. This is all a personal preference of course.

The pacing of the story is fast yet detailed and once again the shorter chapters (and the chapter headings are pure genius by the way) made it difficult to put the book down. The POVs switch quite often, which I know is a turn off for some people, but I like the fast-moving feeling that it gives the story as it fits with the pacing. Contagious ends not with a cliffhanger but openly, leaving a way for the story to be continued, but enough to round off the book perfectly.
on August 15, 2015
A friend recommended Infected so I bought it. As a writer myself, I picked it apart a bit but overall, it was entertaining. There's just something about the characters that's intriguing. Moving on to Contagious was a natural thing to do and this sequel surpassed my expectations. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Again, Sigler is an excellent character writer. It's very difficult to truly personify someone who is imaginary. That lives only in a book. But he does so, with ease it seems. The characters feel real, making a reader believe in everything they say and do. Bravo to Sigler. I'll be devouring Pandemic in the upcoming week. I'm more of a sci-fi movie person than books but these are heads above decent which means they're good, people. Worth the read.
on August 28, 2017
I'm not good at rating things but this was a great sequel, I like the characters and if Scott is not very knowledgeable on his subjects,,, he sure does a great job faking it!!
on June 3, 2013
Scott Sigler has become one of my favorite authors especially after reading this book. The plot throughout the novel in its entirety was more than enough to keep me reading until night turned to dawn. The intensity of the novel emanates tremendously through its pages. There's a chilling yet thrilling aspect at every turn of the page. Scott Sigler knows how to make his readers crave for more and comes back to satisfy that craving. He maintains the character personalities that he created in the prequel, Infected. This includes the infamous Perry Dawsey whom I personally grew to be fascinated by from his actions. Perry is one of those characters that can completely repulse you yet there's still something about him that keeps you on his side. Sigler has a slight Edgar Allen Poe effect to his writing and a mix with Avi. The emotions shown by the characters are beyond captivating and I could not help but to want to know more about them. The introduction to this novel was phenomenal. Sigler created this environment that completely related to the prequel but at the same time would not confuse the reader if they had skipped over the prequel. I highly recommend this book to any reader that's not afraid of intense visuals and a crude protagonist.
on January 4, 2009
Being the second book in a series, I highly recommend that you read 'Infected' before taking on 'Contagious'. This book is a continuation of an existing story and doesn't work as well as a 'stand alone' book. You need the background of 'Infected' for a lot of this book to make sense.

Read 'Infected' first.

6 weeks later ....
John Gutierez is the newly elected president of the United States. He hasn't even been inaugurated yet, but is being briefed by Deputy Director of CIA Murray Longworth regarding some strange incidents Longworth has recently been involved with. At first John thinks it's a joke, but soon discovers the situation is all too real.

There's a killer on the loose in the US of A, a deadly killer with a deadly purpose. People have become infected with a "virus" that causes their skin to erupt in lesions, shaped like blue triangles on the skin. Except these triangles are sentient, and after driving the human host insane they erupt from the host body into pyramid creatures with a single goal in mind - to build an arched gateway that leads to an unknown but deadly place. The only human to survive the triangle infection is ex-football star "Scary" Perry Dawsey. Dawsey performed radical surgery on himself to save his life, but is left with the ability to "track" carriers of the triangle infection. He senses them and goes after them, killing every infection person he encounters.

Followed by, and working with him, is CIA agent Dew Phillips. Doctor Margaret Montoya from the CCID has demanded that Dew bring her a live host, but Dew can't stop Perry from killing them first. Yet Perry is allowed to live and work with the CIA, because only through Perry can the government discover where a new "construct", or portal, is being built by the pyramids. Also returning from 'Infected' is Colonel Charlie Ogden, experienced in taking out the constructs and patiently waiting for orders to strike again.

But Perry senses something new this time. There's something else out there now, besides the triangles. Something new is floating in the air, something to protect the triangles and pyramids at all costs; a new hatchling - something that is intelligent ... and contagious.

VIOLENCE WARNING: Violence is a part of all horror books, but this particular book contains violence against children, and I feel it's appropriate to add this warning.

Both 'Infected' and 'Contagious' are very rapid paced books. Sigler doesn't warm you up for anything, he dives directly into the heat of battle and keep the incredible pace going right to the end of the book. You're always on the edge of your seat. Sigler doesn't spend much time building characters other than the new ones (such as President Gutierez) because most of the characters were already fleshed out in 'Infected'. It's like seeing old friends again. Sigler again tracks the "seedlings" though to a lesser extent, and introduces 'The Orbitor', the source of the seedlings.

The climactic build up was so intense that I read this book in just over 24 hours, including a very late night session. The ending is simply unbelievable, but get ready for what I see as a third book in the series (my fingers are crossed). Scott Sigler is a new author who deserves much more credit than he's received so far. We can all thank our lucky stars that the publishing companies have seen, and published, this amazing author's talented works. I'm looking forward to many long years of reading more Sigler, and waiting with bated breath for a movie deal for 'Infected', 'Earthcore', or 'Ancestor'; all three of which you should rush to purchase. I can't recommend 'Infected' and 'Contagious' enough. Enjoy!
on August 28, 2015
After the first book, this story starts to drag on longer than I feel like it needs to. It was really fascinating at first, but when they find out what the triangles are, I thought it was just a push too far. I would've liked it better if it stayed a contagion and hadn't gone so science-fictiony. I also felt that the relationship between Margaret and Clarence was an unnecessary side plot that took away from the main story. The ending of the story was a good twist and very surprising, but I really grew fond of the characters that were lost, and grew to dislike the ones that lived!